Need Your Cat Advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Lovin My Furry Family <3

Need Your Cat Advice

Hi Everyone,

I really need your help. My current boyfriend has been renting the same house for four years. I just moved in with him a year ago. Our Landlord is one of his friend's mom.

The lease says that pets are not permitted without written permission from the Landlord. I need your help on getting my thoughts together and how I should approach her on this matter as I really want to adopt a cat.

The cat is potty trained, and up to date on her shots. She's actually my profile picture -- adorable, right?

The story that my boyfriend tells me is that the tenants that were here before him -- had one too many cats that they kept in the basement. Needless to say, they supposedly destroyed the basement and the Landlord said "From now on, no more pets."

But I have always been one to have a pet growing up and being an only child, I really do get lonely when I'm the only one home.

So please respond to this thread and tell me what I should do. Should I offer to pay extra a month or put down a pet deposit? Should I offer to pay for any damages done by the cat?

Please help me! I'm so nervous to approach her because I don't want to make her mad, but at the same time I feel like something is missing from my life!

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yes offer to pay a pet deposit and if it does any damage. if she says no then thats pretty much that for another year until you could find another place
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Is the cat your wanting spayed? Maybe if the problem with the last tenants was too many cats. Maybe one cat that is spayed wouldn't be such a huge deal.
Yes, offer to pay a pet deposit, which sometimes is an extra months rent. Keep in mind sometimes pet deposits are non-refundable. sometimes its necessary to replace the carpet after a cat moves out, even if the cat doesn't have accidents. Ive also heard of people paying "Pet Rent" which is an extra $5-$25per pet added on to the rent each month.

Since your boyfriend has been living there for 4 years, i would assume hes taken good care of the place? I mean its kept reasonably clean and theres not huge holes in the wall, stains on the carpet, etc? That would work in your favor, her knowing that hes been a responsible tenant.. and if shes a friend of his family, also a plus. You asking for a pet might not be such a big deal. But Does your boyfriend also want this cat as much as you do? It should be the both of you asking for a pet, and not just you. since she knows him a lot better than she knows you.

If she does say yes. make sure you do actually get it in writing as the lease says.. Ive heard stories where the landlord says yeah OK to a pet, but when it does damage, or theres some other random problem, they somehow magically forget that they did OK the pet. (OK so maybe i watch too much court TV ) But do make sure its in writing so no one can say your violating your lease.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Lovin My Furry Family <3

Thank you all so much! I even had a dream last night that I was writing her a letter... I guess I do have a lot of my mind, huh?

I will offer the "pet rent" and yes, the cat that I want is spayed and I only desire one cat.

I really appreciate both of your thoughts and ideas! Thank you so much!

Jaclyn
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Will It Ever Change?

best wishes!!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Lovin My Furry Family <3

Hello!

I just wanted to keep you posted on the situation. I finally gained enough courage to call the landlord today. I told her that I had a question about the lease that she dropped off a couple months ago. Could she please explain "No pets allowed in or around the premisis without written permission from the landlord." She said that she was currently on grandmother duty and didn't have a copy of the lease right there; she'd have to find it in her files. So she took down my cell number and said that she would have to find the lease and give me a call back.

So now I sit and wait! But here's the thing... *see story above* If she had such bad luck with the cats messing up the house in the past, why wouldn't she just have said NO WAY from the very beginning? Ya know what I mean?

Please cross your fingers and say a kitty prayer. I really want to be a mommy to something furry!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jaclyn

I'm a mommy to:

Piper

Max
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM

I hope that you are able to have you kitty! Maybe that means you will be able to keep the cat! I am thinking positive thoughts for you!!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Lovin My Furry Family <3

Thank you so much! I'll keep this thread updated. I really really really want London! All positive energy here! No negative thoughts!

Jaclyn

I'm a mommy to:

Piper

Max
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Lovin My Furry Family <3

Still no word from the landlord.

If I don't hear from her, how long should I wait before I call her again? A week?

Jaclyn

I'm a mommy to:

Piper

Max
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Will It Ever Change?

bah wait a day or two, it can't take her that long to find the lease

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Lovin My Furry Family <3

Yeah, that's what my other friend say as well. I think I'm actually going to call tomorrow... that would have been day three.

Here come the nerves and excitement all over again!

Jaclyn

I'm a mommy to:

Piper

Max
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Let us know what happens!!
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Lovin My Furry Family <3

Okay... well, I called the landlord today. She told me that she didn't have time to locate the lease, but asked me if I was interested in a cat or a dog. I told her a cat and told her my whole story. She told me that she'd be more lenient for a dog... go figure! But anyways, she did inform me of her bad past with previous tenants and cats and how she had to pay $5,000 to clean up after them. I told her that I'd be willing to sign a document (that I'd even write!) stating that I'd pay for any damages incurred by the kittie -- even though I KNOW there won't be a problem. : )

So, we left it as she would think about it and would call me with her decision. Although, she never called me back since she didn't review the lease, so I think I'm just going to call her Thursday of next week. What do you guys think?

You guys, I have a really good feeling about this. Please keep up the positive thoughts and energy! And leave me lots of love! I can almost see London running across my living room floor already! : )

I did have a question though... So, the posting says that my adoption fee is $75.00. This includes spaying, micro-chipping, vaccines, the works! I guess my next question is, after I get everything settled for her here at home, what's my next step? Do I need to take her to a vet and just get her registered and checked out so we can start a file for her? Or how long do I need to wait until I schedule her next appointment for vaccines? Any what about fleas? She won't need any flea medication if she's just an inside cat, right? (I feel like that might be a blond moment!)

Thanks yall! It's great to see that I have such support here! xoxo

Jaclyn

I'm a mommy to:

Piper

Max
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

most shelters suggest that you should take your adopted pet to the vet with in the first few days, they will give it a vet check and if anything is wrong with it you can still think about if you really want to take it from the shelter. The vet will then tell you when you need to come back for shots and things and it kind of depends on the owners for flea meds, if your pet is around other pets that go in and out they should also be on flea meds.

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:45 PM

I really hope that you get to have you kitty!

I would take your new baby to the vet when you get a chance after you get him! Also my cats are inside but I still just the advantage on them every so many months! You can actually bring fleas in to your house on your clothes and/or other people can as well. I don't use the flea meds every month like they say but I do it about 3 months or so. Just to make sure they don't get them! Its really hard to get the fleas out of your house sometimes!

Tags
adoption fee, cat food, kitty litter, litter box, potty train, potty trained