New(ish) cat - no sleep :-( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

New(ish) cat - no sleep :-(

Hi guys.

I've recently (well, october) gotten a lovely little cat from Cats Protection. Her name is Naughty (i know... the clue was in the name) and she's 14. She was given to them when her owners emigrated, along with two others, but she was rehomed alone.

She is a lovely sweet affectionate little thing. She is also the MOST clingy cat i've ever known. She follows me around like a puppy when i'm at home. She won't go further than about 2 metres away from the house and sometimes won't go out at all unless i go with her. She insists on sitting as close as possible/sleeping as close as possible. She is also very vocal! She hides from visitors and is very submissive with any other cats in the neighbourhood even if they are practically in the house.
I'm thinking she has some abandonment issues :-D

Anyway, the main problem is over night. Last night, for example, I was woken at 2am, 3.30am and 5am. 7am is a lie-in. Most mornings it was 4-5am. Mostly this was to do with food, so by suggestion i got her an automatic cat feeder that feeds her at 4am so she'd leave us alone! The feeder seems to have worked.... but now she just wakes me up for cuddles and to thank me for food. There have even been occasions where she woke me up just because she wanted someone in the kitchen with her whilst she had breakfast.

I can't really restrict her to certain parts of the house due to the layout and other pets. Fortunately, she has stopped ripping up the carpet when i shut her out the room, but our room gets very warm so i hate having to shut the door.

Suggestions so far have been: give her a soft toy to cuddle to, and a radio so she has voices.
People have said i should shut her in the kitchen overnight (currently a bit of a building site unfortunately). She has another very comfy room she can go and sleep in, so its not like out bedroom is the best. I've also resorted to the water pistol method for the carpet ripping. She's got loads of toys and i try to wear her out at night before bedtime (but i had to take the toys away over night as a ping-pong ball on wooden floor was noisier than the cat on its own).

I know you're all going to say i should ingore her, but after 15/30mins of meowing and pawing at my face (and occasionally sticking paws up my nose and in my mouth (cute and funny the first few times only)), its very difficult, especially as my boyfriend sometimes works nights, and gets annoyed about being disturbed.

I'm really up for any other wild and whacky suggestions. the bags under my eyes are getting bigger and bigger and i have friends with newborn babies who get more sleep than i do!

HEEEELLLP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 AM

Oh, I'm so sorry, I had to laugh at the "Paws up my nose" one! Hee hee. I can relate, I have a cat who needs attention like that and it is quite annoying at times. She will do everything in her power to wake me up when she wants attention! She will go to the dresser and literally look at me, sit there and "meow" until I wake up and when I tell her to get down, she will "stare" at me and take her paw and one by one, knock off one thing after another until I get up to chase her away. I will no sooner get back into bed, fall asleep, and she's back!!!! There are some nights, she does this until I am ready to throw her out the door and take my husband's suggestion to get rid of her and then... she will go through her "I'm a nice kitty mode" and do nothing but cuddle and sleep all night next to me under my arm under the blankies like a little doll. Who could toss that out or give that away? She's got my number! LOL I thought of one suggestion for you. Can you feed her in your room? Maybe she would eat by you and go right back to sleep. It's just an idea. But, yeah, I sympathize with the "no sleep" thing. Take a nap during the day if you can. I think my cats are re-training me to become a cat! Good luck and best of wishes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MzKityLvsBrdsTo; 05-28-2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: corrected sentence - hee hee.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Jird Jostler

Aww thats cute, she obviously oves you very much. I'd second MZKitty's idea about feeding her in your bedroom as this might (hoprfully) work.. good luck!

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Aww Naughty kitty must really love you! i haven't had a cat in a few years, and none of them have woken me at night except to ask permission to sleep with me. then they just got comfy and we went back to sleep.

My only suggestion would be to ignore her, it sounds like you've tried it already, but you gave in. If you give into her cries, next time she'll cry twice as long to get your attention. It may sound mean, but if you know shes just asking for attention, you'll have to ignore her, or she'll never stop. maybe lock her in a bathroom over night, First making sure theres nothing she can get into or hurt on of course, close the lid, empty the trash bin, clear off the counters, if you have a shower curtain, tuck it up over the curtain rod so it doesn't get shredded etc. Then put her food, water, litter pan and a towel or blanket or something for her to lay on in there, along with some quiet toys, those little stuffed mice work great. or little pompom balls, whatever she likes. Then give her lots of love and hugs, tell her goodnight and close the door, and use some earplugs if you have to so you can get a good nights rest.. She'll be OK. And you can make it up to her in the morning. when your well rested and happy to see her.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thank you for laughing at the paw up nose incident :-(

i've thought of trying the food in the room thing, but she has mainly wet food and i can't imagine the smell would be too pleasant! plus boyfriend is not keen on that idea.

this morning it was a 3.30 and a 5.00. 5.00 she got shut out the room (i was mean), meowed and ripped up the carpet for 2 and a half hours. went all cuddly when i let her in this morning, but is being a bit of a grump now (but i get peace and quiet so i'm not going to complain!). And it was tough to ingore her knowing what was happening to our carpets :-(

MzKity - I don't know how you cope! I'd struggle if she started knocking stuff of my dresser.... "wrapped around paw" springs to mind - both of us that is! :-D

Who teaches them that "cute kitty" look? The "i'm so cute and lovely and butter wouldn't melt" look? Naughty always gets me goey by sticking her tongue out at me.... its so cute and i just want to hug her!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
RAT ADDICT

My kitty,Hatchet used to be like that.He still wants to be everywhere I am,but I do not allow him in my bedroom anymore.

At first he meowed loudly throughout the night and it was annoying.He would be at my bedroom door,sticking his paws under and meowing.I would go fill up his dish with wet food and after he was done eating it,he would be back at my door.So I started ignoring it.I would put a pillow over my head or headphones/ear plugs in and eventually Hatchet realized,that in the night it is sleep time for me and would leave me alone.

He now don't bother trying to get my attention at night.He leaves the door alone and goes about his buisness in the other rooms and everyone is happy.

So maybe you could ignore her,but use ear plugs or something and lock her out of the bedroom.She will eventually stop...or should.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I'll quote you on that :-D

How do you hear the alarm clock?? :-D
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 04:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H View Post
I'll quote you on that :-D

How do you hear the alarm clock?? :-D
I didn't.I would always seem to wake up a little early anyway.
I don't need ear plugs now tho,because Hatchet doesn't bother me in the nights anymore.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Playful Pup

As difficult as it may be, the only way to truely break her of the habbit is to ignore her. When she pesters you at night her goal is to get your attention. When you finally get annoyed, and give her attention (even if its negative attention) you are rewarding her. If you consistently ignore her, she will soon realize that she can stick her paw up your nose as much as she wants to, but she won't get anything from it. She'll then give the behavior up.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I got a whole nights sleep last night :-D
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

glad to hear you got some sleep... I wish ignoring kramer would work I have tried the ignoring him thing and he just gets mean, so I figure the best thing to do with him when he wants his wet food is get up and give it too him. I will however ignore him if he starts his meowing at 5am he knows I won't feed him till at least 9am at the earliest. But when I was ignoring him to get him to that point my feet where bloody stubs I told you he got mean right?

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog: