Old cat has bump on his tail(advice) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Old cat has bump on his tail(advice)

I posted this not in another site and got no replys. My Old cat Murphy has a bump on his tail that is getting larger. I beleave it to be from a door accident long ago(ouch). Murphy has not been to the vet(dont shoot me) for a long time. The last time he was so upset he didnt eat for a week and lost alot of weight. Murphy is 19 now and the bump dosnt seem to be bothering him at all. I am torn over weather it is worth the rish of upsetting him. Am I wrong for not taking him to the vet? Please send me your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

He needs a check up. If it's getting larger that's a problem.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If the lumps growing then he should really see a vet, it might not be serious it might just need looking at and treating with drugs but it really needs to be checked out either way by a professional. I know going to the vet can be a stressful time for both you and your pet and its always hard but if it is in his best interest then he really needs to go

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

get kitty prozac! ask you vet for something to relax him like kitty prozac! They make it, lots of people use it on the forth of july to keep their pets from feaking about the fireworks.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Please use caution recommending medications, oreo. Prescribing sedatives to a 19 year old cat could cause serious problems without a full medical work-up, especially if the cat hasn't been seen in a long time.

I agree with Lixx and Amethyst, he should see a vet because it's growing. If it were the same as it's been for years, I wouldn't be as concerned. But because the size is increasing, it could be indicative of several things - cancer and an abscess among them. Good luck with him, I hope he does well.

Stephanie

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I too highly suggest you take him to the vet. Especially since it's growing....aside from the fact that if he hasn't been to the vet for a long time, he's most likely overdue for vaccines. I also agree with Jade about not giving him any sedatives without a full blood work up from the vet. At his age, you'll need to make sure his liver and kidneys could handle it. Just take him as soon as possible. This is not something you should just let go

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at