oh my another pet - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Akasha

oh my another pet

ohhh dear. Well new on top of my 5 gliders,4 tarantulas, 3 birds, 1 lizard, i now have aquired a cat. See this is not a good thing because i am allergic to cats...my grandmas mother is in the hospital and is most likely not comming back out, so now i have her cat, oh and my friend is giving my a degus.....lol any pointers on the degus? He had 2 but one died so now he only had one and wants to get rid of it....lol so tell me every thing u know about degus...and some how over comming cat allergies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Not sure what to tell you on the Cat allergies, as I've never been allergic to any pets (Thank Goodness), as for the degus, they do much better in pairs or colonies. But depending on the age and sex of the one you are getting, may determine if you should get it a playmate. Degus are alot of fun, we currently have a mating pair, they love to worble at eachother, Taking care of degus is fairly simple really, for food I use Mazuri 50/50 chin/guinea pellets, used to use 25/75 but switched Plenty of Timothy hay with alfalfa blocks (although my don't care for the blocks much) so I put in a timothy/alfalfa hay mix as well, so they are still getting their alfalfa but more timothy Chew blocks is good to help get their teeth down, I also place a cuttle bone in their cage, they have their wheel and plenty of toys to climb on ect. Every other day they get a portion of veggies I usually mix them up so they don't get the same thing all the time, mine seem to like the green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, fresh green beans, carrots (moderate) broccoli, and cauliflower, and from time to time they get a piece of Sweet Potatoe (treat only) and un-salted sunflower seeds (treat only) and they also like mini shredded wheat(plain) I've also heard of using the organic pasta noodles too, but mine tend to be so picky, so I've yet to try it for a treat. They also get in very small portions once in blue moon a piece of banana chip (it is important NOT to give them much sugar) preferably no sugar is good, as Degus can easily get diabetes Also if I don't give mine fresh carrots, they also like dried carrot sticks (moderate only) I hope this helps ya a little, and I'm sure plenty more in the forum will have advice for you as well Good Luck and enjoy. Sorry I couldn't help with the cat allergy problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I was horribly allergic to cats and dogs most of my life and was never around them. Then I started working at a vet clinic. At first I just kept an antihistamine in my system and washed my hands after handling either, cats in particular. But now, as long as I don't touch my eyes, I am fine with no antihistamine. And I've only been there since about September. You can build a tolerance gradually.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Washing your hands is a big thing. Next is regular brushing of the cat. You might want to keep the cat out of your bedroom, so its fur isn't where you sleep. Running the sweeper more often may also help!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 01:59 PM

My sister in law has very bad allergies to cat and on top of it has asmtha. Her 2 cats live in the garage and have access to the outside. She does go out and play with them everyonce in a while and seems okay with the limited time with them. I would also recommend keeping the cat out of your bedroom. If you need a medicine you might ask your doctor about Flonase or Zyrtec - they are supposed to be helpful with allergic reactions to pets.

Your aquiring a nice little zoo there Akasha! lol Good Luck!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Akasha

lol well i have asthma as well, lol. And the cat has to stay with me and neuroticah in 1 bedroom we're going to stay in. The cat is litter trained so it doesn't go out side. lol and if it goes into the rest of the house my dog/ my cousins cat will probably eat it. alright so now that i've violated all of your suggestions lol. ok the poor degus, it lives with a friend of mine and he has a lot of partys so i have no idea what the poor thing has been fed in the past. Apparently it killed the other degus by not letting it near the food dish. It has few toys but a pretty big cage. it looks in rough shape but it does get dust baths. Lol it's funny cause my friend always says how mean it is and if he sticks his hand in it bites him, but if i do it won't bite me, it's not overly friendly but no bites. I'll update you guys on everything as it happens.

Tags
alfalfa hay, dust bath, dust baths, litter train, litter trained, romaine lettuce, shredded wheat, sunflower seeds, timothy hay, vet clinic