Ouch!!! My finger!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Ouch!!! My finger!!!

A few days ago I noticed a cat in our neighbors backyard (no one lives there) anyways, yesterday when I got home from work so I walked up to the fence and just talked to her. Then she walks over to this shed in their backyard, and out pop these kittens!! And start to drink from her...it was so cute! It was like she was showing me she had babies! So cute...well then last night, like about 6 hrs after I saw her and her babies, I let the dogs out before I went to bed, and of course, Harlie has to bark at everything...I mean everything...the leaves, the tree....anything that moves...haha...she is a brat, well I go inside and I hear Harlie barking like crazy and I thought maybe someone was walking by or something, so I go out to check, and I see Harlie barking and pawing at this little white kitten that was in our backyard! It runs under the fence and just lays down in the grass, so I thought it might be hurt from her pawing it, so I jumped the fence, it didnt run, so I figured maybe it was hurt, so I picked it up and started to pet it, and it didnt seem to mind I was holding it, then when I started looking it over to make sure it was ok, it hissed at me (like it realized I had it in my hands then or something...) and then it bit my finger and held on!!! I was like "OWWWW!" it wouldnt let go!!! So I just pulled its mouth off my fingertip like the way you would take the dogs jaws to get it off a toy, it started scratching me like crazy and then lept out of my hands. Then it booked it back to the shed it has been staying in. Man I couldnt believe the grip on the little baby! It couldnt have been more than 8 weeks old! Ha ha...I guess thats the last time I try to help! I dont want to lose a finger next time! Ha ha...Well I think next time I let the dogs out, I will just check over the yard to make sure the babies havent wandered over again! Man what a nite! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:31 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Dang it! I hate when I hit clear insteada reply!

Thats a funny story Melissa!!

And I bet you were thinking just how you were going to ask Josh if you could keep it... ha ha ...just until it's *better*, right?
Well, until it put the kitten death chomp on your finger!

HA HA!

Oo! Oo! Do you have a cool band-aid?? I have some Elmo ones! What about Sponge Bob? (I don't like him, but doesn't Josh??)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Okay I don't mean to scare you but because these are feral cats, you REALLY should go get a rabies series ASAP. Especially with the way he was acting, laying there and then suddenly freaking. We've seen two cases of Rabies in stray cats in the past 6 months. Once symptoms show up, it's incurable and fatal but is 100% curable in humans before then. The only other option is to catch the kitten and have it euthanized and tested for Rabies, which I doubt you'd want to do.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:35 PM

Oh my goodness! Melissa, you better go get checked!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:42 PM

I would go get checked also. If those cats are in the shed of a empty house who is feeding them? It probably attacked you because it was so scared after the dog incident.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Eek, and make sure Harlie is up to date on his Rabies vaccines. You may want to call your vet and see if he/she feels a booster is warranted for him.

Stephanie

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Harlie had her rabies shot already, Should I think they have rabies?? I guessed it was just scared because it probably had never been handled by a human before. The mom cat was sort of by us, like in the same yard, but she wasnt like protecting them, she was just sort of watching me. I thought animals with rabies were like crazy and always trying to attack things. Is rabies in the kittens spit or something?? I feed the mom cat sometimes when I see her in the yard, but yesterday was the first day she showed me her kittens...wouldnt I feel sick if I had rabies? Ummm...my mom told me about those shots before and she was saying that you have to get like 50 shots in your stomach...is that true?? I dont want to get 50 shots in my stomach...(she told me this when I was about 12 or 13 and always bringing animals home...) Now your making me sorta worried...I dont feel sick. Should I?

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

That's when they show symptoms. There is an incubation period where it is still transmittable just before the animal shows obvious symptoms. It's in the saliva.

You won't feel sick for possibly weeks and by the time you do if you've contracted the virus, it's too late.

It's not 50 shots, it's five. And it's not in your stomach. Let me see if I can find you some more info.

Stephanie

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Postexposure prophylaxis
Postexposure prophylaxis (PEP) is indicated for persons possibly exposed to a rabid animal. Possible exposures include animal bites, or mucous membrane contamination with infectious tissue, such as saliva. {For more information on types of exposures, see Human Rabies Prevention - United States, 1999 Recommendations of the Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (ACIP).} PEP should begin as soon as possible after an exposure. There have been no vaccine failures in the United States (i.e. someone developed rabies) when PEP was given promptly and appropriately after an exposure.

Administration of rabies PEP is a medical urgency, not a medical emergency. Physicians should evaluate each possible exposure to rabies and as necessary consult with local or state public health officials regarding the need for rabies prophylaxis.

Postexposure prophylaxis regimen
In the United States, PEP consists of a regimen of one dose of immune globulin and five doses of rabies vaccine over a 28-day period. Rabies immune globulin and the first dose of rabies vaccine should be given as soon as possible after exposure. Additional doses of rabies vaccine should be given on days 3, 7, 14, and 28 after the first vaccination. Current vaccines are relatively painless and are given in your arm, like a flu or tetanus vaccine.

What to do after a possible exposure
If you are exposed to a potentially rabid animal, wash the wound thoroughly with soap and water, and seek medical attention immediately. A health care provider will care for the wound and will assess the risk for rabies exposure. The following information will help your health care provider assess your risk:

the geographic location of the incident
the type of animal that was involved
how the exposure occurred (provoked or unprovoked)
the vaccination status of animal
whether the animal can be safely captured and tested for rabies

Steps taken by the health care practitioner will depend on the circumstances of the bite. Your health care practitioner should consult state or local health departments, veterinarians, or animal control officers to make an informed assessment of the incident and to request assistance. The important factor is that you seek care promptly after you are bitten by any animal.
FAQ HERE

Stephanie

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

OK now that you guys got me all freaked out, I called our vet to see if they have a lot of rabies cases, and fortunatley my vet (Darla...and also a personal friend of ours) said that they havent had one the whole time she has worked there (about 20 yrs.) She said Harlie should be fine since she just had her rabies shot a few months ago, and for me she just said to watch it, and make sure to clean it every day with peroxide, because of something called Staph (sp.?) Infection that is more common...I am going to look it up, and figure out what it even is, and she also said that if I would have rabies, that symptoms would show up in 7-10 days, but she thinks its very unlikley, and then she said to call my doctor to see what he thinks...soooo....I am going to call my doctor and see what he thinks...hmm...I hate shots!!! Oh yeah she also said that if I was that worried about it that I could go and catch the kitten (with thick work gloves of course) and bring it in and she said she would test it for rabies...(does she have to kill it to do that...she didnt say if she did or didnt...I dont want it to die.... ) Anyways...hope I dont have rabies...or I will be

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You should call your doctor, yes.

On the symptoms ... we had a cat bitten 6 months prior turn out to be rabid. Incubation varies widely.

The only accurate way to test for rabies is to take a sample of the brain. There are supposed blood tests out there but they're not proven to be accurate.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabie...idemiology.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabie...s/diagnosi.htm

Quote:
What is rabies and how do people get it?
Rabies is an infectious viral disease that affects the nervous system of humans and other mammals. People get rabies from the bite of an animal with rabies (a rabid animal). Any wild mammal, like a raccoon, skunk, fox, coyote, or bat, can have rabies and transmit it to people. It is also possible, but quite rare, that people may get rabies if infectious material from a rabid animal, such as saliva, gets directly into their eyes, nose, mouth, or a wound.

Because rabies is a fatal disease, the goal of public health is, first, to prevent human exposure to rabies by education and, second, to prevent the disease by anti-rabies treatment if exposure occurs. Tens of thousands of people are successfully treated each year after being bitten by an animal that may have rabies. A few people die of rabies each year in the United States, usually because they do not recognize the risk of rabies from the bite of a wild animal and do not seek medical advice.

Stephanie

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 02:02 PM

Melissa, let us know what the doctor says.... (btw, I'm freaking out for you!)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Calling the doctor now.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Ok I called the doctor, and he said just to watch it for the next few days, and that if I had any fever, itching, swelling, redness, or frequent urination (??) that I should just go to the ER and get treated, because I guess they dont do rabies shots at the office...he didnt seem too worried either, but he just said to watch it. So I dont know...He has been my doctor ever since I was a kid...what do you think?

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Oh yeah and I took off the band aid...he said that I shouldnt wear one, because it will hold in moisture...and I guess I need to keep it dry...

Tags
animal control, animal control officer, feral cats, stray cats, wild animal