Need advice on fighting brothers :/ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation Need advice on fighting brothers :/

Hi, So I have two brother cats that I've adopted and the agency says they must stick together ..but the problem is they are always fighting and i dont mean "play fighting" I mean really tough I hate you fighting and I have no clue what to do! The other night it got really bad- so bad that we actually had to separate them in different rooms because if we just separated them in the same room they would be back at it again. Its also caused one of them to start going to the bathroom outside of the litter box! They are both neutered so I know it can't be over dominance..or could it? What can I do? Should I give one of them back to the agency or put a ad on the paper? Or is there something I can do to end their hatred battling???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lola

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Males can get like that - chances are they probably are duking out territory. Who gets the sweet spots in your house; and chances are the subordinate is not dealing with it well and putting up a hissy fit. They may sort it out, eventually, or you may indeed have to find a home for the other one if they can't sort it out. Just because they're neutered, doesn't take away from dominance being an issue. It may lessen it, but each still still needs to stake out its territory.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

It makes sense, my mom has started to say we need to get rid of one by the end of the month if things don't get better. She says she doesn't want to take the chance of one of them hurting the other so bad that he would have to go to the vet(not that we mind going to the vet if they are sick, just in this situation it can be avoided) Thanks for the info

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Playful Pup

Before you separate them, I would talk to the agency where you got them. Many agencies have strict rules, and possibly something you signed, stating that if you aren't going to keep them, they need to be returned to the agency. If they wanted them to stay together, there must be a reason.

I would also ask if this is something that was happening while they were at the shelter. If they were getting along there, but they aren't getting along in your home, then it's a pretty good chance that something is going on in the home to upset them. You can talk to a communicator or a behaviorist to find out what that might possibly be. Or try to do it yourselves by being very aware of who is in the house and what is going on when the fights start. They may be picking up on someone's energy in the household and you may see a pattern develop.

I hope you can figure this out before giving up on them, but certainly I would not separate them without talking to the shelter where you got them first.

Good luck,
Caat

PawsTalk Animal Communication & Reiki

Animal Communication Practice Forum
.....(Free student animal communications for your pets)

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well Its a little too late for that advice yesterday we got rid of scratchy because the night before that it was a really horrible fight and we really didn't want to take the chance of the two hurting each other. I'll call the agency tomorrow and report on it. But when we did have the two together there was no pattern to it, any time we would have them together they would fight. Like hissing, biting each other..scrathy actually gave itchy a really good bite on his ear to the point it bled the other night. Thats why we had to get him out of the house, we just couldn't take it. So tomorrow I will report it to agency.

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger

Tags
brothers, cats, fighting