naughty kitty! HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Exclamation naughty kitty! HELP!

I need some opinions/advice from you more experienced cat people (or even people that work in vet practice)...

I don't know what Maggie's problem is the last couple days but she is being VERY VERY naughty!! She is almost acting like a wild animal!
She has been spayed so I know it isn't a matter of being in heat either.

She has been running up & down the halls frantically as if she is chasing something or trying to get away from something & everytime you go to pick her up or pet her she tries to bite you. If I try to take something away from her that isn't hers, for example an artificial rose, she will actually fight me for it. Yesterday when the ferrets were out she actually tangled herself up with Snoopy like he was prey!! I can't have this! We had to lock her in one of the bedrooms until the ferrets went back in their cage. She normally does NOT act like this! Also she will sit & sniff everything around her... shoes, pants, shirts, jackets, etc & when she is done she looks at you with an evil look & her mouth open. Even looking in her eyes she "just doesn't look right".

Is this a seasonal thing or could somthing be wrong?? I only know if I will call the vet I will get the normal - bring her in routine... which of course I certainly will if this warrats a visit, but I wanted to check with you guys first to see if this is some sort of normal behavior?

She is almost 9 months old, spayed & current on all vaccines.
Her eating, drinking & bathroom habits/behaviors are all normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

honestly kay, i don't know if you've been reading my "introducing two cats, help" thread, but this sounds like layla.

if this were a dog, i'd say something was wrong physically or behaviorally. but with a cat? she could just be a b*tch. for instance, there is nothing physically wrong with layla either, but she is a horror.

the running up and down the halls thing - that's common with cats. charlie does that and is playing. but he'll let you pick him up.

with layla - when we try to pick her up, she starts hissing at us when we get close. then if we pick her up anyways, she groans and moans deep in her chest. and when we put her down she swipes at us or bites us really hard.

now, for layla - when we brought her home at 8 weeks she was very feisty and would hide and then pounce on you and attach herself to your legs to attack, etc. so she's always had a mean streak.

if maggie is normally NOT like this and this is a sudden change in behavior, then ask yourself:
have there been any changes in the house?
any new people? animals?
did a spat occur with another person/animal that you thought was resolved?

if it's none of the above, then i'd ck with the vet. she could have something that makes her tummy hurt and that's why she doesn't want to be picked up. or she may have something else that is just putting her in a general bad mood.

just remember - often times, cats can just be mean and there is no explaination for it at all.

i wish you all the luck with her!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Jane...

There is no hissing or growling or anything of the sort just trying to bite. Nothing different in the household- just her being a SNOT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

she may have experienced something that you don't know about, but that she thinks you should have. ??? maybe there was a spat with another animal and you don't know about it and now, everytime you cuddle that other animal, she gets jealous. i have no idea! cats are a lot harder to figure out, girl! i'd take her to the vet just in case. good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My friend's cat was doing the running around like something was chasing her thing. She was acting scared all the time or attacking things she wouldn't normally play with or attack (like shoes). While my friend was petting the cat she noticed a lump under her jaw. It turned out the cat had an abscess and a slight fever. The vet said the fever was making her act crazy.

You might want to take her to the vet for a check up just to be safe.

Rhonda

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

This sounds a lot like how Pixel has acted the few times something has gone "wrong" i.e. she is out of food, her litter box is full, or i'm having a fight with my boyfriend.
She just runs through the apartment, climbing things she usually doesn't climb (like the curtains) and doesn't want to be held or pet.

So it might be that there is some little thing that has changed that she just doesn't like.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 02:08 PM

Honestly it sounds like typical cat behavior to me, especially the smelling with the mouth open thing. I equate it to wine tasting, they leave their mouths open to take in the full aroma. She's only 9 months and still a kitten. My 3 year olds get all riled up when I put a new batch of catnip on their scratching ramp. She just sounds like she is really hyper and playful. I would be careful with her around the ferrets though, cats are predatory animals and whether she wants to eat them or not she could hurt them. You may want to try using a squirt bottle (as much as I hate them). Cats are so resistant to human authority that sometimes it takes a little squirt in the hiney to get them to stop unwanted behaviors.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Hey Maggie has been taking lessons from Milko But he's been like it the whole time, and he was improving, but he just all of a sudden got incredibly naughty...he just turned 6 months and needs to be neutered...hormones are making him crazy.
Milko bites us, doesn't grow or hiss but if he is in a playful mood he just wants to bite (and hard, not enough to draw blood but not in a friendly manner either). He will just chow down on us. Unfortunately if he is being super naughty and we have to stop him, the only way for us to pick him up is by his scruff. It sounds terrible I know but otherwise we just can't touch him. Once we've got him, and can cuddle him he calms down, but to actually get him initially. We use a water spray with him too...it's the only thing he seems to respond to, and even then he will ignore it.
When Milko is being super naughty and super vicious we have to resort to locking him in the laundry. Only for ten minutes, and then he is out again, but he comes out a much calmer kitty. If we just try and get him to stop he gets worse and worse, and he has 'the look' too. See if time out with maggie will help, it might be worth a try. Milko just seems to get so over excited, like a hyper active kid who doesn't know when to stop. Send a kid to their room for five minutes to take a breath and calm down a bit...that's what we're doing with Milko.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Miss New Booty

Wow everyone has given great advice!! Dena is right, it could just be normal cat behavior. Might be good to have a water bottle handy, like she said. Smokie is a nut, he always wants to *play* with Ginger, but she doesn't really appreciate being pounced on while in a deep sleep! They start fighting but I think that he just wants to play.

Kay, I'm not sure about the biting, hon. I wonder about trying some Feliway? It can help stress, behavioral issues, etc. Might be worth a shot?
http://www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html

Rhonda had an interesting point about her friends cat, too. You never know!
I hope all is ok! Keep us posted and hang in there!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

My cat does soemthing similar this is going to sound nutty but around a full moon she gets weird. More frisky. Shes only 6 months old. She doesnt attack me or anything but she scatched the chair more. so i took a water bottle and filled half of it up put it in the freezer then when it was frozen filled the rest of it with water its cold enough to stun her, she doesnt mind water she hates freezing water.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks guys... my biggest concern more so than anything was the way she acted towards Snoopy... they have always been buddies & played together & all of a sudden she acts like she is trying to attack him... I am getting my bird in September & absolutely cannot risk any harm to the bird. This is why I am trying to find out if it is a "phase" & relatively normal or if I need to look more seriously at things with her behavior & possibly something medically wrong. I dunno--- Her temp is normal (I checked) so it isn't a fever reaction. I'll have to continue to keep an eye on her I guess.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Miss New Booty

Aww man, Kay, that is weird! I sure hope everything is ok with Maggie!

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Kay, Gerona will be two years old in October and STILL acts wild sometimes (and she was spayed at 9 months). Galina is the same.

I think it sounds like normal kitty behaviour to me, too. I think (from my experience, anyway) this is more common in the FEMALE cats I've had than the males. A squirt bottle does wonders, too. My girls have gotten to a point where just the MENTION of the squirt bottle calms them down a degree.

As for the biting, I can sympathise. Gerona will nip at you when you pick her up and she's in her wild phase. I usually tap her in the head and give her a firm "NO!" and then put her in the bathroom for a "time out." This may or may not work for you, I'm not sure. But, I said it just in case.

I would say that when she starts getting REALLY wild, use the squirt bottle. If, after that, she doesn't calm herself some, I would give her a short time out in a small room away from everyone else. With my girls, this is a GREAT attitude adjuster.

Keep us updated on your wild and frisky Maggie!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

spray bottle doesn't work as she comes back for more

I was thinking about it this morning - the only thing that has changed besides the windows being open more for fresh air is I changed her food.

I used to feed her Natural Gourmet but she diidn't seem to want to eat it- so I switched her to Royal Canin (which is what the rescue was feeding her when I got her back in October). Could that be a cause??
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Possibly. How much protein is it giving her? It could be giving her more energy.

And, the windows being open could be a STRONG key factor as well. I know that when we have a window open, the cats are CRAZY. Not just wild, but CRAZY! The fresh air really makes them go nuts. Oi ... and it gets even worse if I want to leave the door open.

So, you could be looking at "Spring Fever" in Maggie!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
litter box, male cat, royal canin, wild animal