Nutty Cat? Or Scared Cat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy Nutty Cat? Or Scared Cat?

Hi Everyone - It's been ages since I last posted!
Anyways, I recently added a new addition to my furry family. I had two cats; Lucy (8 years) and Marla (2 years) and now recently we got Butters (3 years). We got Butters from my uncle, who was going to have him put to sleep. The story was this: My uncle got Butters from a woman who had gotten him from her daughter. Neither women had the cat for long, and David offered to take it, to have a friend for his cat. He had it for get weeks, and one day, after spraying it with water and trying to get it into the basement (I'm not sure what that was all about) the cat turned around and bit him on the hand. My uncle overreacted (in my opinion too quick) and called the doctor and then a vet in town. And they said the cat will have to be quarantined, and they would have to do a police report. So that all happened, and I happened to be the person who had to go to my uncle's house and get the cat, cos' he was scared to go near it again. The cat seemed fine to me. But we still had to take it to be quarantined either way. WHen we got to the vet, they said it was scheduled to be euthanized after quarantine, cos' it was agressive, and most places won't take cats that have bitten.
So after all that, I said we'd take the cat. (He got all his rabies shots and everything updated while in quarantine, so he's clear on that line.)
Now, I'm kind of leary, and not sure what to think. He's generally a good cat. We've only had him about two days now.I'm not sure if he is scared or what... but he acts kinda nutty sometimes. For instance, he mews quite often, but if I get too near him or if I overpet him and he doesn't like it, OR if the other cats get too near to him and hiss, he gets this really weird mew like he's going to flip out and attack if you don't back off. And that's what bothers me. I'm not sure what to think. I know it's very soon to judge, but I'm kind of worried about the safety of my other two cats. THey've taken him okay so far. (They're girls, and he's a boy) But they've all kept their boundaries from eachother.
The only other thing that bothers me besides his sort of bi-polar attitude, is that he is insistently climbing into cupboards,and onto cabinets and things, and I'm so not used to that. Is there a way I can curb this? For instance, I'm awake and posting this at 4am, because the silly thing keeps getting into cupboards nd knocking pots and pans around!!!
I know I need to give it time, but I'm worrying that my patience will wear thin. I refuse to take this cat to a shelter where it'll be put down.
Help!!! (I'm sorry for the long ramble!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 04:47 AM
Will It Ever Change?

lol if you dont want him in cupboards, childproof them with elastics and get him with a squirt bottle. if he spazzes at you then he has some hierarchy issues to get sorted out i'd think

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
then he has some hierarchy issues to get sorted out i'd think
Lol, I think you'd be right then.
I will def. childproof my cabinets. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Adolescent Pup

i have to agree with the hierarchy. you may want to nip this in the bud before it gets outta hand. You need to let him know who the Queen is. As how to do this, a water bottle i have to agree. Good luck.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Part of the Pack

Sit with Butters for awhile in a locked room. Pet him. Let him wander around and watch what he does. Let him know that you care about him and that it is just you and him. Tell him what you are thinking about him in a nice voice.
I have done that before with aggressive cats and noticed changes in behavior. It isn't always overnight, but if you can do it for 30 minutes every other day, Butters might act nicer out of it.

Having the water bottle will help, too, but make sure Butters knows he is cared for.

Pets are always your friend no matter what.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

maybe all the cats i've known have been nutty, because if you over pet ours or try and move them when they don't want to or invade their space they bite too.

my cat lucy will bite a lot but he's a pretty independent guy that only wants love when you wake up, or go to bed, or are sick ... how ever he does suck up and force himself to give lovin when his bowl is looking a little low to him

we just kinda let him do what ever and ignore him most of the time, you can come up and pet him when ever you want just don't think you are going to hold him until you want to put him down haha...

i guess yours is just trying to be boss and maybe he is really scared of the water for some reason and got defensive to your uncle- why did he spray him to get him to go down stairs why not pick him up and put him down there and close the door?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 PM
can't think of one, help

sounds to me like he's reacting to all the changes and insecurities in his life. He's very young to have gone through so much, and he's not sure what to expect, he's probably always on guard for the next blow to his security.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

Kramer will get aggressive if you try to pet him or move him sometimes, like he wants to be left alone so we leave him alone when he gets that way. its just his way of saying back off. I agree that you need to give him time after all he did move around quite alot and is a young guy so he probually feels like you will ship him off too.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
and maybe he is really scared of the water for some reason and got defensive to your uncle- why did he spray him to get him to go down stairs why not pick him up and put him down there and close the door?
\

My uncle is weird.. He said he was "scared" of the cat, so he didn't want to pick him up. Something like that. That is why my uncle shouldn't be allowed pets really. He's weird about them.
Yeah - I'm getting the drift that Butters I think just doesn't like to be held alot, because I was holding him today for a bit, and he was cuddling and purring, and then he just snapped, and lunged at my face. No scratching or nothing, I guarded myself in time, but it's just the idea that he does it without any warning.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks guys for all your helpful comments - It's made me realize that I really need to let him have his moments more or less... I'd be the same way probably if I'd been through what he has, as far as being moved around and whatnot!
Thank you again!!

Tags
aggressive cat, bipolar cat, meowing