ok Cat food experts... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

ok Cat food experts...

As most of you know... when the MIL left I "inherited" her cats.
She was feeding "Kitten Kaboodle" which for some people may be okay. But I was noticing that Charlie's coat was starting to get really dry & brittle and I decided a lot of it very well could be his diet. Therefore I started looking at the ingredients and EWW!! so I switched foods... I am now feeding "Sensible Choice" which is 100% natural! no bi-products or corn ingredients!

I was wondering if you guys would check it out & tell me what you think: http://www.sensiblechoice.com/SCHCCRA.HTM.

This food to my knowledge is available world wide as well not just in the US... the companies web address is: www.royalcanin.com. (add .us instead of .com for the US address.)

I personally have found this food is making a HUGE differemce & he LOVES it! (now I am wondering if I can feed this to my ferrets as well!)

Last edited by fstybrat; 02-21-2004 at 01:04 PM. Reason: I realized it said cat "foot" experts... lol I really was referring to "FOOD"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Kay! When I got the email notification of the New Post/Thread in my email it said:
fstybrat has just posted in the Cats forum of Paw-Talk Pet Forum under the title of ok Cat foot experts....
I giggled - because we all know I am warped ...

Royal Canin has a really good reputation as far as I know.
The difference that a good high quality diet makes is amazing though, isn't it? Wow, I'm so glad to hear that Charlie is doing so well on it.
It's a good satisfying feeling when we see our pets overall health change for the better!

P.S. I'm glad his cat foot is ok

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Newborn Pup

*laughs with Deja*

While we're on the subject of cat food, 2 of my 3 cats have vomited on their current diet. We were feeding Friskies Chef's Blend dry food with occasional wet food, but we suspect the Chef's Blend because what comes up is partially digested dry food bits. (And it's a pain to clean it off our shag carpeting. Eww.) I'm definitely gonna give something else a try, perhaps that "Sensible Choice" stuff which sounds so good. Which brand does everyone else use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 07:59 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

I am just switching Max from Innova to Felidae.

If your cats are having problems with digestion, I would suggest a food without corn, ambiguous ingredients (ie. meat and bone meal), or by-products. Another thing to look out for is preservatives. BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin can be dangerous.

If you are looking for a mid-range food, Nutro is a good choice. My cats were on the Complete Care line. It has poultry fat (instead of specifying the poultry, ie. chicken fat) and corn but is free of by-products and "unnatural" preservatives. Among the other foods in its price range, I feel it is the best. Science Diet still uses by-products and/or animal fat. Iams also uses by-products and a ton of corn. Not to mention, they are a Proctor and Gamble company...a company that continues to do animal testing. If price is not a concern, I would go with Innova, Wellness, Wysong, etc. My personal favorite is Felidae. There are a lot of high quality cat foods out there...this is just the tip of the iceberg (and the most readily available).

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 09:54 AM

There is a new food line out called Evolve, I just saw it in a store the other day. They have both Dog and Cat but I don't know much about it yet. Also, this is going to sound funny but Paul Newman has a new pet food in his organics line, Newman's Own Organics Pet Food http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/home/index.php There seems to be an increasing amount of super premium foods out there which is nice because I was only ever able to get Wellness or Innova and I do not like Innova at all (I should say my cat didn't like it at all!)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Miss New Booty

Ohhh awesome Kay! Glad he is loving that food! Cats can be kindof picky, right guys?! That sounds like a great food. I haven't heard of that food before, thanks Kay!

I started with Solid Gold and Cal. Natural at first, they wouldn't touch it!! Tried Innova, but I think Ginger was allergic to something in that food, it didn't agree with her well.
They liked Natural Balance alot, too.
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/catfood.html

They are now eating the Wellness chicken flavor.They love it!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Part of the Pack

Sunny and Loverboy will not eat anything but Meow Mix. I tried to get them to eat Scieince diet, and all of the different brands. They just walk off and leave it in their bowls.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

The golden child (Wellington) gets regular adult Eukanuba and Royal Canin. Both are dry food and I mix them together.

The other 2 tubba-rubbas (L'il & Lozie) get Eukanuba & Royal Canin the weight control versions. I also mix both together. They were on Science Diet light hairball control for a while but Lozie started getting dry skin & dandruff so I switched them to Eukanuba which I heard is really good.

(Ahhhh.. it's good to be back online.)

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 09:45 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

Dena, Evolve looks like a great food. It has human-grade ingredients and is comparable to other "premium" foods (in quotations because the AAFCO has not defined premium). Here are the ingredients to the Maintenance Dry Cat food.

Quote:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid, and rosemary extract), Tomato, Rice Bran, Menhaden Herring Meal, Egg Product, Dried Milk Powder, Flaxseed Meal, Peas, Yogurt, Brewers Yeast, Dried Kelp, Garlic, Farmers Cheese, Avocado Oil, Spinach, Beets, Parsley, Yucca Schidegera Extract, Cranberries, Blueberries, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Bifidobacterium Thermophilium Fermentation Product, Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Magnesium Oxide, Niacin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Copper Proteinate, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-activated Animal Sterol (a source of Vitamin D3), Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menedione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (a source of Vitamin K activity)
http://www.evolvepet.com

Candice

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

My guys are on Royal Canin & look great. We tried Evolve but, I didn't like it as much - still a good choice though.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 12:01 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Lizz, you didn't like Evolve...or the cats didn't? Could you explain why it was unliked?

Candice

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 12:06 PM

Thank you Candice for the info. I have been either too busy or too lazy from being busy to check it out.

I'm glad Lizz has at least tried it so we can get some personal experience feedback.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 12:12 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

No problem Dena.

Candice

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Something about the smell. Not that it wasn't fresh, just didn't seem right... Cats prefered the RC.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
calcium pantothenate, cat food, chicken meal, choline chloride, dry cat food, dry food, folic acid, high quality cat foods, pet food, pyridoxine hydrochloride, royal canin, wet food