Is this normal with my cat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Is this normal with my cat?

A few months ago, i've noticed that my eight year old cat had a wart on her lower back. i didn't think anything because it never hurt her when i touched it and it was just very small.

Today, it's a little bigger and she has another small wart new her shoulder. still does not hurt her when i touch them. is this normal? should i be worrying?

she's definitely not a slim cat. she's a chubby one she's never been sick or seemed unhealthy. she's a very happy cat. but i just don't know why she has these little warts on her back.

Brianna Beach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Often, certain ingredients in cat food can lead to allergic reactions. Cats can't be fed on the same kind of food or else they will develop an allergy to it - they evolved to purposely thrive on different meat sources - so they can't be fed the same canned food or dry food day after day. Chicken, as most dry foods are comprised of it is an allergic ingredient, grains, as cats were designed to eat grains, and corn cause most of the allergic reactions seen in cats.

We have a cat who would bite at her skin to the point of making it bleed. She never let it heal, because her skin was so itchy. When we changed her food(we feed her and my other cat on Wysong's Au Jus all-meat diets(they get Duck some days, Chicken other days, and...well, none of the cats we've tried on rabbit like it, so it's pretty much just chicken, turkey, and duck) with a minimal amount of Healthwise dry cat food mixed in), she's stopped biting and itching at herself, and all her scabs are healed over.

If she's overweight, chances are she's probably got skin allergies to the food. Does the food you feed her contain grains, or corn, or anything of that nature?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Hello Earthling

I would suggest a vet visit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She eats Royal Canin Indoor Light. there is some corn and wheat in it. i give her wet food as a treat. when i get home from work at night, i give her a spoon of wet food.. either Evo Duck, Wellness Chicken, or Wellness Turkey. These wet foods are high quality.

I was going to switch her to wheat free dry food like Evo, Wellness, or Origin. but she seemed to like her Light food. but if her treat is high quality, her dry food should be too.

I work at Best West Pet Foods and i work tonight. I'm going to get her some new food. a wheat or grain free one. i should have done this in the first place.

Brianna Beach
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Actually, canned food should make up the bulk of the diet. Dry food isn't good for cats - it doesn't contain enough moisture - and when they eat the kibble it cracks, and pieces get stuck in their teeth and along their gums. Cats were never designed to eat kibble, and don't buy into the "it cleans their teeth!" Because it doesn't. Cats don't chew their food to mush like we do - like dogs, cats were designed to rip into meat, chew it a few times, and then swallow it in chunks. When they attempt to do this with kibble it either cracks and sticks to their teeth and gums, or, they swallow some pieces whole - which completely nullifies the bullsh*t lines pet food companies feed consumers that it "cleans" their teeth. The only way to clean a cat or dog's teeth is to let them gnaw on raw bones, they scrape their teeth against the bone, and that is what cleans off tarter and plaque - that's not what kibble does.

Here's a good link on why dry food is bad:

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html

NO animals can digest corn. ...Have you ever visited the toilet after eating corn? ...Lol... yeeah....

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 01-25-2010 at 02:02 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i know all this is true but my cat won't eat meat.. and she doesn't always finish her wet food. kibble is the only thing she'll eat. but when i go to work this evening, i'm getting her some new food. food that has ingredients that a meat eater is supposed to eat.

Brianna Beach
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That's probably because cats will associate comfort with food they were being fed as kittens. For example, if you fed your kitten dry food, she will become bonded with dry food and be difficult to transition to canned. If you fed your kitten canned, it will be difficult to transition her to kibble.

I can't believe that a cat won't eat meat, it isn't in their nature - it's either because the owner isn't practicing enough patience, or the cat simply doesn't like the canned food. Wellness canned foods contain carrageenan - carrageenan can give cats, and dogs, diarrhea - though some cats, like one of my cats, is particularly more sensitive than my others. Though it's "natural" it's really not an ingredient that should be in canned foods. Wellness is one of the most highest ranking brands that have given a majority of cats diarrhea, no one's really sure why, the best anyone can figure is the amount of carrageenan they use is higher than anyone else's.

Brands that don't use carrageenan in their canned foods are Nature's Variety, Wysong, Instinctive Choice, and Organix. My cats didn't like Organix, they were completely turned off to it, so I didn't feed it for too long. I haven't tried Nature's Variety. Instinctive Choice I'd like to try, but it's only available online, you get 24 cans for the price of $24 dollars, not including shipping. But the bad thing about Instinctive Choice is it only comes in one flavor, and cats NEED variety or else they will build an allergy to the protein source in the food. My cats love Wysong Au Jus- but it needs to be supplemented because it contains no vitamins and minerals and you cannot depend on the meat sources alone to supply the necessary vitamins and minerals because all canned meats require cooking, which neutralizes all the proper vitamins and minerals. I supplement it with Healthwise dry cat food so they get the necessary vitamins and minerals, but I will soon be supplementing it with Wysong's Anergen canned food, as my one cat is selectively feeding off the kibble, and that needs to stop because kibble doesn't contain enough moisture for a cat to thrive on.

If kibble is indeed the only thing she will eat, because there are some cats like that, I do have a suggestion. You can moisten the kibble with some water(preferably filtered), moistening kibble isn't an issue if it doesn't contain grains. That way she will get much more moisture then she would be eating it by itself, and even more moisture from the supplemental canned.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

she does eat the canned food and she comes running when she hears the can open. she does eat some of it but doesn't finish. even when i just give a spoon of it. she's been on dry food her whole life. just the middle of last year, i've tried wet food on her.

I just got home from work. i got her Wellness healthy weight. the ingredients is really good. there's no by-product, wheat, corn, or soy. and i talked to my manager today and she said too much canned food is no good for cats. it can rot their teeth. that's why i only give wet food to my cat as a treat. and i told her about my cat's wart.. she said that some older cats get this. also fatty cells.. which is what she had two months ago.

my cat lives at my parents house but she comes to visit me once a month for about two weeks i think she eats better when she's with me. at my parents house, there's four cats. and they all eat each others food. it's very difficult for them to have a separate food. the other cats go after my cat's light food. and she probably eats their food too.

she's an over weight cat but still active. her coat is shiny and soft and she does not shed alot at all. her bathroom breaks are normal. she's a very healthy cat. i don't know why she has a wart on her back. maybe it is just common is some older cats. who knows. but i'm going to try this new food with her. see what she thinks.

Brianna Beach
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Dry food and canned food can both rot teeth - which is why it's a good idea to provide raw bones so cats can scrape their teeth against the bone and clean off tarter and plaque. But if you pick your canned food right, any teeth rotting takes a LOT less short of a time then it will with dry. Kibble will rot their teeth out quicker than sh*t can fly.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i have a picture of my cat on my page. she's Smokey =)

Brianna Beach
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

She looks like my fiance's cat, Poppy, only she's missing the white uh....whisker pouches that Poppy has. And...she's twice the size of Poppy.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

awe=)

Brianna Beach
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

She's an awesome cat - if any of the other cats hisses at either me, or my fiance, she'll attack them because they disrespected us. Cats can hiss at her, she doesn't care, but god forbid they hiss at her humans..
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

awe! that's sweet! my cat likes to meow in my face early in the morning.. she's my alarm clock lol. if that doesn't work, she scratches at my closet/mirror.. which is so annoying!

Brianna Beach
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Betta Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Often, certain ingredients in cat food can lead to allergic reactions. Cats can't be fed on the same kind of food or else they will develop an allergy to it - they evolved to purposely thrive on different meat sources - so they can't be fed the same canned food or dry food day after day. Chicken, as most dry foods are comprised of it is an allergic ingredient, grains, as cats were designed to eat grains, and corn cause most of the allergic reactions seen in cats.

If she's overweight, chances are she's probably got skin allergies to the food. Does the food you feed her contain grains, or corn, or anything of that nature?
Hmm, you learn someting new everyday eh? I was thinking it was harmful of mom to be buying different flavors each time she bought food. And I buy one flavor of cat food b/c it's Mama's favorite. The thing with wet food in my house is that Coco will want some and I dont want to disturb his tracts b/c he gets such nasty gas after consuming wet food!

Tags
cat