Nepeta x faassenii - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Thumbs down Nepeta x faassenii

In Finland there are two different catnips you can buy:

One is the VERY difficult to find "kissanminttu," which is Nepeta nepeta--the ORIGINAL catnip.

The second is the less difficult to find "mirrinminttu," which is known as Nepeta x faassenii or "Blue Catnip."

In America, I bought seeds of Nepeta nepeta because they are difficult to find and buy here and those said seeds are JUST now starting to sprout--a whopping four weeks after planting! Also, last weekend I was VERY lucky enough to come across a seller at a local cat show who had Nepeta nepeta and bought a few small babies. But, all of these plants are still babies and are in no way ready to be cut for my cat's enjoyment.

This weekend I went out to a large Finnish garden centre and they had Nepeta x faassenii there for sale in a large container. It had really pretty flowers and smelled similar to the original catnip, so I decided to buy one because my cats won't get to enjoy my little Nepeta nepeta sproutlings THIS year.

Well, here boils down the whole point of this post: Nepeta x faassenii DOES NOT give have the same affects on a cat that Nepeta nepeta does! Only Gerona has shown some interest in the "mirrinminttu." She likes to stomp on it and then smell her paws, but that's it, whereas when she gets ahold of Nepeta nepeta, she's rubbing the leaves into her fur, purring and acting like she's in pure ecstasy. As for Galina, she doesn't give a hoot about Nepeta x faassenii and only cares for the REAL thing.

So, I don't know if this will hold true for everyone, but if you ever go out to buy your cat some "catnip" in the LIVE form, check the scientific name first! Not all Nepetas are created equal!

Here's a link so you can see Nepeta x faassenii.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/34560-product.html

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 07:18 AM
Part of the Pack

Cool, one thing i want to know is does catnip work more effectively on female cats rather than males because my 2 male cats aren't that effected by it, i love watching my cats go crazy play fighting and just having nutty runs :p.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Cats actually have a gene in them which determines whether or not they are affected by the chemicals in catnip.

So, both of your males simply may not have the gene.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Oops! Correction, guys! I jus re-read the post and realised that for the Catnip I wrote "Nepeta nepeta" when it's "Nepeta cataria!"

That's why I should not post about long sun exposure.

Nepeta nepeta is called Calamint, I believe. However, if I ever find it available in stores, I just might have to buy some to test it out.

I've also heard of Teucrium marum, Cat Thyme, having an affect on cats. Has anyone ever seen this or tried it?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
male cat