New cat (few troubles!!) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

New cat (few troubles!!)

Well yesterday i went to help a friend move into the house she has just bought. I ended up leaving with an 8 year old cat called Marmite!!! He is gorgeous and very friendly. His owner had left him in the house when he moved out and my friend couldnt keep him.
Anyways i have now rescued him coz i didnt want him going to the rspca just to be moved about again!
I already own Rocky and the 2 have had a couple of fights and mainly hissing etc. Any suggestions on how i get them to be friends because if i cant my husband wants to give him to the rspca as it is not fair on Rocky obviously!!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:22 PM
can't think of one, help

how long was he left alone in the house with no food or water. Here we have problems with that a lot now because of all the foreclosures. People just abandon their pets in the houses. In fact thats how I got two of mine. Anyway it takes a while for cats to adjust to other kitties in their houses. You can't expect it to happen immediately. Just let them get used to each other and intervene only if the fights get severe enough for someone to get hurt. The new kitty is traumatized from being left alone and being moved it can take months for a cat to feel comfy in a new home.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah i agree. just give them lots of time. i think giving toys (if they care) is safe, its not like dogs that'll fight over it.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Well he was left for about 2 weeks we think but somebody was feeding him! He has been well looked after apart from being abandoned! We have decided we are gonna give him to an old lady we know as she has just lost her own cat and wants another. he is already 8 years old and is obviously used to being the only pet so he will be happy being spoilt by her!!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am glad that he is in a home where he will be loved/spoiled.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Marmite! What a cute name... let me guess, he's a ginger cat...
This reminds me of Tigger and still manages to bring tears to my eyes LOL
Tigger was a nine year old ginger tabby that we'd taken home because someone we new was moving house and could not take him with her. 3 nights later and Tigger misteriously dissapeared... *sob sob* ... Oh well, that was only about, well, 5 years ago, but I still really want to know what happened to him!- never had a cat since, do you blame me lol, I'm concidering it though

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

No he is actually ALL black lol. He was already named Marmite according to the neighbours of the house he was left in! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Newborn Pup

whenever my family andi have introduced a cat in to the house, we would always keep the new one locked up in one room for about the first week, and when the cat is feeling comfortable we would allow supervised visits. when that would start going well, we would let the cat out for periods of the day while keeping an eye on the cats. then after about 2-3 weeks when things are going well, we let the cat have the run of the house, but still lock him/her up at night for about another week to 5 days. it has worked every single time. i just did it with my two cats back in january who are both 3. they are now best friends. i hope it all works out