Need To Convince My Mom - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Red face Need To Convince My Mom

I want to get a cat but my mom needs to know the pros and cons of cat owning if anyone can help me i would love it thankes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

Owning a cat can be a really rewarding thing but at the same time can be really trying. You have to be sure you are ready for the responisiblity of owning a cat. You may have unexpected cost occurances due to an injury. I love my cats and they are very affectionate but it took time to get one of them to be that way due to being abused as a baby. It was very trying at times. You are also going to need heaps of patience when geting a new cat since your home will be new to it and the cat may not take to the new setting that easily. It is hard to really list the pros and cons of owning a cat becuase peoples' opinons are differernt as to what is a pro and a con. All i can suggest is to sit back and do your research as to the responisbillty of owning a cat and see if you and your family are really ready for it. Only you and yours can really know if it is the right time to get a cat as a pet no one else can tell you.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:12 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with "LoveMeTrue"....fully do your research.

I am not a cat person,I think they are cute...but do not want one again or want them in my house...MY OPNION.

Hmmm...pros of owning a cat,well they CAN be affectionate and loving and fun to watch when they play.Cons would be expensive vet bills if needed and hard to train some things.Thats all I can think of,but then again I am not the proper one to ask...

I did used to have 3 cats...a deaf girl and 2 others.The other 2 were technically my boyfriend's cats and the deaf girl was mine.They were all indoor cats.They had their good moments and their bad moments.We ended up giving them to friends,because it just wasn't working out.They constantly were up in things on the counter and scratched up my daughter (I don't agree with declawing) among other things and we realized they would be better off in another home.They were nice cats in general though.Very affectionate.One of them was badly abused as a kitten and was very nervous,it took her about 3-4 months to finally warm up to us and then took her another few months to warm up to my family.In the end,she became a really nice cat.

Anyway all in all...do your research and see if you and your mom are ready for a cat.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I have 2 cats (18-month old sisters), that I love soooo very much. A few pros are that they are extremely playful, affectionate, lovable, funny and smart. Cons: Little buggers can be expensive (like mine have had some medical problems), so you (your mom, actually) has to be prepared for unexpected and routine veterinary care. If you want a cat or 2 visit your local shelters, etc., and see what cats they have to offer and the personnel could help you pick a kitty with a good personality to fit best in your household. If you want to avoid shredded furniture and drapes, you may want to go with an older kitty. I trained mine to use the scratching posts pretty easily, but even just running around they did a fair number on our microfiber furniture. So, now their nails get trimmed every week and we bought some sturdier furniture, lol.

Kitties aren't too difficult to take care of, but you have to be ready to clean out the litterbox OFTEN to avoid inappropriate elimination.

If you have any more specific questions I might be able to answer, I've learned a lot about cats over the last couple of years since I've had such special needs cats!

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

make sure you research the place you are getting it from as well as making sure you know all the cats needs...

I have a cat that is considered special needs, it costs us alot to make sure she is ok and to get her special food...but I wouldn't change anything for the world (ok so maybe have her be healthy) she is so funny and loving and always wants to be with us...she attacks the dogs paws when he runs past and loves to sleep under the blankets with us, she plays so cute and talks to us when she needs water or a kitty treat lol (shes just now becoming verbal)...

the cons are the bills...shes almost 3 and we have paid well over 7 thousand on vet bills and special meds and foods (she is an extreme case) for me that is the only downside, but it was something we thought hard about when we found out she was sick and we made the decicion she was woth it to us...you do have to make sure its something you are willing to take care of for many many years...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Cats have their pros and cons and appeal to some people and not to others. It varies from cat to cat personalities... how playful they are with people or other cats... do they even like other cats or people? Cats are very diverse in their preferences of things, like people, you have to get to know them. Just as they will get to know you.

Cats can be affectionate and indepedent. They can also be antisocial and picky. A cat wants to be left alone they will do most anything to be left alone. A cat that wants affection, however, will not beg for long. If we are busy with something, our cat just goes to entertain herself or sleeps. If we go to bed she will come to us, we can not bring her. If we bring her she WILL leave... and maybe come back if she wants to but its only if she wants.

They can cuddly in your lap or just sit beside you. They will purr and sometimes 'talk' to you. They will try to see what they can get away with but they are trainable... my cat has not been on counters for more than 5 years of which I am certain. At our new place she tried to lay in the tub or on the table... we taught her not to. (at 11 mind you, we taught her. It was not hard.) however, she lays in our dirty clothes or ironing basket... this she doesn't seem to get we don't want her there.

Cons are pets cost money. There is always the chance of medical bills. They need vaccinations to prevent some (which believe me, you want to get them or it will be even moer expensive). But they may get hurt and you need to pay for xrays or surgery... mostly you are looking at buying food and litter regularly.

Litter boxes are good and bad... keeping it clean is kind of icky but most of the time you don't have to worry about 'accidents'. Even if you leave them home all day alone. Most do not go stir crazy in the house either... they don't need to go out. some do but most are fine.

Cats are very complex creations... like any animal. That's all I can think to offer you right now. Pets cost time and money. Cats are ones that don't always require a lot of time which is nice and if you shop right their litter and food doesn't cost too much. But there can always be hidden surprises in it that will cost you time and money... and most definately some emotions.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 06:08 PM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keritsubo
A cat that wants affection, however, will not beg for long.
I think this really depends on the cat. All of ours, if they want the attention enough, will beg for half an hour or more if we are really busy and can't pay attention to them at the moment.

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

that's true... It depends on the environment. I think if you have one cat that does it, someitmes the others will pick up on it over time. We never had cats that would nag you for more than 5 minutes (maybe ten if you were in the kitchen and had a can. ) But, of course we always had at least one cat who was already there before the others. so the new ones learned from the one or more that was already there... so we never had a problem with them bothering us much. They entertained themselves if we didn't have time...

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.

Last edited by Keritsubo; 09-08-2006 at 04:30 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

how old are you are you old enough that it would be your cat and you would be the one takeing care of him??? go to www.mycathatesyou.com it may be able to give you some info its a really fun website.

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Crazy Woman Driver

Has your Mum come to a descision yet? We lost my darling Cleo when I was 16 and naturally I was devasted. After a respectable time, I begged to have another cat but My Mum wouldn't. I had to wait til I moved out in the end but I now have 2 adorable puss cats of my own. So even if she doesn't agree, it doesn't mean forever.

Caroline
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Playful Pup

Tell me if you get a cat. It really depends on you!Persuade your mum, tell her that you are responsible (If you are)

Can you read my emotion?
Ever so happy!!!

Tags
indoor cat, indoor cats, litter box, litter boxes, local shelter, veterinary care