Is this normal? Kitty playing with slow visual reactions. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Is this normal? Kitty playing with slow visual reactions.

I've been babysitting my cousin's cat and have been playing with him. But I feel like some of its behavior is very weird and I don't know if its normal. The toys I used to play with him are wool knit mouse and one of those feather on a stick things. Usually when the cat plays with the mouse it seems kinda high even though the mouse toy clearly stated there was no catnip. The only way I can explain how the cat looks is his eyes get really wide, fast sudden head movements, and he looks around a lot like hes paranoid but his eyes never focus on anything. I thought this was okay cause I thought he's just probably really excited or something.

But then I noticed something when he started playing with the feather on a stick. When I slide the toy back and forth really fast, I notice that the cat's eye kinda loses sight of the toy. Lets say I moved the toy from left to right really fast. The cat's eyes and head would follow and move to right but it never follows the toy completely through. Like sometimes the cats eyes follow and end up staring above the toy, or follows half way and ends there. The toy usually only moves around 2 feet. Its not cause the cat isn't interested cause I know it still wants to play. When I move the toy back and forth slowly, like a relaxed tail wave speed, the cat follows the toy completely. But any faster than that, it ends up staring into space like it couldnt find the toy.

So has anyone else's cat done this? Do you think its some type of vision problem or is it overstimulated? The cat's eyes are huge and wide the whole time, just like he was playing with the mouse. Right after playing, I was worried about his vision but then apparently he saw an insect and ran, caught it and ate it in 1 second. o.o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

how old is it? He kind of sounds overwelmed and you shouldn't play with it so fast it can't find the toy.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The cat is about 4-5 years old, so its not a young kitten or an old cat. I never owned cats but I have taken care of my cousins cats quite often, though never playing with the feather toy. I also watch a lot of cat videos online and the speed I'm playing seems to be normal to me. I've seen people move the feather toy back and forth a lot really fast, but I'm not doing that I move the feather toy ONCE and only my wrist moves. Maybe I should just stick to object toys which I throw, but the cat is always asking the feather toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've seen a cat that somewhat moves or play very slowly. She was soon diagnosed with weak eye-sight.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
cat, play, vision