One is the lonliest # - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Angry One is the lonliest #

When we were first getting Baby Girl, a lady said, you should always get them in 2's because they get so lonely with out a friend. I thought, "This lady is trying to sell us another cat." When we went to the Humane Society instead of getting a cat from the crazy lady, and when I asked there they said cats are more solitary then other pets. (But they also told me her sneezing was normal and definatly not an upper respitory infection and we found that was wrong the hard way so...)So we have had Baby Girl (or StinkButt) since June. She is actually the lonliest cat of all time.

I read an article (I thought here) about cats being lonely and depressed, how all they will do is lay around. Then I watched this program about teaching cats tricks(still working on sit), hiding treats in a ball- hiding the ball- and letting the cat hunt it(she got of this really quick), and about introducing cats that are older. The older the cat the harder it is to introduce another cat, but sometimes they will take to kittens.Through some internet searching I have discovered that cats like to have a friend. My cat is so lonelyshe greets me like a dog and yells at me for running out to get gas. She sits out side of my shower some mornings and meows unless I open the curtain so she can see me. I mean most days she is home alone for 2 hours, and on long days like 6-7 hours.

So ray and I agreed when we move in March/April we'd get her a friend. But as of now- I mean I can barely leave the apartment to go to my Mom's for dinner if Ray is at work because she makes you feel like the biggest jerk in the world. We just got her "setteled" from the crazy kitten period, but I think we are going to get her a friend soon in the next month or 2 because I cannot stand it. I play with her all the time, but as soon as you stop playing she plops down and looks at you like your a horrible monster for not running back and forth with the giant string.She has toy mice, toy balls, scratching post, beds, baskets, boxes all kinds of stuff but she just hates being alone. i don't want to wait until we move because
1. I cannot stand the sad eyes.
2. I don't want to wait too long and her reject her new "brother or sister."
3. Since we will have to get some new furniture when we move I'd rather a kitten destroy our bedspread or old nasty loveseat we have now.

All signs point to her getting a friend as a good thing, I have started reading about introducing cats. Ray kept saying No, No, No, but then we talked to a woman who has 5 cats and their reactions to each other when she got them and I think sooner is better then later. When Ray even slightly agrees I know it is in the bag. Sorry rambeling moment.

What do you all think? I figure this way the cats will be 6-8 months and God willing they can grow old together. Does anyone have any big reasons they think this line of action might be a bad idea? Does anyone think Baby Girl will reject,resent her new family member? Any feedback would be apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 01:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think it's a good idea. You'll have to be careful of jealousy, but she may just take to another kitty!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

That is what Ia m thinking too, as long as baby Girl still gets oodles of attention she will like the new baby. Really all I want is for her to be happier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:14 AM

We had two cats at one point and they took to each other well thankfully. She was a foster kitty so she did not stay though. They tend to bond to one another then.... which for you could be a good thing.

I think a friend would be nice for your kitty. My kitty has my dogs as companions and they all love each other.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Chrisanne. We want to get a dog enentually but that isn't for well over another year.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 12:16 PM
Desdemona

My kitty went from being fostered in a house with about 10 cats to being alone. He is the opposite, he loves the attention he gets being the only cat. I was worried though because he didnt really play, but his foster mom said that he used to play but you have to find JUST the right toy. Last night at the Dollar Tree i found this hamster toy that you pull a string and it shakes and I have never seen a cat so playful! My cat isn't as needy as yours seems to be though... so I think a new playmate would be perfect for you! Let me know how it turns out!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 06:19 PM

I do think Baby girl needs a friend. When I first moved in with hubby about 3 year ago he said I could have a kitten. Well she acted like she was only and needed someone else to play with besides me. Needless to say we needed up getting another kitten for her to play with.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

We are going to the Humane Society next monday!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 11:46 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Capn I think the sooner the better and try to get one around the same age.
I had a male cat for a year and he was fine alone.Then one day a little black cat came to the house.She was a stray and yes she was thin and pregnant.I started feeding her and Bear got real jealous so jealous that one day he started to attack me for having her scent on me.He hissed and squalled at me and I was just waiting for him to jump on me.He never did accept her and turned his back on me as well.He wanted nothing to do with anyone.Barry said he was the most ungrateful cat he had ever seen.He cried to go outside all the time.That is where he wanted to stay all time.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Monday is baby Cat Monday!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 03:31 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Yay!! Baby Girl is getting a brother or sister!!!

Hmm.......I have a nice little calico stray that's been hanging around. If you can't find what ya want at the humane society, want a nice little stray calico? We'd bring her in the house full time but my mom's Bengal cat goes absolutely nuts and tries to attack her. When she's outside the door and he can see her the fruitcake will actually smash his head into the door trying to get to her. Poor little Calico. I've been trying to find her a home before it gets too cold outside but I haven't found any takers yet.

Rhonda

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:10 PM

If it gets too cold you can make or get her a little covered enclosure and wrap one of those Snuggle discs in a blanket in there. You microwave them and they stay warm for up to 12 hours.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 12:38 AM

Capn, you'd better get lots of pics of the new addition quick, I can't wait to see who you get. I'm getting excited for you. lol
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Ray and I keep saying stuff like "you better not teach your brother or sister that" and he is trying to talk me out of work early on Sunday to go down but I cannot afford it!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 02:39 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Good idea, Capn, because cats really are best in pairs.

BUT I'll warn you now. There will be a lot of hissing at each other at first, most likely. You're gonna have a new cat moving in on Baby Girl's territory, and she isn't gonna be happy at first - or she isn't gonna let you know she's happy! It's funny, though, because you'll find them both sitting on different parts of the same chair, getting closer together all the time, then suddenly they are best friends. This period may take as long as two weeks, so don't give up.

My animals were so used to me bringing in something else all the time that they would look at it then at me as if to say "What now?" then go along their way.

I would get them near the same age so that the playfulness-level will be about the same - although all cats are different.

I'm down to one cat now and after his mourning period for the other cat he is pretty content. I have agreed to "no more".

Pictures when you get the kitty!!!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
black cat, humane society, male cat