Need some Advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Buffalokisser

Exclamation Need some Advice

So I have had Kramer as you all know for many years now, I love the little brat but not some of his behavior and its getting to the point that I don't know what to do. Here's the thing, ever since we got him he has been sweet and loving but in the twitch of an ear can be the meanest thing on the earth. When I lived at my moms he wouldn't allow me upstairs if he wanted wet food. He would stop me by getting on the stairs then doing the mean meow, hiss and batt at me if I tried, its gottenn worse.

Kramer for no reason now will go off and attack me, I mean just latch on to my left foot, leg, arm and on a few rare occastions my head. WHen he does this he is out for blood almost every time at least one scratch if not all of them are bleeding. He also bites when he does this, only two of his bites that he has given me have ever got infected thank god.

there is no warning about when he will do this, sometimes he will get the mad meow going and I know to grab something and scare him away with it but, he will attack me when I am asleep in bed or like last night going to the bathoom. He was rubbing on me and loving on me then bam he attacked my left leg. I spanked him with a book I had in my hand and he ran off.

I have tried everythiing from not giving him his wet food for a day, to spanking him, to squirting him with water, to even locking him in his carrier, nothing seems to work. He is a great cat 95% of the time and he doesn't attack me all the time I can go months with out him attacking me then he will start it up for like a month or two then it goes away again. Do you guys have any idea of why he does this? I have taken away catnip, cause he gets mean with it, I haven't changed his food, or brand of litter on him, nor has the appartment changed at all. He is a rescue and I have a feeling he was abused at his first home and yes he is fixed. But any ideas would help me out allot.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Thats really weird, we used to have a cat that would be sweet and let you pet it then go all crazy on you, but she did it EVERYtime you pet her. it was just how she was, she was a beautiful cat, but the most evil little thing.. anyway..
I'm not sure what would cause him to do it sometimes.. Do you know how old he is? Maybe he smells something on you? like another cat, or maybe theres another cat outside or something. Or could there still be some catnip around the house that he finds every once in awhile? Have you asked ur vet about this? Maybe you might want to look into getting some of those soft paw things for him? at least his claws wouldn't hurt so much when hes moody. I dunno, just some random ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Buffalokisser

he is about 6 years old. there isn't any catnip left, I know what all his catnip toys look like and have found them all. As for the other cat thing, my mom has two cats that I go around but he doesn't mind their smell if he did then he would do this all the time. there hasn't been any cats around the outside of the apartment since this summer, even then he just complains about them and protects his space, leaving me alone. As for the vet, when I take him in on his next check up I will ask about it. As for the claws of doom as I like to call them he doesn't like you messing with his feet, he gets down right nasty if you try to do anything to his nails. so the soft paw thing would work but someone would come back missing a hand.

Stephanie

check out my blog:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Betta Bomb

maybe get the vet to put him to sleep long enough to give his nails a good trimming?? after trying to unsuccessfully bleed you he'll get bored with the lack of skin penetration?? i hope things get better between the two of you, maybe you should see other cats/humans??
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think its a boy cat thing. Our cat would do that but he doesn't have claws he would bite until we bleed though, he would do it when we are sleeping and has come after my face before as well. normally it was a day that we picked on him when i was a kid and i think i grew thick skin for it so he never makes me bleed anymore no matter how hard he tries....

He has changed a lot for the better after getting another cat that is feistier than him! now he is lovey all the time

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 01:23 AM

Oh, no! Not Kramer! He's one of my favorite kitties here on PT. I would definitely talk with the vet and see what's bothering him. That's just not normal. And, really not safe for you, hun. I'd hate to see Kramer have to go, but your safety needs to come first. And, if he is attacking you in your sleep, you need to do something. I would have him checked out by the vet first. Maybe he could give him a sedative and get some of those paw covers on him while he is resting, so you can keep him and you can rest at ease!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Buffalokisser

Mzkitty, don't worry Kramer isn't going anywhere, even if it means I have to sleep fully clothed, I was taught that once you have a pet they are yours till they or you die.

As for the settative heh Tried that once will never ever do that again, it took my sweet loving kitty into an evil evil evil cat, we had to wear cooking mits to pick him up so he wouldn't get us. Plus he was drunk for the rest of the day so we had to keep the gloves around to save him when he got stuck somewhere and that was for us to clipp his naills. I guess we will just have to have the vet do it. THey know how to handle him and ignore his screaming portest meows which can be heard at the front of the office.

Stephanie

check out my blog:

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh I feel bad because I giggled a couple of times reading this.
My mom currently has a cat like this. My mom cannot take her eyes off of her when she is petting Sweetheart. Sweetheart will insist on being petted and then suddenly attack. She too goes long periods with no problems and then is really bad a couple of weeks. Her mom was practically a feral cat. That is what we think is her issue.

My cousin had a crazy boy cat. He would latch on and not let go. He was declawed so he bit even harder. She moved to Colorado and was moving back so she flew her kitties and daughter back. The boy kitty was going to stay at our house -something I told her no to. Well because he was sedated he peed in the carrier and smelled awful. He had to be locked in my grandmothers room so I had to bathe him. The bath went well. The drying afterwards not so much. I wound up with blood poisoning and was hospitalized over night.
NOTE - if you get bit and it doesn't bleed watch it carefully!
And my only concern was that that we could not reach my cousin to verify the cat was up to date on his shots. I was worried the doctor would want to test him for rabies - which is NOT good. When I said to the doctor that I would take the shots if we could not reach my cousin - he laughed and told me that I had deserved to get bit and that he would not ask for the cat to be put to sleep!
I was so relieved.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Rodentologist

Is Kramer fixed?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Buffalokisser

Yes he is fixed, the shelter we got him from fixes the cats before they adopt them out, I don't know if they did it or if his owners before me did it but he is fixed.

Kathydip don't feel bad for laughing, it is sort of funny in a way, cause he only attacks my left side, never my right.

Stephanie

check out my blog:

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 AM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...Kramer is moody,eh?
I hope you can figure something out...maybe sleep with your bedroom door closed? I keep my room door closed at night,otherwise I am sure Bam would be keeping me up.

Bam is just getting used to me and the other night he was getting his cuddles and attention and then just like that,he turned and bit my arm! That was the second time he bit me since I got him.I hope it is only cause he is still new.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Playful Pup

I actually had a cat like this growing up and he was abused as a kitten. He is so sweet and then randomly attacks, viciously. He was an outdoor cat too as a kitten. My mom still has this cat and he's mellowed out some in his older age, but he still has outbursts. My husband is so scared of this cat but he's a baby most of the time. My dad had also played with him with his hands too which seems to have taught him that hands are toys but doesn't have a balance between play and non-play (our other cat didn't have a problem with this and wouldn't use her nails or break skin)
I would keep him out of your bedroom though if he's attacking you in your sleep. Is there anything that you can see that may have him frustrated? How is he with you cutting his nails? Have you ever tried? (if you try...it's important to know how but it's not hard) You could try the soft paws things that someone else mentioned.
Has he ever been an outdoor cat? I've seen this mostly in cats that have been outdoor cats or that have been abused, or both. My grandmother had a cat like that too that was an outdoor cat as a kitten and brought in. With Moo, we basically learned to look for signs of him being agitated and give him space.

~ Nipper
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Buffalokisser

I can't close the door to the bedroom for two reasons one his litter box is in our closet and two if I am behind closed doors Kramer gets upset because he is not with me and meows and meows basically not shutting up. He will also scratch at the door, we can't have him doing this since we rent an apartment so if I am in the apartment he has to be able to get to me.

Yes we have clipped his nails twice both times coming out of it worse then going into it. Us humans that is. He doesn't like his feet beeing messed with, plus he squirms every which way and bites, so the vet clipps his nails for us. We also have given him meds to calm him down and it made him worse see above posts for that story.

I do honestly believe that he was abused as a kitten, he is so sweet most of the time then just flipps out then is fine again. He won't bite me again till maybe March or aprill if that, we go big long periods of him not attacking. I don't know if he was an out door cat or not before I got him, he is an indoor cat and has been since we got him, he does like to try to excape outside every once in a while but I think thats because its the only door that I go through that hes not allowed to follow me.

Stephanie

check out my blog:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Playful Pup

I had a cat once whose mother was basically feral. Momma had a litter, 2 survived and we took she and her brother in and named the girl Ally. Ally was a terror. Same M.O. as yours except I can't get over the fixation w/ the left side of your body! That is just crazy! The boy "Bocelli", was a doll. No problems at all.

It was very hard to deal with and though we loved her very, very much, I can honestly say we were afraid of when the next attack would be. SHe attacked at night as well and we couldn't keep the door shut b/c she would scratch at it and meow all night.

I'm sure they sense the fear we have? Regarding the attacks that is. Perhaps that has something to do with it as well? But how can you not be on guard? It's hard to trust her when she exhibits this type of behavior, though we desperately would like to. But you can't fool an animal...deep inside we are feeling apprehension and they know it!

So what is it about the left side of your body? Is there a cat whisperer out there?

Good Luck and enjoy the good times! I'm taking stock out on Band-Aids...LOL!

Visit my Website:

Read my articles on Pet Rabbits at:

AND

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Katie '07
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Buffalokisser

I have no idea what it is about my left side, I guess it tastes better than my right I really don't live in fear of the next attack because well I never know when its going to be, cause like I said we go months with out him attacking. If I am lucky enought to be awake before he attacks me ad actually paying attention to him, some times he gives himself away by his eyes, there is just this look he gets in them before he attacks and if I see it I can prevent the attack from happening.

Right now he is being a typical cat crawling in and out of our christmas decoration boxes so all is good!

Stephanie

check out my blog:

Tags
bite, cat, scratching