Need advice... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Lee0923

Need advice...

Oh, this will probably be a long one.

I started out with 2 cats. They knew each other from the beginning of their lives. Their names are Pippa (female) and Simba (male).

1 1/2 years ago, I rescued a 10 year old female cat, named Pepper. Well, Pepper and Simba got along fine, but Pippa and Pepper hate each other.

Three months ago Simba died. He was 8 years old and we still don't know what was wrong with him.

Anyway, this left Pepper and Pippa. Simba was the "neutralizer" between the 2 girls, I guess, and now they are left to work their differences out amongst one another!

Pippa just got over a kind of depression about losing her buddy. She stopped eating, would pace and meow all night long. I did take her to the vet and they couldn't find anything medically wrong with her. Just the past months she's started to be her same old self again, and has regained her lost weight.

She and Pepper have started to agree to disagree, better than they have in the last 18 months.

Now the question. My daughter wants me to go look at this kitten that the local vet has up for adoption. Someone had left a litter of kittens at the vets, so they had no choice but to take them in. My daughter was there with a friend of mine and this little kitty reminds her so much of Simba. I finally agreed that I would go look at the kitten with her today.

So what would this do to Pippa and Pepper? Would it re-establish a "neutralizer" or make things worse? Pippa is 9 and Pepper is about 11, the kitten is 5 weeks old, a male I'm told.

Sorry it's so long, but I had to give all of you the history to understand my dilemma!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 01:35 PM

What I would recommend is to get the kitten because what it may do is bring out the maternal instinct that either one of them may still have. I know this from personal experience. They may co-mother it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 01:45 PM

I am with PnJ on this one......and by getting the new kitten it may inturn distract their attention elsewhere and hopefully help them forget about their differences with eachother, of course the kitten only being 5 weeks I don't think he would become the neutralizer right off the bat, but ya never know, cats have a way of simply amazing us by the things they do.
Wish you luck, hope it all works out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Lee0923

I was thinking the same thing too. I just don't know.

I went to the vets today as they were closing. Of course, the kittens are adorable!

The manager told me to think about it over the weekend. She said that they could make some arrangement to try it out for a week and see how my other two deal with it. If it doesn't work, they would take him back. (But first she would have to OK it with the doctor!)

Well see...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 07:04 PM

I agree with everyone, it may bring out the maternal instinct in one of them.

We had somewhat of a similar situation. We had 2 male cats (Spanky & Svensson) and I brought in a stray (Galoshes). Galoshes is very alpha and would terrorize Spanky (even though he was way bigger & was the first in the household!) She had a love-hate relationship with Svensson, but got along most of the time. When we lost Spanky to cancer last year and I wanted a kitten, I was worried that she would be mean to the new kitten. But wonders never cease. It must have brought out her maternal instinct because she took to Wellington like a mom. She would groom him and play fight, but never rough.

Good luck & post some pics, ok?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 01:30 AM
cheetahcapri

You should get it, it could be like my cats, the two older ones hated each other, but as soon as I got a baby, they teamed up to hate the baby, now the baby torments them both and they have to band together to keep the laws going, it's funny they both agree to disagree about the baby, but at least they are working together, LOL! Good luck!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 10:38 PM
Lee0923

Well, I did it...I got one of the kittens. He's 6 weeks old and asleep on my lap right now.

His tail is bent at the end, so my daughter and I named him Bentley...yup, just like the car! lol!

Pepper is ticked, but she still hisses at Pippa and its been 18 months. Pippa isn't happy either and bops Bentley on the head, but she isn't as bad as when we first got him (Monday) and she could definitely be much worse. Poor Bentley wants to play and he gets slapped.

I just hope somebody gets along!

I'll post pics as soon as I can. I do things the old fashioned way and have to get them developed first!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 11:06 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Looks like Pippa is going to be his buddy first. That slapping (touching) is something they have to get through to determine who is the dominate cat among the two of them.

Poor Pepper - she just can't seem to find her place can she? I hope she takes up with the kitty soon. Does she do any better when she gets extra attention from you or anyone else in the family? Does she have a favorite person? (I think that's kinda what I meant in the first place.)

I've brought many cats into my house over the years and it seems that it always takes about two weeks for them to adjust. Since Pippa has gotten her grief out of the way she's ready for a new friend. I just feel sorry for Pepper!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Lee0923

Crittercall,

Thanks for your reply. Don't worry too much about Pepper-she came from a home where she was the only cat for her whole life, which was for about 10 years. I don't know if she ever laid her eyes on another cat until she came here, lol! So, she went from being the only cat to suddenly having 3 others in her life! Since my last post, she actually has been found playing with Bentley, but quickly stops when she's noticed!! The other day when Bentley was having a wrestling match with my hand, Pepper was poking at his tail. It just seems that she never wants to admit that she likes him.

Pippa licks Bentley's face one minute, then swats at him and walks away the next. Poor little guy gets such mixed signals!

Things aren't too bad, but I wish they could be better. Just takes forever, I guess. What's most important to me is that neither Pippa nor Pepper has become withdrawn, or shown signs of a 'personality change', due to jealousy. I was afraid that would happen. Both get separate attention from us, and I think that's helped a lot!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

It's a good sign when they play with each other then pretend that they haven't done anything when you notice. You've come a long way baby!! Won't be long 'til she's grooming him and daring anyone else to come near.

Good for your guys!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
male cat