Ollie is getting fat! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Ollie is getting fat!

Ok, so we all know that Ollie has always been a little on the chunky side...

but now he is really starting to get fat! I have noticed that he's been falling off things when he tries to jump (like when he tries to get to his favorite spot on the counter). And when I play fetch with him with his toy mousies, he gets tired quickly. He's always been kind of a clutz and his nick-name has always been "jiggly," but I really think he's starting to get way too fat. He's only a little over a year old and it surprises me how much weight he's gained since I got him in May. He must have tripled in size! Of course he used to be a stray and probably didn't get enough to eat then, and he was still growing when we got him.

Anyway, he has access to Innova dry food all day and I feed him a very small amount of Innova canned food in the morning. My other two kitties aren't overweight at all, so could it just be that its in Ollie's genes to be overweight? I'm starting to worry about him. I do notice that he eats more food than the other two. Should I get a light version of the food? If I do that, they will all have to go on that food though. What should I do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Miss New Booty

I have a similar problem with Smokie, he is always the first one eating the food. I think he is just a husky boy though, I wouldn't say he was overweight. He has alot of muscle. At his last weight, my vet said he was fine, around 12-13 pounds. Do you know how much he weighs? My vet said *he* tends to get concerned when they reach the 13+ mark, but some articles say 16+ is when they get concerned, so everyone has different thinkings. It's such a hard thing, because I'm sure all your cats eat together, right? Mine do, too. I don't know how to even seperate foods if I would have to do that!!! You and me both.
I would definately ask your vets opinion on it. A way they say to tell if a kitty is overweight, if you look at him from above, does his middle extend outward past his ribs a little? (I sure hope I am making sense here! ) I found a small link/article that shows you how to tell if they are overweight.

http://www.thecatsite.com/content/view/29/27/1/2/

Love that picture of Ollie!!!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kittygurl823; 10-02-2004 at 05:30 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks for the article Jackie! Lol, I definitely cannot count his ribs. I can barely even feel them. All I feel is fat. And yes, I can see his middle from the top. His belly sways when he walks and it hangs down pretty far.

Ollie has always had really loose feeling skin. Even when we first found him and he was underweight, he felt so soft and squishy. Its like he doesn't have much muscle tone at all. Tiger is a big boy, but he feels hard and he is all muscle. I can feel his ribs too under a thin layer of fat, so he is not overweight. Ollie is like jello! He's just a big fat jiggly boy! I really think that its his body type, combined with being an apartment kitty and laying around a lot. He's my youngest and most active kitty so I was surprised to see him gain so much. I'm not sure how much he weighs. I don't have a scale but I should get one soon. When I pick him up, it feels like he is at least 13lbs, maybe even 15 or more.

BTW, that pic was taken awhile ago. He is even fatter now! Next time we go to the vet I'll be sure to talk to her about it and see what she says. I'm sure she will say that he's overweight and want to put him on diet food.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Ok, well I felt his ribs now that he is laying down. I feel a little better now!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Ok, I think this thread is working now so those of you who wanted to help me with my jello kitty can now post!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:25 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Maybe you should try to measure out the food...you can buy one of those small measuring cups at the dollar store and use it every time. It helps to determine exactly how much your cat is getting so that you know how much to take away if need be. With canned food, the thing is that its less nutritious than dry food but contains more calories (at least this is what the vet said)..so you can also try cutting back on that and use more dry food..
With dry food...you can buy "lite" varieties..with less caloric content..so that your pet isn't getting as much fat in the diet..OH...and avoid treats during this time..they make a big difference belive it or not...

Good luck..I hope that helps

Last edited by pitbulliest; 10-06-2004 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks. I can't really measure out the food though because I have three cats and they all eat dry food out of the same bowl. I did get some samples of Innova Lite (I normally feed Innova regular) and they actually like the Lite better than the regular! So I'll be switching to that after the new bag I just bought is used up. I think I'll be cutting out the canned food for awhile too. He only gets a small amount in the morning, but he's gained a lot of weight since I started feeding him canned food.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 05:15 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Definately get them separate bowls...that'll give you more control over how much each of your cats eats.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

They all eat together in the kitchen and there's no way to separate them. I think they will be fine on the lite food.

Tags
canned food, dry food