Is this normal - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Is this normal

If his has to be moved the General animal one by the powers to be then please do so.

So i was sitting here on the computer and trinity starts licking the bed. and i stop her to see what shes doing and theres a little spot i look at it and it has this smell in which i sort of reconized. When lady would lick her bum she get this stuff that comes out of it. It doesnt smell like poop but it has an differant smell. and they like to lick it. So is this normal. And if it is what is it??? and is there a way to stop it??? is there differant methods for dogs and kitties?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26233
It sounds like it could be anal gland secretions.

Stephanie

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Well lady got hers squeezed and the vet said she was ok. Do i need to take Trinity in? i dont hink i can handel doing that... i would all over

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:06 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

the same thing happens with Snickers (my female 2 1/2 yr old cat) and our male, Lucky licks her um... hind quarters! I think it is just hormones
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My guess would be it was the dog who did it and Trinity found it, as cats are much less likely to have problems. Gumbo likes to express his at random intervals - as long as they're not impacted or swollen, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Stephanie

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

The dog wasnt here unless whens he was here 5 days ago and was on my bed and did it which could be the case

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Part of the Pack

It could be the anal glands. If they need to be emptied you would notice that Trinity is squatting and rubbing her bum on the floor or something and licking her bum a lot. Then they should be emptied because if they dont they can get too full or I've seen one dog's anal glands get puss and other things in there because they weren't emptied out.
Sky needs them done. She's going to go to work with me tomorrow so I can practice doing them on her.
It's said that they are supposed to let that out on their own when they go to the bathroom but some don't do it. And when you get it done, you usually have to keep getting it done. We'll see what happens with Sky though. I've never had that problem with Simba though.

My babies...

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/analglands.htm
You can read about anal gland problems in cats here. It's much more common in dogs, but can definitely happen in cats. If you notice any swelling or any other symptoms mentioned, I'd take Trinity in.

Stephanie

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Thanks you guys... so if it happens again should i take her in or do i need to learn how to do it myself? how much does it cost to get them done?

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Finding a spot where they've been expressed isn't exactly a cause for concern. I'd only be concerned if she's having problems such as scooting, or frequent expression, swelling, etc.

Cost varies per vet/groomer and is different depending on the area you're in. The best way to find out would be to call local offices.

Stephanie

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Well she isnt scootie and there is no swelling i just thought "not cats too!"

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

Ugh when i groomed dogs and cats ith my mom i think the least favorable part was doing the anal glands.

Lois Isabel

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 05:59 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

HA! Dakota was having problems awhile back and kept scooting across the floor... Ben decided to empty her anal glands for her because it had been going on for a few days and you just knew thats what her problem was...

He did it in the kitchen of our apartment, and that kitchen was very small now... It shot across the room!!! We laughed SO hard I thought I was going to pee! And the kitchen reeked by the way, but Ben claims he can't smell the stuff... riiight.

Anyways, I've never seen Sam having problems with her anal scent glands.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Part of the Pack

Well, I'm learning how to do it because of working at the clinic and I'm going to have to do it to other animals and not just my own but I think you can learn how to do it. Plus, I rather my small finger go up Sky's bum than someone else's
I'd just wait till she starts scooting or if you see any swelling.
Once we had a dog in that they never did the anal glands and some nurse was trying to empty them out but they were full of puss and it hurted the dog so much to get it done that they had to sedate it. Well, when they were doing it, the stuff shot out from the butt and the nurse had his face by there so he got some on his glasses. He just threw those glasses on the floor as fast as he could and ran to the bathroom. It was pretty funny and I bet the dog felt better.
I'll warn you though that it smells HORRIBLE. I would call a clinic and ask how much it could be done for. I wouldn't think it was too much. I can ask at the clinic I work at and tell you. The prices will differ with location though.

My babies...

Last edited by mm_simb; 06-29-2005 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

ok i know theres a clinic that will give me a discount because i am a college student. I wouldnt mind them doing that... I just like her to go to vet where my parents live. But no scooting. OHHH i know off topic but trinity trinks out of the toilet!!!! is that just gross or what??? i thought only dogs did that but if you dont putt the seet down after you go she will run in there and try and drink the swireling water