need advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

need advice

Ok Cat experts!! I need some help here...

Mr Kitty (born in april 1992) has been having some problems with weight loss. When he first got here a month ago he was relatively thin because he wasn't eating much. Mom took him to the vet just before coming to MN and he got a clean bill of health. She was told that she should put him on soft food to substitute what he was not eating.
After he was here a week he started putting on the weight again. NOW all of a sudden he has lost weight again and his coat is dull and his gums have a grey tint to them.

Could this all be a sign of dehydration? We are wondering if it's possible that Charlie is not letting him eat enough food? Or could these be signs of diabetes or anemia?

As I said he has already been to the vet for this situation BUT I am wondering if something is being overlooked?

Any suggestions from the pros out there are absolutely welcomed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

This may sound silly - but - when was the last time he was wormed? Worms can cause all those symptoms. Worms can cause anemia - an obvious sign being the pale gums...

A stool sample (follow vet instructions for collection of course) to the vet would rule out or confirm worms.... hrrm...

I have a cat the same age as Mr. Kitty. Abby is very thin to me. She has always been a tiny cat, but it worries me now. The vet chalks it up to old age. I feel stupid admitting this - but I am so attached to her that I am afraid to have her poked and prodded- and get any bad news.

Do you notice him drinking a lot? Is he urinating a lot? Does he seem to strain or just "sit there" when he's urinating? Diabetes could cause weight loss too.

Jackie? Where are you - you always have good cat advice!

Good Luck Kay - I hope it turns out to be minor - or nothing but old age

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 10:56 PM

Something definitely doesn't sound right. When it comes to your children always trust your gut instints. I would definitely go to see a differen't vet for a second opinion. I know when Jade gets on here she is sure to reply for she has more info on this, since she works at a vet. In the meantime I would suggest weighing him everyday and keep a tally of it. Also I would seperate the food dishes even if it meant putting him in a seperate area of the house in order for you to monitor the food intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Linda! He seems to be drinking as normal, and urination and bowels have not changed.
I don't know about his last worming (ok maybe a little naieve but I thought you only had to do this when they were babies?)

We are going to start feeding him away from Charlie to make sure he gets his share adequately...

Other suggestions or opinions are still wlecome
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Brenda... I replied befoe I had a chance to read yours... the food thing is deffinately a good idea ... if that doesn't seem to be the problem a second opinion is deffinately in order!

(mom said her vet was trying to chalk it up to old age btw... I have heard of cats living as long as 25 though so 11 isn't that old in that case? Call me stupid what is an "average" lidfe span of a cat?)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 11:25 PM

11 sure isn't that old. If kept indoors only I think the average lifespan nowadays is something like 15 yrs.

Like Brenda suggested, keep a watch to make sure he is eating. Not eating or sudden abrupt change in food intake could signal a prob. Are you still feeding him the wet food? I'll send some appetite vibes to Mr. Kitty from my herd here since they're a bunch of chow-hounds.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yanno Kay, that is a good question! I have heard of cats living to unbelievable old ages - cats that are outdoor/indoor cats have a shorter lifespan, for obvious and no so obvious reasons I suppose.

I forgot to ask, is Mr.Kitty an indoor/outdoor? I worm all my cats every 3 months even though Abby is the only one who was ever an outdoor. Since her injury she is strictly indoor (cough, cough) sneaky little thing- she still runs out on occasion! But the dogs are in and out - so I feel they all still need routine worming.

My Siamese, Kiss, was the oldest cat I ever had - she was 17 when I finally had to put her down. She had a very loved, very long life with an interesting history. She came to me when she was about 8. It took me 2 years to make the decision to have her put down too It turned into a quality of life issue .... I supposed had I pushed that issue she might still be here?? *might* being the keyword there - I had her put down almost 3 years ago this month.

Anyway - going way off topic here - if cats are exposed to any animal that goes outdoors they should be wormed on a routine basis. I found this out many years ago the hard way I try to be faithful with it - and I get the wormer from my vet because the ones from the petstores don't get rid of all the types of worms. The dogs get regular worming with their heartworm medicine every month.

I found with my old cats - when all else fails - they will always beef up and scarf down jars of babyfood meat! Veal is always a favorite, chicken, turkey - what a treat for them! And easy for those old kitty teefers too! adding some boiled rice mashed into it tends to quell the loose stool they might get from the baby meat. I find Abby tends to just lose her apetite - she's always been such a picky eater tho! Loving one thing for a while then one day - ICK! Turning her nose up at almost everything.
Babyfood meat is how I get her eating again

Oh what we do for our fur kids!

[center]

[
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 11:36 PM

Good idea Deja with the babyfood. At cat shows I've seen the show-ers (can't think of the right word!) give the babyfood as a treat to kitties after they get back from the ring & they love it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Before Mr Kitty came to my house he was an outdoor cat (which I personally don't agree in! JMO) BUT now that he is here he in ONLY indoors.

I am relly thinking he is not getting enough to eat. I am still feeding him soft food but yet leaving dry food down throughout the day. I noticed tonight when I went to feed him Charlie butted his big butt way in to the dish & Mr Kitty backed off & let him eat it. I would still rather be on the safe side though yanno.

Thankc Deja for the worming advice, I will have to get some for precautionary measures!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 12:22 AM
Miss New Booty

Well, you guys all gave great advice!! I would definatley check into the worm issue, to be on the safe side. Ok, a few other things. Did Mr Kitty have a CBC (Complete Blood Culture)at his last checkup? I have an issue right now with Snuggles. He is only 3, but was always around 12 pounds. I changed them over to natural food this year, and he and Ginger seemed to have lost some wieight, and Smokie seems a bit heavier. My vet said this could be like a food fighting issue. Make sure he is eating, etc. I always have to watch now when I can to make sure. But back to Snuggles. Ok so at his checkup back in Oct, he was down to 9 lbs, I was shocked! My vet at home where I have taken Ginger and Snuggles since I got them, wasn't overly concerned about this, they had fecals and he just wanted me to monitor his weight. He thought he looked just fine. I ran this by my vet here, where I take my dogs and had Snuggles first CBC done there, and she had a different opinion. She said even thou we did a CBC 8 months ago, he could've possibly developed a thyroid issue. Meaning that his metabolism was so fast, he was actually losing weight. There is either medication or you have surgery to remove the thyroid. She said its very uncommon for a cat of Snuggles age, but I am going to have a CBC done again. He has gained a little wieght back as well, since I monitor him and the others eating, lol. But this could be something to think about as well, having a CBC done. I would definalty get another opinion.
Feeding them seperatley, if you can, might be good too. But with cats, they tell US when they wanna eat so sometimes its hard to feed seperatley.

~* Jackie *~

Tags
dry food, food dishes, indoor cat, indoor cats, outdoor cat, wet food