Not Getting Any Sleep. Please Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Angry Not Getting Any Sleep. Please Help!

Hello. My problem is that my 6 month old cat is keeping me and my son up all night. He has always been very talkative all day and all night he meows for no reason. He has food, water, toys, and lots of attention. Yet still he always seems to be meowing and howling. Last night he woke me and my 2 year old son up about every 20 minutes! He'll sit in the hallway and meow very loudly and if that doesn't work he will paw at and bite me or my son until we wake up. I've tried squirting him with water, yelling at him ( I regret having to yell but when he's waking me up every 20 minutes eventually it's hard to control the anger), and keeping him up all day. I bought him toys to play with and I keep him awake when I'm home. When I'm not home he probably sleeps though. I can't shut him in another room because the only other room in my apartment is the bathroom which is right next to my son's bedroom so if the cat meows he will wake him up still. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want to give him away because he's part of the family but I'm not getting enough sleep to function during the day. Please Help

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Hello Earthling

How long has this been going on?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Hello Earthling

If you go to the pet supply store or pet shop they might have a thing you plug into the wall and it releases a hormone or something that calms the cat, sorry I can't remember what its called.

Its worth a try.

Quote:
CONSTANTLY MAKING NOISE OR MEOWING Some cats, of course, are definitely "talkers" and are very vocal all the time! However, if your cat has been checked out by your vet and there are no medical problems, and he is really trying to get your attention with his constant meowing, it's time to start paying close attention and try to figure out what it is your cat is trying to tell you! He is possibly hungry; possibly lonely; his litter box is possibly not clean enough for his liking; there may be changes in your home or personal routine that are upsetting to him. Remember - your cat has feelings too, and you should try to look at things from HIS point of view - not yours.
http://www.hdw-inc.com/behaviorswhy.htm

Last edited by canadiancritter; 02-07-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 AM
RAT ADDICT

How old is he? Is he fixed?
Maybe have him neutered? Unaltered cats will meow and make alot of noise when they want to get out and mate.

My one cat was very vocal for awhile and keeping me up all night.I was in your situation...she had food,toys,her playmate (Berlin,my other cat)..everything.But she eventually stopped.

Could you set up a room to keep him in during the night? Or just lock him out of your bedroom in the night? I do not let my cats in my bedroom for two reasons,one is because the guinea pig cage is in there and the other because they keep me awake.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:50 AM
It's all for them

What's his name?

First of all, cats don't meow for "no reason". Cats talk, so if he's not meowing because he's sick, or lonely or neglected, he's just talking. Some cats are more vocal than others.

It's very common for cats to be talky in the middle of the night, but he will probably outgrow most of it. Reacting to it, in any way, only reinforces the behavior.

If he is not neutered, you need to have that done as soon as possible.

Have there been any changes in your household that could be causing stress? New person, one less person, new furniture, new neighbor cat outside?

How long has he been with you?

Get some feliway plug in diffusers, they will help reduce stress.

If this is new behavior, and there isn't anything new happening in your household I recommend a trip to the vet to rule out illness.

Be sure to PLAY with him every day. All the toys in the world won't make any difference if you don't give him Interactive Play.

Play with him at the same time every evening. Play vigourous active Games that have him running and jumping, to burn off some energy. (I can give you Game suggestions if needed)

If you play Games with him every night at the same time, he soon will come to expect and look forward to this special Bonding time with you, and it will go a long way toward making him feel secure and settled...and sleeping through the night

This, also, is good for your son as he grows, to learn how to care for and play with cats.

Cats, contrary to popular belief, are social animals, and require interaction and attention with their humans on a daily basis.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

Laser play is great! My cats LOVE going after the little red dot of a laser light.It also tuckers them out.You could try that too.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Laser play is great! My cats LOVE going after the little red dot of a laser light.It also tuckers them out.You could try that too.

My cat also loves this! You just have to make sure you don't shine it in their eyes by mistake and don't run it into walls they'll try and jump for it and run into the wall.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
My cat also loves this! You just have to make sure you don't shine it in their eyes by mistake and don't run it into walls they'll try and jump for it and run into the wall.
My cats are actually smart,especially Berlin.If I shine it up towards a wall,they do not jump after it.They will sit there watching it and meowing until it comes back down.I do know cats that go nuts for it (including my sister's cat) who will run into walls or jump really high after it.It depends on the cat.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. He is 6 months old and not yet nuetered but I am planning on getting him nuetered at the end of this month. I have had him since he was 7 weeks old and he has always been a talker. I have taken him to the vet and he's healthy and up to date on shots and yet he still meows all the time I do play with him every day but not at the exact same time everyday so I will try that. I don't have a laser pointer but I will go out and get one as soon as possible. I have also been thinking about getting him a playmate to see if that makes him feel better. He came from a large litter as well as having a dog and 3 adult cats where he used to live. I am a stay at home mom so I'm pretty sure he isn't lonely and He's deffinately not neglected. I think he's just very talkative and I'm fine with it during the day but would like him to settle down at night. There are no new changes at all to our environment. Same people same furniture and he's an indoor cat so no new neighbor cats that he would know of. Thank you again for all of your suggestions.

Tags
cat, sleep