New kittens, need advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Post New kittens, need advice

Hi everyone,
I just adopted two new kittens about a week and a half ago, and was looking for some advice on them. They are approx. 6 weeks old. We though when we got them from my grandpa's farm that they were about 4-5 weeks old, so we started bottle feeding them with kitten milk replacement.

Then one started getting diahria, then the other one got it. So we took them to the vets who said that they were about six weeks old, not four. She said that they probably have worms and she gave us some canned cat food to help with digestive system. They are eating quite a bit, but they don't seem to be gaining weight, if anything they are loosing weight.

They also have the habbit of sucking on each others butts (sorry, i couldn't think of a nicer way to put it). We always pull them away from wach other when we catch them ,but we just don't know why they do this.

We have started them on using the litter box, but they only seem to use this half of the time. So any advice on this and anything else I should know would be GREATLY appricaiated. Also, please do not critice (sp?) on how younge i got them, I know we got them too young, but with my grandpas barn cats, most often kittens do not survive, or they become wild b/c the mother hides them, so we felt that it was in the best intrest of the kittens if we took them when we did. We love them and are willing to do anything for them, so any advice would be appriciated!! Thanks in advance,

~petluvr01~

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:12 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

It is probably b/c most meal replacements has cow milk and it is not that good for cats in high amounts. I will give my cats a drop of it, but I would advise not to give too much milk. Definably give them a dewormer ((from the vet)) as it is one dose and if they do have worms, will get rid of them. Never use store bought dewormers as it can kill.

Also please get the mom spayed, if possible. It can keep the population of kittens down, and also will keep them healthier as they are not mating all the time. Going though heats and pregnancies can make their bodies go thought alot, esp when pregnant as their immune system, like our own when were preggers, is down. More likely to get sick. most places have low cost options for low income familes, just search online for one close to you.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

The vet told us to take them off of the milk replacer and give them canned food and gradually mix in hard kitten food. She also gave them a dose of dewormer and said thath they would be needing another dose in about 3 weeks. Theri stools are normal now, so I am guessing that it was b/c they were on the milk.

We just got a different brand a canned cat food for them (they aren't on the special diet anymore, vet said it was just until their digestive system was back to normal). We got the Friskies shaved chicken, they seemed to love that. I was wondering if there is any like high calorie food out there (that isn't expensive) that we could get for them to help them get up to normal kitten weight.

Also any advice on why they are sucking on wach others back end?? Thanks

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:36 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

That will go away with time, cats like to sniff each other there, suckling wont hurt them. It dont look nice but it is normal.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

ok thanks! I just didn't know if it was a bad sign or anything. We gave them their for whole bath yesterday, they looked soo cute afterwards! They were all cover in food and just wiping them off with a wet towel wasn't cutting it anymore! I will have to post pictures when I upload them on to my computer.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Jird Jostler

awwwweeeee kittens are ccuuuuuuuuuutttteeeeeee =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awww congrats on the kitties!! im glad the vet trip made a difference and they're getting better now! can't wait to hear more about them

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

hey everybody! Sorry I haven't been on (internet got fried in lightning storm). The kittens are getting so big and are so cute!!! They are about 10 weeks old now and are as playful as ever!! We have one shorthaired black little girl whose name is Chloey and a longhaired cream little boy named Carmen (short for Carmello). They are getting loved to death!! When I get some pictures uploaded I will post them on here. Thanks for the advice. I only have on equestion now, what age can we get them fixed?? The last thing we want is more kittens even more so b/c they are brother and sister. Thanks everybody!!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 05:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

Congrats on the kitties.

They are most likely suckling because they were taken away from the mother so soon.They may or may not get out of this habit.

As for neutering/spaying...you can get them done as early as 5 months.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yes they have stopped that habit we were thinking it may have been when they were hungry so we upped the feeding time and they stopped doing that. They are doing great now and love climbing!! We have got them a kitty tent and tunnel and they just ove going through them, they also love to bat their balls around!!

We have picked up some of those Softpaws from petsmart and were wondering who else has used those and what their experience was with them? We still have about another week or two until we can put tyhose on them b/c they need to be 12 weeks b4 they can have those on.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I just adopted my little boy kitty at 8 weeks and he had already been nuetered, the vets here do it so early, at all shelters and resces they fix them before they can leave to a new home, he seems to be doing ok though...

Congrats on your new babies

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 PM
can't think of one, help

My little ones, were done at a very young age, They can do them at 2 to 3 mths now. Advances in vet med. Re: the soft paws, I've been getting mine used to having manicures frequently, they have been good about letting me do it. Waiting for pix
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

My little guys are so lovable, they will let us play with their paws and stuff like that. The little girl, Chloey, will let me cradle her in my arms while rubbing her tummy and more often that not she will fall asleep right there. The little boy, Carmen, he is getting more playful now, everytime we go to pick him up he thinks we're playing so he's all claws and teeth, except for when he is sleeping!! Little Chloey is my girl though, we did have them in the half of the kitchen with baby gates (until they learned how to climb the gates!! LOL) and when we went into the kitchen and if she wanted to get out she would come over to the gate, sit and just look up and you until you picked her up.

I want to put some pics on here really bad, but out computer at home was hit by lightning or something in a thunder and lightning storm and needs to get fixed so I have to go a half and hour away just to get on the computer, and I can't download them onto this computer. But I promise as soon as I get pictures on any computer I will most definatley post them.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 08:35 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am glad they are doing well.
I can't wait for pictures!

I have never tried "soft paws" - but I have heard good things about them.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Will It Ever Change?

aww they sound SO sweet! I can't wait to see them

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan