Is this normal bahavior? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Is this normal bahavior?

My 1 yr old male cat has been doing this thing where he'll walk by with a high arched back and rub up against my legs while I'm sitting at the computer, ...I'd say that part is completely normal behavior, however, then just as he barely gets past my feet, he suddenly turns around and bites my toes, ...sometimes this can be very painfull!! I'm not exactly sure as to why he does this, or if there is possibly something he is trying to tell me by doing this. I really dunno.

He was just neutered recently, and ever since that time he has been really unpredictable, ...he goes from mild to wild instantly, bites about anyone who tries to touch him. Maybe one time per day he will jump up on your lap and demanding affection, he'll snuggle up to ya, and let you pet him for about 3 minutes, ..then without warning he'll either turn his head and bite, or roll over on his side and kick and scratch at your hand if it's anywhere close to him. Other cats that I've had before in the past never have acted like this. He's an odd one, ..still love him very much though.

Please advise any likely reasons as to why he might be biting at my toes like this.

Thanks a million!!
reeB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My cat keeps doing that too.
Well Emil and Tilly.
They jump on the bed demanding attention and then when they get bored with it they bite me and scratch.
It upsets me loads and today I was just sick of everything and Emil jumped on the bed and I was cuddling him and then he just bit me on the hand.
It did not hurt but after the day I had I just burst into tears.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

My cats act like that.

It's normal. However, the thing is to not let them get away with biting you very hard. If they bite you very hard, thump them on the head. Not hard, but enough to let them know you don't appreciate them biting you so hard. If you keep little water guns nearby, you could also trying squirting him, but you have to be quick and do it IMMEDIATELY after he bites you.

Gerona is NOTORIOUS for wanting you to pick her up and then starts biting your arms. But as a kitten, I tapped her head when she bit hard and so now, she just bites your sweater.

But, rest assure, it's normal kitty behaviour to sometimes be erratic.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:47 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I tapped him on the nose and he knew he did something wrong.
Next time he tried to get on the bed I said NO to him and he stood there waiting for a response and then I said come on then and he came up and cuddled me.
I ended up with all 3 of them on the bed last night

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I know this is an old thread, but this behavior continues to annoy me, ...usually after my wife leaves for work, and I sit down to get some work done on my PC, soon after my cat will start to meow, and he'll pace back -n- forth by his food dishes (..it surely can't be that he's hungry, because this is usually not long after he's been fed) his meowing gets louder and louder. THEN, he'll casually walk by my feet (under my desk) he'll turn around and bite me and walk away, ...many times it hurts! I've tried to tap him on the head and w/ a stern voice say, "No!", however this hasn't seemed to work effectively.

I know he probably gets bored, but at the same time I've got important work that needs to get done, I usually take advantage of the time my wife is at work to get this stuff done, ..it's when I'm most productive.

Don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Part of the Pack

I've found that keeping a water squirter around is really helpful. Put really cold water in it with a little bit of lemon. Don't spray it on the face. They hate the taste of it but they also hate it on themselves. Set the water bottle on stream rather than mist. Do it right after he bites you. My cat is the same way. Not much now as he was before because I got him a companion and now he bothers her...but not as much as before because I've been squirting him. Hope that helps a little. You can also continue saying a stern NO when you squirt him.

My babies...

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Haven't tried that yet, always thought it seemed somewhat mean to squirt 'em with water, ..but then again, it's also mean to continue biting your owner. I'm gonna try that and see what happens.

Also, in the past when I've tapped him on the nose saying, "No!!", ..he has often times tried to jump up and attack my hand or arm as I'm pulling it away from him.

Don't get me wrong, I do make time to play with him each and every day, ..he's just a little demanding and becomes annoying when I need to do office work.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Part of the Pack

That's exactly why I don't tap my cat anywhere when trying to get him to stop something. He doesn't take punishment good so he would always attack me when I'd tap him. He doesn't do that when I squirt him.

My babies...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:20 AM

Gerona sometimes tries that retaliating nonsense with me and I'll hiss at her and give a very mean look. Sometimes, I will even give a little growl.

And, never underestimate the power of the waterbottle. It's quite an effective tool.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks all!! Wish I would've found a clean bottle last night, cuz he was right back at it this morning. I'll get one today though.

Thinking about getting another one so he'll have a buddy of his same species to play and pal around the house with. I found a cute female kitten that's old enough now to leave her momma, ...but I'm concerned as to how he'll take to the kitty if we were to bring her home. Even though he had been fixed, Spook seems to still have some of his rowdy "tom-cat" tendencies left in him. This is likely due to him being fixed kinda late at around 1 yr old. Guess we'll just have to watch 'em real close for a while.

Thanks all! reeb
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Yeah a companion might do him somegood. The squirt bottle can discourage him from playiing too rough with her too. Otherwise, shouldn't have too much trouble. Genearlly male cats don't take too badly to a new household member and if she's younger as you say it shouldn't be hard at all.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Part of the Pack

It does sound like normal behavior to me. He may just be lonely. Sounds like he just wants to play or get some sort of attention.

He also might have some sort of seperation anxiety when your wife leaves for work.

To me he just sounds playful, just like a kitty.

Good luck though, it sounds like you are pretty annoyed with the behavior. I hope it all works out and your kitty can play without attacking you.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:49 AM

Keritsubo is right when she says that most males don't really mind a new housemate, especially when it's a kitten. And it's even more in your favour that they would get along since your cat is still relatively young and is still playful.

I think he would love to have a new playmate of his own species.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 03:12 AM
Part of the Pack

That is exactly what I did with my cat. He was the type of cat that you couldn't wear shorts around and now he isn't. While he still has his moments where he snaps he's not as spoiled anymore. It use to be that when I walked through the door he would want me to carry him...he no longer does that. He runs more which is good for him because he's not the smallest cat and he has a playmate.
It's better to get a cat who is different sex as yours and that is also a kitten or younger cat as it will be easier for your cat to establish dominance. Although my kitties did not get along the first 2 months...they are pretty good now. It was really frustrating but that was only because my cat had never been around his own kind and didnt know how to act. I was lucky to acquire a female who was really laid back and use to other cats.
Good luck

My babies...

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

My cat does that from time to time, although so begs to be loved if we are eating or its past her normal feeding time she gets like that lol my guy says shes annoyed with me and letting me know lol...she also walks by me and will bite my ankle or toes, and for her its her way of starting a play fest lol....but she does bite Ken without wanting to play, he says shes spoiled lol whatever it is out of all he quirks I will take the biting lol

Tags
food dishes, male cat