new place - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

new place

Hello all,

this is my first post on this site... now I have a little kitty his name is oreo we found him back in october on the side of the street with his mom... I felt really bad for the little guy he was in bad shape he was full of fleas and had an eye and ear infection brought him to the vet and she fixed him up lol.. now he's doing great but I'm just scared at the fact that where going to be moving into a new place and I want to make it easy on him... now the question is how do I make the transition as smooth as posible? any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I think many cats are pretty tolerable of moving. I just recently moved and my cat is pretty old, 11. So she's fairly set in her ways. We gave her a place she could feel safe and hide out if she wanted. Mainly, a brand new carrier she loved but if you make a box house or something that's great. A blanket she uses frequently, something of comfort that is covered in her scent.

Most of all I find, leave your kitty alone when you move. Don't handle the kitty too much. Best to let him just come around on his own. He's young, he'll most likely come around pretty fast. Treats and petting when he comes out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

here are the a couple of pics of my baby lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oreo4.jpg (37.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg oreo5.jpg (37.3 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

aww he is beautiful
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

hehe yeah those where taken back in november when I got him.. I taught i had put a recent picture of him but I guess not so here's one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oreo2.jpg (31.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg oreo3.jpg (19.8 KB, 13 views)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

such a pretty boy!

whenever we moved, it would take our cats a day or two to sniff out the place. once they figured out the lay of the house and where their favorite furniture was, they were happy as can be and took over the new roost real fast.

Okay, so I've got a mischevious husband and a few buns...

Grand Marshall NutterButter of TFAN

Code Name: Snow White

PT's Official Poker
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Welcome to the site! Your kitty is such a handsome fellow; it looks like he has a little gray goatee .

I've never moved with a pet, so I can't offer much in the way of advice. However, I do know they make a product called Feliway, which is a synthetic pheromone. I'm recalling off hand what the vet told me, but it goes something like this: The Feliway mimics the scent cats emit from glands around their face (that's why they're always rubbing up against stuff); this stuff is very calming for them. You can spray some in the carrier about 10 minutes before you put in kitty in. You can also spray it around the new place...or they sell diffusers you can plug into outlets.

You can also get Bach flower extracts from holistic vets. These exctracts can help with emotions, etc. (if you believe in holistic medicine...I do, but some don't).

Good luck!

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

when we moved, we took the cats to visit the new apartment a few times before we moved everything in, and then when we moved it all in we made sure to keep everything where it had been so there was no confusion, they hid for a day or so but they adjusted better than the dog lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Crazy Woman Driver

good advice from everyone. also i would put something with your scent in the box to help your kitty feel safe (who is very cute by the way)

Caroline
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for all the advice I will try it.. thnaks for all the compliments like I said beffore I had found him on the side of the road one nite when it was really cold his mom ran away a few days later but I still have my little guy He means the world to me and we had to get him operated on a few days ago and my wife was like it's ok... we need to get it done... the vet wanted to compleately declaw him but I told her just to take out what she needed he had some weird thing going on and she said that the only way she could resolve it was by taking the nails out I was like omg... but he came home and he was druged up for the last few days but he's fine
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

Welcome to the site! Love the kitty pics!!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

glad to hear hes fine...its always scarey when our little ones go through things like that...keep the little guy in my thoughts through it all

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
ear infection