neutering and spaying - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Glowing New Mommy

neutering and spaying

my kittens are going in soon.. just waiting for a credit card to come in the mail... brother and sister... shes getting fixed, hes getting fixed and front de-claw (he is AWFUL with his nails)... my vet says its optional to do the pre-op blood work (to make sure the organs are working correctly) , should i have it done? has anyone NOT had it done? im glad tho, cause now i wont have brother and sister humping each other
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

I haven't had the pre-op stuff done on any of my four, and they are all just fine. As far as getting de-clawed, I have one that was declawed when he was an indoor cat, but is now indoor/outdoor and I regret it. Just bear in mind that if he ever does become an outside cat, he will be at a disadvantage. Hope all goes well with the surgery.

Becky
Proud Mommy to Sammi and Leigh (my girls)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Glowing New Mommy

thanks...i know about that, but he will not be indoor/outdoor...he scared to death of outside and we're gonna leave it that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:30 AM
Part of the Pack

For me to work at a vet I know the importance of having blood work done prior to the surgery. You never know if they have any problems with their blood. Some clinics also check internal organ function which helps alot also. It also helps to check their white blood cell count, if there are any infections, if there is kidney or liver disease (which is why the blood work is done). If there are any problems they have to be put on antibiotics before surgery. It's always up to you though although I encourage it.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:52 AM

5 animals fixed and have not done the optional blood work. There is always a chance that there could be something wrong but my vet didn't push the issue because my animals appeared very healthy. Of course you sign a waiver in case anything does go wrong so it is a very personal choice. If it will give you piece of mind though a smaller wallet then I would say to do it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Ever since I lost Riley I will ALWAYS have any test possible done before a spay/neuter procedure. Mirra will be going for an echocardiogram this fall, and I will decide from there if I want to go through with it.

My situation was different because Riley had a heart problem and blood work wouldn't have detected it, hence the echo being done on Mirra.

Rhonda

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

Just last week my brother-in-law-to-be took his kitten in and did the optional blood work. Turns out Doogan had a kidney infection. I don't know the specifics of kidney disease, but Doogan has to have surgery for that before they'll neuter him.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Glowing New Mommy

WEll, Thursday is the day... i have to drop both of them off at 9 am.... im also takin my two dogs so they can be caught up on their shots so we can foster/./. wish us luck
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

good luck! I had my two cats, also brother and sister, fixed and all went well. I can't remember if we had done anything for preparation. I do know when I brought my lil sugar glider, Mac, in to the vet to get fixed, I was scared to DEATH! It was the first operation that my exotic vet had done on a sugar glider. (but he did rats, etc.) but all turned out a lot better then I expected! again, good luck!

Kristina,
my three sugar gliders:

Meka, Mac, and Sasha
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 02:15 PM

We have had that option but have never done it, they are still young and they are all healthy so there wasn't really any reason.

Onto the de-clawing though....I am totally against that...i think it is wrong to literally take out there nails and it takes out some of the foot as well....It can also affect the cats behavior so its not just de-clawing really. Maybe you could look into some other methods instead of going to this length. In UK it is illegal due to animal welfare...and I would never do it to my cats!!!

Here is some info about it if you want to check it out: http://www.declawing.com

Your choice though...I am just personally really against it and do not think it is fair on the cat.

Sorry if I upset you, i do not want that. Just want you to realise how major doing that is and what it intails.

Eva x
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Glowing New Mommy

I'm not upset that you feel this way.. im a little irked that you feel the need to post this on my post cause you really dont know the situation.... Personally, i am against de-clawing cats too, but i'm still having it done cause these cats tear up the house.. they have scratching posts, they have houses they can scratch.. but they choose the walls and the really nice woodwork we have in the basement.. so my mind is set on that.. and my cat tobbie was declawed and hes as normal as can be (his previous owners had it done).. and im not getting those soft-paw things cause i work two jobs and dont have the time to hold my cats down and glue things on their nails.. besides , its only the front, not like im doing all 4.. and they are purely inside so they dont need them for protection or anything
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Glowing New Mommy

Well, i dropped Sebastian off this morning.. he is now current on his vaccines and is on his way to getting neutered... the dogs are all current on their vaccines (yay)... Alice, my little girl, is not getting spayed today.. shes getting an ultrasound.. i believe she is pregnant.. even the vet says she feels "a little full"... so i have to wait til 1 to call and find out... if she is, one kitten already has a home...

Tags
animal welfare, exotic vet, indoor cat, sugar glider