Oliver + worms?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Oliver + worms??

Since we took Oliver in he has been gaining weight and acting totally fine and playful. Fur is shiny and he's a social thing, eyes are clear as are his ears, nose, anus etc...
But when he jumps off the window sill in the bathroom he jumps on the toilet first (lids down) and then goes on. We have been noticing little specks of blood on the toilet as a result of his coming down. I checked his nails and paws for any injuries or split nails, I checked his nose (bc we once had an outdoor/indoor cat who sneezed blood) and everyhting on the outside seems great.

Then today I began to look into worms. He is kind of frequently laying down to lick and clean around his bum (which when I looked at it didn't have dried feces on it). His poop is a lighter color than I'm used to seeing in the cat's I've lived with but I cannot see any visible signs of worms.
Should I order diatomaceous earth food grade? I was looking into it and even if he doesn't have worms (which I'm thinking he does) then it would be a good colon cleanser and pro-active thing to give him.

If I order the diatomaceous earth, how do I feed a powder to a cat?!? He seems impossible to hold down.

He came from an outside/inside life from some bum who, although he had him neutered, obviously didn't have him de-wormed. Whatever he ate outside could have contributed to this now.

Anyway, could you give me thoughts and suggestions? I was going to have him to the vet early in the new year (with new student loan) for a general checkup. Holistic methods shouldn't hurt him until then

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Zoo Keeper

I would go ahead and take him to the vet Even with vet meds Emma needed two doses and its not overly expensive at all.

As for feeding powder thats actually fairly simple .. Mix it into a liquid and syringe feed it or you can try mixing it into tuna juice ... this is how we gave my boyfriends cat her meds.

But worms can actually get pretty serious ...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks for the response I will be getting back my Holistic Blend de-wormer Friday (which I had given to my sister for the Beagle rescue here along with all of Coco's other things.) I will break those capsules and see if they help Oliver for now. On the other hand, I will have a talk with the man when he comes to and discuss payment options for the vet (before we go away for christmas just to make sure)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My cousin's trick for powder is mixing it with salmon or sardines.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Oliver is a very odd one. He doesn't like raw "people"food. He only eats his wet and dry food!! He once ate a few chip crumbs and he nibbled on a small piece of salmon but wasted the rest. He ate a kernel of corn off the floor but other than that he plays with treats or walks away...
The vet's going to give me something tomorrow (I don't know if it's injection, paste, pill or liquid) and once that's gone I'll order the DE. Matt, since the cat is also his and he's paying half the vet bill, thinks we should take what the vet gives us for immediate relief to Oliver.. I agree with that