Need a new litter. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Need a new litter.

I am in the market for a new cat litter.

Currently we are using Swheat, which is a wheat based (hence the name) clumping litter. This is the only litter Amadeus has even been exposed to and I find that it is starting to not work as well as it has in the past and the bigger problem is the dogs are eating it. Dogs and wheat obviously aren't the best together and I am tired of picking up poop that is all weird because of cat litter. I am going to try and find the gate and try to block them, but the dogs still must be taken into consideration, because they are sneaky (they only started doing this when we cut back on the amount of food we were giving them... they are chubbies).

I down right refuse to use any clay litters as Amadeus is already prone to respiratory problems, clay litter contains carcinogens, isn't environmentally friendly etc... Plus dogs eating from the litter box...

What I am looking for is a litter that is...
  • minimal dust
  • preferably clumping
  • cheap (right now I get 40 lbs for under $50-)
  • environmentally friendly
  • easy to get
All suggestions are welcome

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

The paper pellets are pretty awesome. I use a knock off Yesterday's News (YN is expensive!) for the rabbit. It doesn't clump, however, so you have to scoop out the pee crumblies with a solid scoop and the poo with a slotted scoop. There's also pine pellets which I don't buy because I'm allergic to pine. Don't know if they're cheaper.

You could also try looking up the silica litter. It's kinda controversial right now so I'd research A LOT before buying it in particular.

Other than that I have no idea. I'm going to be trying Swheat scoop next time I buy litter since I no longer shop at that particular store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm not sure about the litter, because we just use Tidy Cats, but this is the cat we have to let the cats in and keep our dog out. Because we keep the litter boxes and food in the same place and it prevents Kusa from eating either.

Good Luck!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlson-Ex...i_sku=10741056
It has a little door for the cats, although sometimes they just walk through the bars anyway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingPup View Post
The paper pellets are pretty awesome. I use a knock off Yesterday's News (YN is expensive!) for the rabbit. It doesn't clump, however, so you have to scoop out the pee crumblies with a solid scoop and the poo with a slotted scoop. There's also pine pellets which I don't buy because I'm allergic to pine. Don't know if they're cheaper.

You could also try looking up the silica litter. It's kinda controversial right now so I'd research A LOT before buying it in particular.

Other than that I have no idea. I'm going to be trying Swheat scoop next time I buy litter since I no longer shop at that particular store.

I use to use Yesterdays News with kittens back when I was fostering, when through it like crazy and I wasn't really impressed with it.

I have also used pine which again I wasn't too impressed with.

The silica (which is the little balls I believe) wouldn't work since of the dogs.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

http://www.catsagainstclay.org/
Here is a whole site dedicated to alternative cat litters.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Part of the Pack

Is Feline Pine expensive? Is it clumping? Lucy seems pretty finicky about her litter. Just bought a box of Swheat Scoop but haven't tried it yet.

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycat View Post
Is Feline Pine expensive? Is it clumping? Lucy seems pretty finicky about her litter. Just bought a box of Swheat Scoop but haven't tried it yet.

I don't think its too overly pricey, at least here. I tried it and found that the clumping version got everywhere because its so light.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

have you seen the ads for the worlds best cat litter or something, its corn.

best bet is to stop the dogs from getting to it.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
have you seen the ads for the worlds best cat litter or something, its corn.

best bet is to stop the dogs from getting to it.

Yeah I have seen it but its expensive.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I can't really help you as far as the litter goes; but as far as preventing the dogs from getting it, you could get litter boxes that have a hole cut in the top that the cat goes down into. It would be hard for a dog to stick its head in there and gain anything out of it. Oh...that's what they're called, Top Entry. This is what I mean: http://www.amazon.com/Clevercat-Top-.../dp/B0002ZS20I

It's a deep basin, so it would be hard for a dog to stick its head in there and eat at its will.

In the last picture in the row of pictures, there's another type of litter box to consider... the dome, where the only entrance is the stairs up and around into the litter pan area.

http://www.amazon.com/Booda-Dome-Cle...ref=pd_sim_k_6

But the first option might be better...since I don't know how big or small your dogs are. Plus, that second one is round, so it's easier for a dog to tip it over to spill the contents..... yeah, probably purchasing, or creating your own Top Entry would be the better idea.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know if you're really going to find any litter that works well for your cats, and is also okay for the dogs to eat. Granted I don't have a cat, but I've never heard of a brand that makes cat litter with dogs eating the litter in mind.

I think really your best bet would be to think of ways to prevent the dogs from getting into the cat boxes. Maybe changing the location of the boxes, or trying out different styles of boxes. Do you have a table or a high up location your dogs can't reach where you could move the boxes to?

I know someone who used regular dirt in their cat litter box. That's cheap (free!), easy to get, and environmentally friendly. It's probably okay for the dogs to eat dirt occasionally, but I'd imagine it'd be messy.

If you can take the dogs out of the equation, by finding a way of preventing them from eating the litter, then you can just concentrate on getting whatever litter works best for your cat.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
I can't really help you as far as the litter goes; but as far as preventing the dogs from getting it, you could get litter boxes that have a hole cut in the top that the cat goes down into. It would be hard for a dog to stick its head in there and gain anything out of it. Oh...that's what they're called, Top Entry. This is what I mean: http://www.amazon.com/Clevercat-Top-.../dp/B0002ZS20I

It's a deep basin, so it would be hard for a dog to stick its head in there and eat at its will.

In the last picture in the row of pictures, there's another type of litter box to consider... the dome, where the only entrance is the stairs up and around into the litter pan area.

http://www.amazon.com/Booda-Dome-Cle...ref=pd_sim_k_6

But the first option might be better...since I don't know how big or small your dogs are. Plus, that second one is round, so it's easier for a dog to tip it over to spill the contents..... yeah, probably purchasing, or creating your own Top Entry would be the better idea.
We actually have the Booda Dome, which you think would at least stop my bigger dog, but it doesn't.

I will tell my mother about the top entry boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
I don't know if you're really going to find any litter that works well for your cats, and is also okay for the dogs to eat. Granted I don't have a cat, but I've never heard of a brand that makes cat litter with dogs eating the litter in mind.

I think really your best bet would be to think of ways to prevent the dogs from getting into the cat boxes. Maybe changing the location of the boxes, or trying out different styles of boxes. Do you have a table or a high up location your dogs can't reach where you could move the boxes to?

I know someone who used regular dirt in their cat litter box. That's cheap (free!), easy to get, and environmentally friendly. It's probably okay for the dogs to eat dirt occasionally, but I'd imagine it'd be messy.

If you can take the dogs out of the equation, by finding a way of preventing them from eating the litter, then you can just concentrate on getting whatever litter works best for your cat.
Any litter really isn't the best to be eaten but the clay litters are designed to form a rock hard mass when the litter gets wet which is obviously not a good thing.

The litter box is in the closet of our laundry room so it really isn't easy to block off since we can't close the door or really put anything in front of the the box since the room is long rather then wide.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my sister put a kitty door in their laundry door to keep their dog out.

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
my sister put a kitty door in their laundry door to keep their dog out.

Its a good idea but I don't think my mother will go for cutting a hole in the door.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

then you are going to have to think of a way to keep the dogs away from it, they shouldn't be eating cat poo anyway. Think about a baby gate, or something that keeps them out of that room.

[/CENTER]