Need Help With Layla (2 Questions) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Arrow Need Help With Layla (2 Questions)

As most of you know, my cat Layla lives with my Godmother. Well, she has been having problems with her and I told her I'd ask everyone I could (she lives down in crap-ville and the vet is lacking mental skills ). So here's the problems:

1. This one is health related. Layla is an indoor cat. But when my Godmother was in an apt a few months back, she would let Layla lay on the concrete area and grass outside for a bit (she supervised her). Well, ever since then, Layla has been really itchy and is losing hair. She will start to grow it back and then it comes out again. The vet said it could be an allergy or something like that and gave her a steroid shot and dipped her. Well, it's still happening. My Godmother made an appointment with an animal dermatologist, but she won't be able to see him until May 31. Any ideas on what this could be?

2. This one is a mental problem. Layla has always been mean-spirited. But lately she has gotten worse. My Godmother moved out of the apartment a few months ago and into the hotel that she works at. Before all of this, she lived in a big house (with Layla). So we think it could be that Layla isn't stimulated, etc. But she is so mean that my Godmother has tons of scratches and bite marks on her arms and legs. She can't come in the door, walk around the room, or sleep without Layla full-on attacking her. She has to sleep with pillows surrounding her to protect her. So, is there a kitty-Prozac that Nan can get her on? Or do you guys suggest something else?

Btw, thinking it might be a food allergy, I had my Godmother switch Layla to Nutro a couple of weeks ago (we did it gradually).

Thanks in advance!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Formula86; 04-05-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

We're swamped so pardon my shortness, but here goes.

1 - Is she on flea control? Flea allergies can be very severe and the fact that she started it right after going outside makes me suspicious.

2 - There are behaviorists out there that can help, and medications are often prescribed. Unfortunately it's one to talk to the vet about. Do a search for veterinary behaviorists and see if you can find any FAQs, that'll probably help.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

No worries, Steph!!

1. Yes she is on flea drops and heartworm pills.

2. I will have her talk to the vet, then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Miss New Booty

Hmm after the steriod shot and skin treatment at the vet, did it get better at all and come back, or really didn't get better? Good idea changing the food, has there been any change since Nutro in the last few weeks?

Yup, I would definately tell your godmother to talk to the vet about her behavior. Has she gotten a blood test done on Layla lately? A behaviorist might be a good idea. Yup, they have medication, too, like Steph said, that might help. Remember how we were talking about Feliway with your Charlie when he was urinating in the house? This also might be something she could get, it helps with behavioral issues, too.
http://www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html
Or maybe she was upset from the move?

I hope she can get everything figured out with Layla, Jane!! Keep us posted! I hope everything's ok!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

She got better. Her hair started growing back, etc. But she just goes back to losing her hair and itching.

I will tell her to get a blood test done! She is coming up for my bday next week and I'm going to print this (and other) threads out for her.

Thank you!

Btw - I'm trying to forget when Charlie was peeing in the house, ok?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Miss New Booty

Sounds good Jane! I hope the vet has some answers!

Quote:
Btw - I'm trying to forget when Charlie was peeing in the house, ok?
Hey, I hear ya!!!! LOL!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Tags
indoor cat