New Here: Feilne Behavioral Issue - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New Here: Feilne Behavioral Issue

I have two cats, both spayed/neutered. A male who is a little over 1 year and a female who is 6 years.

The female cat has lately taken to peeing on my front door. I have taken her to the vet to rule out a UTI or any other underlying medical condition. I have used numerous products to clean the area as well as using things such as Feliway and Boundry. I have waited to catch her in the act and squirted her with a water bottle.

I have 2 litter boxes that are cleaned daily and I use Mimi litter. I have found both of my cats really dislike the clay stuff and the younger one even seems to have a bit of an allergy (sneezing and peeing at the same time is a real feat for that little guy LOL)

I am just so tired of waking up every morning to find pee on the door and coming home every night after work to find more, and I'm certain it's the female cat because I have caught her doing it.

We have had a bit of a hectic last year, moved from Wisconsin to Texas and I have started a new job recently. At first I thought maybe she was punishing me, but it seems like the more time I try to spend with her or give her extra treats, the more likely it is that I will find pee on the door. What gives?! I'm at my wits end and if I can't find a solution soon, I might have to find her a new home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

welcome to paw-talk
you may want to get a second vets opnion or
she could be marking her territory because she smells another cat or animal outside.you could also try buying stuff that is like a bitter smell to cats and she may not want to go to that area anymore. just ideas

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have already tried bitter/bad smelling/tasting sprays, washes, you name it. Nothing is working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 AM
It's all for them

Hello and welcome. First, see the vet again, or a different vet and have a urine sent out for a culture. This is a process that takes a little longer but is a more in depth analysis of the urine.

Secondly, you need to use an enzymatic cleaner on the door. Enzymatic means, it breaks down bacteria. And you have to really soak the door. More than once.

Or better yet, put in a new door.

When a cat avoids the litter box, there is always a reason. Either illness, or territorial or stress. It's the human's job to figure out the reason.

She clearly has had some stress, moving, and a change in routine, and stress can cause physical illness in cats.

It's quite possible that the door had been soiled before by other animals and your cat is objecting to that smell and covering it with her own. And/Or there is an animal outside upsetting her.

Spraying her with water won't teach her anything except to hide when she does it.

Install some feliway plug in diffusers to help with territorial issues and stress.

Clean the door daily with an enzymatic made for pet urine cleaner such as nok-out.

Get her urine sent out for a culture.

Reduce stress in the home.

Don't rule out medication as a possible solution. Amitriptyline is often used successfully in cases like this. But the health issue and territorial issue has to be dealt with first.

"finding her a new home" should not be an option. Who else is going to want a cat with litter box avoidance problems? She will end up abused or dumped on the street. I'm sure you don't want that for her. Pets are for life, when they have problems we deal with those problems.

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Newborn Pup

Its in beginning is required to learn your dog and over come on all the behavior problems.But now if it has become problem then do not you worry many training institutes are available for this job and you may easily get rid of and make your cat a ethical pet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.