Never ending sinus infection??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Never ending sinus infection???

Ever since I've gotten my cat it has had what seems to be a sinus infection. He came with antibiotics I had to give to him for the first 10 days I had him. It didnt seem to help too much. A while later he developed an abscess on top of his head kind of between the eyes. I got more anti-biotics, which I gave him for 30 days. The abscess went away and completely healed, only to come back a few weeks later. He sneezes a lot and shoots out boogers.

Other than this, he has a healthy appetite, a good friendly attitude, and is playful. Recently a girl who works at a vet was at my house and saw him and determined that he did infact have a sinus infection and surgury on his sinuses may be the best option for him. When I visited vets earlier they did not mention surgery, only recurring steroid shots and tons of tests, all of which I couldn't afford. If a surgery could fix him up I would be more than willing to do it. I'd like some opinions on whether or not surgery is the best answer, and if you have any personal experiences with something similar.

Thanks, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 06:08 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Gosh - I don't have any experience/advice ... but I do remember an episode of Emercency Vets where a cat had exactly what you're describing - the abscess between the eyes and everything. They ended up removing a piece of his skull to drain his sinuses - it looked pretty radical - but it all turned out well for the kitty.

I hope they find a solution to your kitty's problem. Keep us updated !

Sharon
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Luckily for me, this girl said she can get me a "deal" on the surgury, as bad as that sounds.

It's kinda wierd because I had a friend who used to have pretty bad sinus infections, one that became serious and built up behind his eye. He had to get emergency surgury on his sinuses and they drilled them and made it one big sinus, and he hasn't had a problem since. They didn't have to remove part of his skull... of course he is a human and not a cat so the procedure is probably different, but the same idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

In order to even make the diagnosis of a chronic sinus infection with build up in the sinus cavity a CAT scan (no pun intended ) of the head would be the only way to know for sure. An endoscopic exam would also determine if the sinus cavity was indeed draining or clogged up due to chronic infection and inflammatory process.

This requires anesthesia and an experienced Vet.
I wouldn't take the word of someone who just casually examined the animal at your home.

Long term antibiotic treatment on the advice of your Vet might be the first line of treatment before expensive testing or invasive surgical procedures.

I have a cat who came to me as a tiny kitten, so, so sick - sneezing, wheezing and dripping from his nose and eyes. Antibiotics cured him and he's now 2. He still has watery eyes and an occasional bout of sneezing. My vet says he is healthy though.

I hope you are able to determine the cause of the problem and it's not serious. Keep us posted

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Update please!

I know it's been several years since this post was created, but Brian if you're still active in this forum, please tell us what happened to your cat. My cat has the same symptoms as yours and out vet isn't sure what to do.