Oliver's eye is pink and irritated - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Oliver's eye is pink and irritated

Ollie's right eye has been a little pink over the past few days. Its not so much the eyeball, its more the inner eyelid (corners of the eye). The poor little guy has been squinting too. He acts fine other than that-no sneezing or anything. The eye isn't really watering either. I called the vet and they gave me the ok to use an ointment that they gave me when my rabbit's eye was irritated. I said I'd bring him in if it didn't improve in a day or two. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? Could it be an infection from getting poked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 04:48 PM

He may have scratched his eye on something... or he could have something like a hair in it...I would flush it with saline first to get out any foreign objects and use the cream as your vet directed. If you notice him pawing at it, you may need to make an E-collar or buy one at Petsmart to keep him from irritating it further. If it doesn't start looking better in a day or so, I would suggest taking him in to the vet. I hope it's nothing serious and the saline and eye cream helps get him cleared up. Good luck and keep us updated on how he's doing
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm really concerned about it. He isn't scratching at it but he's keeping it closed or squinting most of the time. The ointment hasn't helped, although I only applied it once. I want to take him to the vet but she's an hour away and I want to give it another day since it just started. I think it could be an allergy. I guess I'll see how he does tomorrow and then take him in if its not better. I read about herpes virus online. Anyone know about that? He was a stray so it worries me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Update-

He looks so much better today! I'm going to take him in if it starts to look irritated again.