newborn kitten - need advice - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Will It Ever Change?

congrats on daisymay growing up well! she sounds like quite the little kitten. many thanks to you, again, for taking her in. i know she will repay you with love

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

They pee a lot, don't they! I know what you mean.

On the lapping of food - that'll just come naturally. So you'll have to let her figure it out.

On the litter box - with ours, we discovered some poo on the floor one day and was like, "She's going poo on her own!!" So that's how we knew she was ready to for some litter box training.
We got a kitten-sized litter box and put her in there (with litter) and raked her front paw through the litter to show her how to dig in it. We put her poos in there, and whenever she peed, we put that in there, too. We would either stimulate her over the box or put the pee-soaked paper towels in there.
Honestly, once she started going on her own, she hated being stimulated. She would make an even bigger fuss over it than normal.

So yah, that's what I would try. If you don't want to invest in a kitten-sized litter box (which she'll outgrow), you can always get the disposable ones that are made out of cardboard. You can cut down the sides for her (so it's easy for her to get over the sides with her short legs).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:39 PM

Daisymay sounds as though she's really doing well thanks to you and your dedication.

When you start litter box training her, besides putting her in the box and raking her paws in the litter, you might want to take her to the pan after feedings and upon awakening from a nap. Young kittens need reminders of what to do and where the pan is located. She'll catch on quickly.

As she becomes more coordinated it will really be fun to have her running around. Just wait until the day she starts climbing up your pants leg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

One piece of advise about the litter box is to be sure it's close enough to her. Our first cat bunny was very tiny (younger than we were told) We brought her home and put a litter box in the kitchen but gave her the run of the house. If she was upstairs she was too small to get to the box in time. She would have accidents. The funny part was everyone in the family was covering up for her and not saying anything to anyone else.

And please post pictures. I am in kitten withdrawal and need a fix!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 PM

just a tip on the litterbox thing. This may sound a bit nuts but get some of the disposable glad storage containers. They are shallow, they would leak in the bedding if she does a lot, and when you are sure the litter can't be sifted anymore just put the lid on and throw it out! This saved me when I first brought home my little one and she was 6 weeks so you can get a pack and it'll last you.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips on the litter box. We are still working on it and she has gone a couple of times in it, but still prefers my living room carpet! The first time she went in the litter box I was so excited as if my child had taken her first step. Major milestone! I am still working with her and we will see how it goes. Thanks again.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yay she's doing good! litter training! what a huge step, im glad she's well and made it to this stage keep up the great work, thanks for the updates!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 PM

I am so excited for you!! It's almost like we are all experiencing it with you, at least a little. You know what they say, takes a village.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it definitely takes a village. Thank you all for your advice and tips and helping me through all of this. I also wanted to let all of you know that Daisy just came back from the vet with a clean bill of health!!! YAY!! I had had an issue with Daisy not pooping. She had not gone for almost a week. This really scared me! She was not showing any signs of being in distress but it was concerning. The vet said for me to try giving her droppers full of Karo syrup to help her go. In case anyone has this same experience with a little kitten, let me tell you, that stuff works. It took a couple of days but she finally went!!! Never thought i would be excited about a kitten pooping!! So hopefully with all the help you all have given me, maybe this will help someone else! thank you again. Every one of you get a jewel in your crown for being there for me and little Daisy!! Take care!!
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww yay!!! I am sooooooo glad she is doing well. You should be proud of yourself you have done a wonderful job with little Daisy and she is gonna pay you back with love like you wouldnt believe!! I cant wait to see pics of the little angel she sounds like such a little cutie!!! xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh yes, I understand being elated at poo, it's sad but true. In my case it was bunny poo that thrilled me.
I guess that is what happens when a sweet little one enters your life and take over.

Give her kisses for me. I am thrilled to hear she has done well at the vets.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:53 AM

I commend you and yours for the attempt to help this helpless creature. Milk alone is not enough for any animal to live on, try adding a egg yolk and a little honey to make a cheap formula for her or buy the better balanced kitten formula found at most grocery stores and walmart. Goats milk is also good and is a little better than the homemade formula. She is crying because she is lonely. You can buy her/him a small beanbags or box and Try putting a small stuffed animal in the box with her to cuddle up to, also a wind up "ticker" clock will remind her of mom's heartbeat and should help sooth her, also another good trick is to use a hot water bottle for her to cuddle with for warmth. Also As I would offer her which ever formula you use with a little baby cereal to help her to start eating, after she learns to lap it up well then offer her some soaked kitten food. It will not hurt her and will be less hassle for everyone else. To get her to lap up the baby cereal put some on your finger and let her taste it the move your finger to the saucer that you use to show her where it's at and what it is. Good Luck and thank you for not letting her die.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 06:17 PM

for laping up the food try putting a little bit on your finger and everyday moving your finger closer and closer to the bowl.

Tags
animal shelter, canned food, cat food, heating pad, kitten food, litter box, litter box training, litter train, litter training, local animal shelter, male cat, stuffed animal, vet tech