Neighbouring cats - is my cat okay with them? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Neighbouring cats - is my cat okay with them?

Recently, whenever I open my back door, two of the neighbour's cats come in the house. We never let them any further into the house than the front room, and usually my cat's in the front room with us. My cat is 13 this year, and she's always been the only cat in the house. She used to be really anti social with the other cats in the area, but she doesn't seem all that bothered with these two cats coming in.

In fact, right now Dinah [my cat] is sitting on top of the bookcase next to the back door, and Dora [one of the neighbour's cats] is lying in the doorway. I'm not sure whether Dinah really is okay with these cats wandering in, or if she's maybe too scared of them to chase them out. She's quite a bit older than them, so maybe she just isn't up to the running.

She seems quite relaxed, just lying down with her eyes half closed. She's fully aware the other cat is in here, and she watches her when she wanders about, but she doesn't seem angry with her.

I know Dinah likes to protect me, so she usually sits up a bit when the other cats come close to me.

Also, we have two gerbils in the front room, so we don't want the other cats getting near them.

I want to be able to leave my door open, especially on hot days, but I don't want to do it if it's making my cat uneasy; it is afterall her house.

If it mean anything, my cat and both the neighbour's cats are female. Dinah's been spayed, but I'm not sure about the neighbours, because one of her cats had kittens not too long ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Spayed females rank very low on the cat hierarchy. If any of the neighboring cats aren't spayed, they will bully her to assert their dominance.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Adolescent Pup

Thats very true what flickeringhope said. Also if they have anything they can give it to your cat if shes not vaccinated. Its hard to break up cat fights if one were to happen. Do you have a screen door? You could open your door but leave the screen door closed.

20 Rats
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 Gerbils
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 AM
It's all for them

I recommend you install a screen door to keep them out.

And I hope your neighbor has spayed both cats by now. How irresponsible to let an intact female roam. If they don't spay, it's very likely they don't vaccinate either, I would not risk letting them in your house.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Rodentologist

Even if your cat is vaccinated, there are diseases which you can't vaccinate against. Feline leukemia is a real concern since the vaccination is not 100% effective, the disease itself itself is easy to spread, and it's health effects are significant.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Adolescent Pup

yeah I heard that too Jennicat. My mother inlaw had a cat with feline luekemia. He lives 18 years, we were all surprised. The vet gave him something he had to get every year though. But yeah its not worth the risk. Those cats shouldnt come in your house.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Okay, we can't install anything into the house, like an extra door, because we don't own this house, we rent.

If there seems to be anything going on, we stand up and the cats run outside. I'll take in everything that you said, and I won't keep the backdoor open anymore, and if I do I'll make sure they don't keep coming in. We've been quite lucky because we've never had any serious health problems with Dinah, and like I said before she's 13 this year.

The only thing was that we noticed a few years ago her collar was wearing away the fur on her neck. We immediately took it off her, as it hadn't broken the skin and we didn't want to risk it doing that. It wasn't tight on her, I think it was because she had a tag on her collar, and when she walked/ran it kind of swung, and wore it away. The fur still hasn't grown back, but it doesn't seem to bother her.

Tags
cat, invading, neighbours