Neutering at a later age? Concerns - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Neutering at a later age? Concerns

My cat is about a year old, and he is going in to be neutered on the 25th of this month. What I am concerned about is will it change his temperament? He is such a sweet cat and very cuddly. I would hate for him to change and suddenly be aloof or something.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

You should have no problems, a year old isn't that old to have a cat neutered, I would worry a little more if he was past the age of 2 or 3. He might be a little tempermental after the sugery for a little while, but give it time for his hormones to settle and he should return back to normal. Sometimes it can take weeks to months for their hormones to settle, so if he get's strange on you, just be patient.
Good Luck!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I would neuter at any age. The benefits far outweigh the risks. I guarantee he still will be a sweetie

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My vet had a very long waiting list, so it took forever to be able to get him neutered because they only have certain days they do neuters/spays on. Then there is someone who stays overnight to watch the animals, whereas they are closed at night most of the time. I just don't want him to loose his sweetness.

Miyabita Designs

Usagi no Tsukiyo

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I wouldn't worry, In my experiences, even the sweetest kitties get sweeter after a neuter...he may be cranky and aloof for a few days while he heals but if he's anything like the cats I used to have, he'll want his mommy! Most of the pets with the exception of Lucky Jack (just because he wasn't tamed at all before I got him) always want their Mommy when they aren't feeling well. Neutering at any age for a cat far outweighs the risks. I've just always had cats neutered young so they don't get into the habit of marking territory. If he's not marking territory, you shouldn't have any problems.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 03:59 PM

I have seen many different cats nuetered or spayed at all different ages and it has never once changed temperment for the worse. Like Mandie said they usually get sweeter. For the couple of days after the surgery they seem to be a little cranky until the medication completely wears off.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Okay, that is good news. I can certainly understand them being cranky for a while, just as long as it is not long-term.

Miyabita Designs

Usagi no Tsukiyo

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 03:01 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yup just give it time... We had one male that was cranky for nearly 5 months, but he eventually became his sweet self again, and we have had other's that showed no change what so ever, I still think it is all about the individual kitty.....Good Luck!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Tags
lucky jack