Need some suggestions/help please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Need some suggestions/help please

About a month ago I took Hyrum to the vet because I suspected he had a UTI. Well, I was right and he was given meds and was put on a special diet. Well the food made China throw up all the time so I stopped feeding them it and gave them their regular food again. When I took Hyrum back to the vet for his follow-up, he still had crystals in his urine and the vet suggested another special diet food. Well this makes China throw up too. The stupid thing is that China keeps on eating it even though it makes him sick.

I've tried to separate the cats with their own food, but when I do this then what ever cat is locked up in a room, won't eat thier food and just paws at the door to get out while the other one eats for a bit and then sits at the door that the other cat is locked in.

I'm so lost on what I should do. The vet said that Hyrum really needs to be eating this food or else he's just going to get a UTI again. Any suggestions?? Do you know of some other Urinary Tract food that I could give to Hyrum? Price doesn't matter to me as long as it keeps Hyrum healthy and won't make China sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Hello Earthling

Have you tried feeding them at the same time together but different bowls and you watch them?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Try feeding them at the same time in separate bowls and watch as indicated above. If you are concerned about them not eating it all at once, try putting them on a strict feeding schedule. If they don't eat within a certain amount of time, take it away and don't give it back till the next feeding time. They will learn to eat what they are given, when it's given, but you have to be persistant and stubborn. Don't give in!!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Right now that is what I'm doing and it really sux. They both want eachothers food.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Will It Ever Change?

here's what i suggest, it worked when we had two dogs and two cats, and they all ate, at the same time, in their own corner of the kitchen, fed at strict times each day. make sure you keep up with your strict feed times. they get their own bowls. they eat at the same time, but put them on opposite sides of the room...while still being in the same room they always eat in. sometimes if they can't focus, turn them so their backs are to each other. if they go to walk away/to the others' bowl, put them back at their bowl. over and over and over and over and over....you get the idea. with this they quickly learn that the only food they're allowed to have, is what you give them, not what they want to take. then, if they don't finish (because you should only give them enough to fill them anyways, but you know that ) you take the bowls away. period. then they quickly learn to eat what you give them, when you give it to them. but the key is not putting them beside/near each other. put them in their own corners of the room, at least 6 feet apart. if it helps, make them have their backs to each other (as i mentioned, but it's key). make it as easy as possible for them to focus on just eating THEIR food. it'll work, just be super duper diligent and consistent

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Last edited by mulder; 09-18-2008 at 03:50 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

For the past three days I have just been watching them as they eat to make sure they're not eating eachothers food. It's so frustrating!

Thanx for the suggestion, I will definitely give that a try as I am out of other options right now.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Guarded by Waffles

My dad has to sit there and watch Suess and Jester when they eat because of that same thing. When I was pet sitting I went out of the room for a second and they had switched bowls, that's my only suggestion is watch them

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Is he still throwing up? Did you switch from dry to the wet food for crystal control? How did you transition? The vomiting might be controllable if it's a matter of transitioning or going from dry to wet (sometimes kitties get sensitive stomachs when that happens).

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Sorry, I must have confused you.

Hyrum is the one needing the special diet, China is fine he can eat his regular food. China is the one that throws up from the special diet food. They can both eat the wet food. Everyday I just slowly added less and less of their regular food mixed with the new food, but he still threw up from it so the vet told me to keep China on his regular food since he didn't need to be on the special diet food anyway.

Hope that made more sense??

Well, so far Mulder's idea is working pretty good. I have to watch them to make sure they don't wander to the other cats dish, but I can go on the computer and watch them at them same time, so it's not too bad. They're getting used to the feeding times and they're slowly learning that they're not allowed to eat eachother's food.

Thanx for the great idea Mulder!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

LOL, sorry! I just need to read more carefully! I hope everything continues to improve.

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Will It Ever Change?

your welcome i just spoke from my experiences. i'm glad things are looking up for you!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Well, I am happy to say that seperating them in the same room is working. They still try to get eachothers food here and there, but not too often and all I have to do is tell them no and they run away from the dish, lol. So they deffinitely know which food is theirs. Took awhile for them to get used to it and to get used to the schedualed feeding times.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am glad all is going well...its always so hard when each of your pets requires a different diet due to health issues...sounds like it is a good solution

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
urinary tract infection, uti