Not Eating, Possible Pancreatitis? Need help.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Not Eating, Possible Pancreatitis? Need help..

Hey guys, I know Iíve been a bit MIA lately.. letís just say things have been hectic. I need to know if anyone has any experience with this condition in their cats. Gabby, my brotherís cat we rescued 4 years ago, is very sick right now and they donít really know whatís wrong. (Sheís about 4 1/2 years old)

This all started about a week ago last Friday. My dad noticed Gabby hadnít really eaten her food for a couple days that weekend. I said she was maybe a little stressed with all the chaos going on, keep an eye on it but we thought she was ok. Then, on Wednesday, my dad said she really wasnít eating a thing at all (he was filling her food bowls a certain way and nothing was touched) and she seemed like she wasnít feeling well, lethargic and she didnít want to play with the laser light (her favorite) and she had peed on the carpet a couple times. (not like her). My brother went home to West Palm that day from being up here in Orlando, and said right away something was wrong. He called me and said she wouldnít touch her food and coughed up bile a few times on the floor. I was doing reading thinking could she have swallowed something? Something in her mouth that hurts? We all decided they should take her to the ER vet. So, they did that and they gave her fluids and her vitals were fine and that was about all they could do at that moment without doing blood work. So, the next day they took her to our regular vet. He ran a full CBC and full body X-ray on her, which showed nothing. Everything was completely normal. He didnít know what to make of it. She was given medications and more fluids and they took her home that night (Thurs) He said to see how she did that night with eating and to recheck the next morning. The next step was an invasive test called a Barium Swallow test, (I think to check for any foreign objects) and after that, surgery.

Well she didnít do any better and they went back Friday and the vet decided to just do emergency exploratory surgery. He didnít think she could even handle that swallow test and get the contrast through her system to see anything. The surgery went fine, again, everything was normal. He said there was a little blockage in her large intestine, but nothing she couldnít have passed normally. He looked at all her organs and everything was fine. He was then concerned about a possibility of her having pancreatitis. It was a tad puffy but the color and overall appearance was ok. He sent off the blood culture for the test but it takes a few days. But for now she is being treated with the medications she would have if she had it. (Getting intravenous fluids, anti-inflammatories, antibiotics after the surgery and a medicine to settle her stomach)

Saturday, they visited Gabby at the vets and she was excited to see them. The Dr. was going to offer her food that night and see how it went. He went in this morning (Sunday) and she didnít touch her food at all and coughed up bile a couple times (that was the first time in 48 hrs though since the surgery). He said it was as if she was repulsed by her food, she even covered it with her blanket. He said she wasnít depressed at all, she was happy to see him, greeted him at the cage and was rolling over, but when he tried to get her to eat she growled as if to say No Way and she also is doing this thing when food is in front of her, she sticks out her tongue. He is completely baffled as to why she wonít eat, this is now almost day 9 she has gone without eating any food at all, besides what she gets in her IV. Especially since heís already treating this as pancreatitis, why isnít she starting to eat? He said the next step if she doesnít eat by tomorrow is a tube through the back of her nose down her throat or a feeding tube. This breaks my heart. He said this comes on very sudden and they really donít know what causes it. He said most cases they get better with the medication and treatment and it could be a one time occurance. Also, sheís had no fever, either.

Does anyone have any more input for me? Any other ideas or thoughts? Or if your cat has had this condition? Any ideas on how to get her to eat? I said maybe that my brother should bring in her regular food and bowl. My mom said maybe she doesnít like the food at the vets? She is a finicky eater actually, while my cats go crazy for canned food, she kind of takes a bite and walks away. Sheís perfectly fine with her Wellness dry food and her treats. Also, I thought she might be more inclined to eat if they were there with her, ya know?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I hope this post made sense at almost 5 am! Please keep Gabby in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Sorry Jackie I have no advice, but I hope they figure out whats wrong with her and I hope she turns around real soon!!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 11:18 AM

I don't know about cats with pancreantitis as my cats never had any problems but my mom's yorkie had chronic pancreantitis. She was put on a special diet and couldn't really eat anything that wasn't on the list they gave her. I am sure it is the same with cats. The medicines although they help she never really wanted to eat all that much. Also the cat may get depressed not being home etc so she may not eat well at the vets. I know my animals don't eat there no matter what... they like to eat at home lol.. spoiled brats. I hope they figure out what is wrong with the kitty and that she starts getting better and eating soon.

~Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thanks Mel! I just hope we know what's wrong soon, too.

Thanks Jenn, that's what I was thinking, too. She might be more apt to eat at home, especially since she is a finicky to begin with. Also probably not eating combined with the fact she had the major surgery ontop of already not feeling well, too, I think.

The update we have today is hopefully a little positive.. she picked a little at the food bowl, although not alot, it shows she went to the bowl and maybe was thinking about eating. The Dr. also said she was more playful today. They are going in to talk to him and visit with Gabby at 5:45, they couldn't go earlier because he was booked with surgeries, but they are bringing her regular food and her bowl to see if they can make some headway. I don't know what day the test results come back but if this isn't it, we have no idea what on earth this could be.

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:14 PM

I've never dealt with anything like that. Anything that I would have thought it might be was pretty much ruled out by all the tests being done. The only other thing I may wonder about is a brain tumor affecting her sense of smell and/or causing her to be nauseous but I would think there would be other symptoms along with that.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 11:40 PM
can't think of one, help

can you tempt her with some tuna fish, I have a kitty who loves it so much its hard to make myself a tunafish sandwich
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:40 AM

I am hoping the visit went well and she is doing better. Keep us updated.

~Jenn
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 AM

I'm sorry about your kitty. When my girl was sick (presumably FIP, but we never really knew what) she'd do the same thing with her food. For a while they tried a drug that boosted appetite, you may ask about that...I'm sorry, I don't remember the name. Willow went downhill so quickly it wasn't worth pursuing anymore, but it did work. We just gave her a pill, and it made her want to eat. I realize it's a bit of an artificial fix, but perhaps it could get her back in the habit of eating?? I don't know...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 07:49 PM

Oh that is so sad. The poor baby. My cat Tigger has been vomiting sporadically and not having much of an appetite. I also I had to take her for blood tests, urinalysis and x-rays. The vet told me nothing was wrong and if she kept vomiting, they would have to do a biopsy on her stomach. She is 10 1/2 yrs old, I really won't allow that, it's soooo invasive. I am giving her 1/4 Pepcid in the a.m. and p.m. Also, started giving her the Nutri-Cal to stimulate her appetite. She is starting to eat a little more and hasn't vomited since the 20th. I usually hand feed my cats that are sick as I won't allow them to go downhill. However, with Tigger, since she was vomiting, I had to let nature take its course. If I were you, I would give her the Nutri-Cal or whatever vitamin the vet suggests to see if her appetite improves. I pray she will be on her way to recovery very soon.

Tags
canned food, dry food, food bowl, food bowls, regular vet