Are Neutered cats supposed to develop "Boys"? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Are Neutered cats supposed to develop "Boys"?

I rescured my cat last summer from the SPCA. He was 10 weeks when we got him and we were told he was neutered. (we even paid the extra fee for a neutered animal.)

Well he is about 10 months old now and the other da when he was rolling around on his back I noticed his testicles have dropped.

Is this possible or did the SPCA mess up and he is not neutered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

He's not supposed to have testicles.. when they neuter an animal they remove the testicles. Have you taken himi to the vet since you got him? If not, you should go and ask the vet to check him. I know that with dogs that where neutered when they were 2-3 years, the scrotum looks like if they still had the testicles, but I don't know if with cats is the same.

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
He's not supposed to have testicles.. when they neuter an animal they remove the testicles. Have you taken himi to the vet since you got him? If not, you should go and ask the vet to check him. I know that with dogs that where neutered when they were 2-3 years, the scrotum looks like if they still had the testicles, but I don't know if with cats is the same.
I fully agree.... although if you got your cat at 10 weeks and he is now 10 months and your just now noticing this, I would take him to your vet for a full examine.....Cats are much like dog's when neutered their scrotum will still appear as though they still have testicles, but over time that "shrinks" up....so no he shouldn't look as though he has testicles if the SPCA neutered him.....now here is the ? I know some SPCA's will have you pay the extra fee and you are to get the animal spayed/neutered by your vet and then take the paperwork back into the SPCA to prove the animal was spayed/neutered and then the SPCA will refund you the extra money back (make sense?) I know there are quite a few SPCA's out there that do it this way, and then there are those that spay/neuter before adoption. I would take your cat into your vet and double check your adoption paperwork from the SPCA as well... Good Luck to ya!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Last edited by DirtySouthChins; 01-19-2005 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with what everyone else has said you really need to get him checked out by a vet as they will be able to tell you more clearly and also maybe worth while contacting the SPCA to see if there has been crossed lines or a mix up. As i think neutering at 10 weeks is rather young as surely he wouldn't have been fully developed at that age to be neutered as over here we recommend neutering or spaying from at least 6 months of age, so maybe worthwhile checking it out with the SPCA!?

Goodluck and let us know how you get on

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
As i think neutering at 10 weeks is rather young as surely he wouldn't have been fully developed at that age to be neutered
10 weeks is young to most, but around the world they are practicing early spay/neuter, especially at shelters .. we actually fostered a kitten that was neutered at 5 weeks old! That is the youngest we have ever seen, but we have seen quite a few at 8 weeks of age......but I do like to wait until 5-6 months for ours

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
10 weeks is young to most, but around the world they are practicing early spay/neuter, especially at shelters .. we actually fostered a kitten that was neutered at 5 weeks old! That is the youngest we have ever seen, but we have seen quite a few at 8 weeks of age......but I do like to wait until 5-6 months for ours
I did think it was rather young as at my practice we don't advise anyone to spay or neuter till at least 6 months of age to allow full development but like i say thats over here things are different in different countries

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I did think it was rather young as at my practice we don't advise anyone to spay or neuter till at least 6 months of age to allow full development but like i say thats over here things are different in different countries
That's how it is at my clinic...no spays or neuters till 6 months of age...I would definetly take him to the vet and have that checked. 10 weeks doesn't sound right for a neuter to me.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:39 PM

Shelters will spay and neuter that young. Being able to spay and neuter cats that young prevents makes it easier to adopt them out. Plus since people want kittens so badly, considering the overpopulation, its more advantageous to neuter before they go home.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
Shelters will spay and neuter that young. Being able to spay and neuter cats that young prevents makes it easier to adopt them out. Plus since people want kittens so badly, considering the overpopulation, its more advantageous to neuter before they go home.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Makes total sense! I guess my vet is a bit "Old School" I'd still have that checked out though, just in case they didn't actually do the neuter...but that's just my paranoid mind at work

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Mandie your vet really isn't old school. Believe it or not most vets do not understand medical care in a shelter setting. When cat distemper broke out in the shelter last summer none of the vets in the area diagnosed it. In their regular practices they hardly if ever see distemper or other common diseases. They see peoples pets that are somewhat healthly do begin with or develop not so common diseases. It may be healthier to neuter an animal at 5 or 6 months but when it comes to the over population problem it becomes a matter of necessity to save lives. The vet we use was trained in a mobile neuter/spay for feral cats. She was the one who finally told us it sounds like distemper.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Wow! Crazy! Glad they got it diagnosed! Yeah, I agree...due to vaccinations, most typical vets don't see much of that sort of thing these days.

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:35 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I agree Dena.... You know that is why I am glad that we have been able to work with one of the local vets so closely over here, we have brought in strays that have had this and that, but we have been lucky as to not bringing anything in like distemper, etc...but we have seen it through other foster parents that haven't been so lucky
There are alot of vets throughout the world that don't get to experience certain diseases because most practice "small pets" and most are family owned and fairl healthy, and there are those vet's that stand firm on NOT spaying/neutering before 5-6 months, but we are seeing more and more throughout the world that are practicing early spay/neuter

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the replys. The last vet he saw was the SPCA vet about 8 months ago for an URI. I didn't bring up the issue of neutering due to the fact I was told he was neuterd. Hubby is calling the SPCA today to figure out what went wrong.

We were told when we adopted him that 10 weeks is young, but the vet is able to do it. Since we alredy paid the extra fee, I'm hoping the SPCA will do it without charging, or at least a hugely discounted rate. Funds are kind of scarce right now.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

That's one thing that I see it's extremely wrong in the shelter I volunteered a couple of years ago. The WON'T spay/neuter unless the dog/cat has all his vaccines. Most people heard this and said, "yeah, I'll come back later then" and didn't spay/neuter their pets. The techs and one of the vets there were against this, but the head vet there made it a rule "to force people to give their pets the rabies shot". I think it was stupid... some people would simply not spay/neuter so they wouldn't had to pay extra for the shots and some people would give their pets the rabies shot to spay/neuter and then never give it again...

Dimaris

Tags
feral cats