Oi, oi, oi ... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Unhappy Oi, oi, oi ...

Well, as some of you know I'm back in Louisiana to see my family. Of course, the drama is never ending here, so it's no surprise that the second day I'm here, I already have my own little drama unfolding.

Firstly, my Uncle Jr. HATES cats. Really, he DOES NOT like them at all! When I stayed with my Aunt Stacey (his wife) before I moved to Finland, I was raising Gerona and Galina at the time and of course had them there with me. Jr. didn't know about it at first because he was out-of-state on a welding job (he will work 2-3 months in another state and then come back home for 2-3 months). Well, when my Aunt Brenda let it slip that there were cats in his home, he just about had a stroke. So, of course after he found out, I had to leave ASAP before he came back so WWIII would not break out.

Anyway, some time ago (about a month or less, I believe) a little kitten showed up on their porch. The kitten was skin and bones from what I understand and I guess Stacey raised so much fuss about it that he allowed her to give it food on the porch. But the cat CANNOT come inside.

Said kitten is still there and they are calling him Booger. At first they thought he was a she, but I looked at him and he is NOT a girl. I would say he looks like he's around 4-5 months old.

The drama part comes into play when I see how skinny the poor fellow is and the fact he has some sores on him. Guys, it honestly breaks my heart to think about it. And no one there REALLY cares about him! When I came up on the porch, this cat immediately ran up to me and started purring. He let me pick him up and gave me kisses. It was the sweetest thing ever. It's like he was just begging to have SOMEONE love him. And then I noticed he had no food. When my brother, Christopher, came outside, I told him to go get Booger some food. Well, he started mouthing off to me that he had fed Booger already. I said, "Oh yeah? When?" Well, he said this morning, before he went to school (around 6:30 in the morning). Well, by then it was 7 o'clock in the evening! I gave him my evil eye (believe me, it's evil--truly puts fear into the heart! ) and he went and got Booger some food. That poor kitten scarfed that food down like he hadn't eaten in weeks.

After eating dinner there, I took a chance to look at what they were feeding Booger in the first place. Total crap, I have to say. Sorry for the language, but it truly is. Cheapest food on the market and first ingredient is CORN. I was so disgusted. So, might not have been the healthiest thing for Booger, but I took some unseasoned roast beef out there for him to eat along with some of the gravy (didn't have salt added yet because my grandfather can't have salt or other seasonings).

Jr. was complaining about him later on and I stated (half-jokingly at the time) that I should take him back to Finland with me. Of course, typical reply from Jr. was, "Well, go right on ahead." I didn't really mean it at that time, but after I started thinking about it ... and thinking about it ... and thinking some more ...

GOD I WANT THIS CAT TO COME BACK WITH ME SO HE CAN HAVE A LOVING, TENDER HOME FULL OF PEOPLE THAT WILL GIVE HIM THE AFFECTION AND THE LOVE HE DESERVES!

He is too sweet to be treated this way. And I know if he stays here, he probably won't live to see a year because my family lives by a busy highway, there are MANY dangerous creatures prowling about and I know they won't neuter Booger, so he will start wandering and getting into trouble when he gets older.

They won't even neuter their dog, a rat terrier with a retained testicle that REALLY needs that thing taken out.

Of course, when I mentioned this to Sami, he got all huffy about how he doesn't want another cat. If I were near him, I'd kick him hard on the shin and say, "That's only HALF the pain Booger will be feeling when he's run over, starved or torn apart by some malicious creature!"

Maybe it's me, but I don't think 4 cats are "too many." Even though our house isn't that big, I have NEVER ONCE felt I had too many critters. And what is one more? The feeling of warmth and accomplishment because you know you saved a precious being from a life of pain and misery is worth is, IMO. I would even GREATLY post-pone my house remodelling if it meant getting Booger to Finland. I would eat cheap foods for months, not buy the higher quality beauty products or any at all and do EVERYTHING I could if it meant getting Booger to a place where he could be loved.

I sometimes wish I could turn my heart off, but it seems when I encounter animals, this isn't possible. I have a feeling I am setting myself up to be emotionally torn apart, though ...

I wish Louisiana would be a better place for pets and my family would have more heart when it comes to caring for them.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Rowan, I honestly think this.

Who cares what Sami thinks at this point in time. Maybe if he were to actually SEE this kitten, he'd change his mind. I say, take him back to Finland with you. Do what you need to do to make sure this kitten has a good life.

I've come home with animals before without Dan knowing (tee hee!). Yeah, he was upset at first, then he got over it.

Like you said, if you don't take him, who knows how long he'd have to live.

Karen

[

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Is there a possibility of finding Booger a safe loving home while you are in the states? i know it will be hard with the current conditions there but if you have at least tried then Sami might be happier with you bringing him home.
I'm not going to say just take him home cause I know what would happen if I did something like that. Alex and I have a rule that we have both agreed on, no more animals. If I bought home an animal in need he would be fine with it, but it would be a temporary home until we found the right home for said animal.
All in all you have to do what is right for you and Sami. If he has to deal with Henry pooing the whole time you're gone he might not accept a new cat into the house quite so easily but at least if you've done all you could to find him a home in the states and haven't had any luck Sami might feel better about it and accept him more.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i think you should definetely DO something. what about a loving, no-kill shelter if all else fails? it would be better than living on a highway eating crappy food and being underweight. then he could get a good home eventually. i wouldn't just bring one home if sami doesn't want it, but i would NOT leave it there at your family's house.

btw, is there any way that they will let you take the dog for surgery if you pay for it?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You should do what you think is best! Good luck with the kitten...

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Whichever choice you make will be the right one, I'm sure. Good luck with the little guy.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
btw, is there any way that they will let you take the dog for surgery if you pay for it?
I doubt it, Jane. And really, I don't have a way to get Rex (the dog) to a vet since I'm car-less here and my funds are a bit low (STILL have not received my last two KELA payments). Hearing them talk about it makes me so mad, though. "Well, he only has one, why ya wanna take that away from him, too?"

I don't know what to do, really. The area *I* live in has never been a shining example of a place that has 'animal rights' for animals. But, more pressingly, the shelters here are full to the gills so asking them to take Booger might not be possible.

Last night I bought Booger some cheap flea treatment. I plan on giving it to him today. I think when I get a little more money, I'll try and take him to at least have his first round of shots.

If I wanted to take him to Finland, I would have to make some sort of decision on it now. New Finnish laws require a microchip be put in when the rabies shot is administered. So, for him to get his rabies shot, if I wanted to take him, I'd have to chip him then.

I can try looking for him a new home. Might not be easy, though, since it seems the open, giving nature of many Louisianians in this area has dissipated because of the evacuees. (You should hear some of the awful things these people say ... Won't get into that here, though.)

Yesterday my grandmother started raving that 5 animals is too much, let alone 6. "You'll always be covered in hair!" Well, I could have just ONE dog and "always" be covered in hair! Kirby sheds enough to put any cat's shedding to shame. And, honestly, hair on my clothes does not bother me. Might not look pretty or professional, but I don't care. Of course, since it's SAMI'S dog (her attitude is one that is coming off as, "If it's Sami's pet, no problems. But yours are just trouble and a nuisance."), and Kirby is a dog, she doesn't complain about him. She just rants and raves about my cats like they're disease-carrying bags of fur.

I believe I'll keep working on Sami, though ... might have to play the Guilt card if push comes to shove, but we'll see. I plan on HOPEFULLY going to PetsMart or some place like that this weekend if I can and trying to find some sort of vitamin supplement for Booger. And, if I can afford it, some better food.

In the meantime, what would be some good things to bring to him and mix up his food that may help him get some weight on? I was thinking of mixing egg whites in maybe 1-2 times week. I would like to get some sort of meat for him, but meat here is VERY scarce so that may take some time.

Small note: Also, Henry didn't poo in the house yesterday, which is good. I told Sami to change the litterboxes, leave the nightlight on in the bathroom and make sure the bathroom door is WIDE open at all times, since Henry will not go there if it isn't. Sami said he's playing with Gerona a bit more, but is scared of him. Henry doesn't exactly like Sami since Sami has never done anything to win Henry's trust. I told him to go cut some leaves off my catnip in the yard and give that to the cats as a treat.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

sorry to hear about the kitten.
I hope you do take it home maybe you could find someone in finland to have him if you cant keep him

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

That truly sucks Rowan. Whatever decision you make, we'll be thinking of you both.

I am like Carmen, I would try to find a suitable home there first.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

sorry about Booger... I hope that everything works out in his favor, whichever "way" it might be.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Rowan, we just had someone dump off a skin-and-bones kitten at our house last week. He was so starved, skinny and weak that he could barely walk. My mom was giving him regular kitten food but also giving him a tablespoon of cottage cheese every day. It's been one week and I can barely see his hip bones now. He looks like a totally different kitten!

You may want to try some cottage cheese! If the kitten doesn't fatten up a bit with good food, he may need to be dewormed.

Rhonda

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'll be thinking about you both.

On the flea treatment ... if it's Hartz brand, I wouldn't recommend using it unless you have the capability to take him to the vet if he has a reaction. We see SO many reactions to that stuff, it's unreal. It can cause tremors, even seizures.

Stephanie

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Actually, Jade, it's Zodiac or something like that. I used Hartz a long time ago on Galina and it made her skin so dry and red that I never used any of their flea products ever again. I've been thinking, though, that maybe I can go on-line somewhere and get Frontline (or something similar) for cheap though and have it shipped here. (Didn't think of it at first because I've been living in Finland and had gotten used to not being able to have things shipped to me--sad, huh?) And if I bought the Frontline, I could use it on their dog, too. Oh ... there's even Capstar to think about--the pill that kills the fleas. I used it on Laddie (my yorkie) before when we had a REALLY bad flea infestation one year and it worked GREAT. No side effects or anything. Same for my girls.

Rhonda, I'll try that cottage cheese idea! Thanks!

My grandfather said this morning, "You tryin' to take Jr.'s cat from him?" I replied, "Jr. hates cats and you know that."

Then my grandfather had to pipe up and say, "Well, he hasn't shot it yet, so he must be wantin' to keep it around to kill rats."

Lord, give me the strength ...

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

Take that kitty and run

To you, it's a pet.
To me, it's an adopted child,
who is short, hairy,
walks on all fours and has a speech impediment.

Pomeranian (Sadie)
Papillion/Pomeranian (Pepper)
Collie/Wolf (Lobo)

Bangal/Tabby(Cricket)
Corn Snake (Ruby)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Isn't it awful when you want to help and sometimes there's not much you can do. Whatever the outcome, at least you are trying to help this kitty, good luck.

Tags
kitten food, rat terrier