Outdoor to Indoor?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Question Outdoor to Indoor??

Ok, I hope someone can try and answer my question for me. I have a cat, that I have had for 12years. Last Sept. I moved out of my home to be on my own. My roommate will not allow cat's in his home. I was ok with that cause I rather my kitty stay at home where he has been so long, he is also a indoor-outdoor cat. Comes and goes as he pleases and always has. Well my step dad will be moving out of the house soon and letting some friends he knows move into the house. My cat is more then welcome to stay there, but I just don't want him around strange people and they also have kids. He is a 12year old cat and does not like children. My roommate said he would think about letting me take him home. Sorry for the long explaination-but my question is, can you turn and cat that has been indoor-outdoor for so long into just a indoor cat??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:59 PM

Absolutely. Well I should say in most circumstances. I have a cat that was picked up as a stray and was in a shelter. She has tried to dart out the front door a couple of times but I chase her right back in. They have windows they can watch out of if they want to see the outside. I have seen many cats come and go through the shelter (they are all outside feral cats) that are fine right in the shelter or have been adopted to indoor only families and have had no problems and I am talking about the big ole tom cats too. There have been cats that are just too feral and we can't adopt to anyone nevermind keep inside. These cats are fixed and adopted to barns or release into an existing colony.... I am straying from my point once again!

Since she is 12 and because it is wintertime it would probably be easier to acclimate her to the indoors. We have a feral at the shelter that belongs to a local colony and one day decided to show up and be friendly he now stays in our office because he doesn't want to go outside anymore and he is 10 years old.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

My cat Abby used to be an indoor/outdoor cat. She is now 10 years old and starting to show her age. She was injured badly not too long ago and I decided she was not going to be an outdoor cat anymore. I never wanted her to be an indoor/outdoor , but from the day I rescued her as a kitten it was impossible to keep her inside! So... she would go in and out at will, never straying far. The yard was her domain and she took long sun baths on the deck. We called her Lawn Tiger because she was a mouse and chipmunk hunter ugh I didn't like that one bit. I even had a break-away collar with a bell on her... Anyway...
Yes, it can be done! She will on occasion pine and whine at the door - but I remind her that she is an inside Princess now, like her 2 other kitty mates!
It took some time watching her and making sure that she didn't sneak out - but over the course of a month or two she really got the message and even with the door opened (bringing in groceries, people coming in and out) she doesn't try to run out anymore.
The cold winter is helping reinforce it too. It has been way too cold, and she has never liked snow... so between the cold and the snow on the ground Abby is doing very well as an indoor only cat.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yup, you can do it. I did it with my eldest, and he's adjusted just fine. Just double heck for them everytime you open/close the door though =)

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Our calico Hobo was a stray that starting hanging around the back door. With months of coaxing she finally would come in to eat, then when she was done she would jump crazily at the door trying to get back outside. She kept staying in longer and longer until one day she decided that being indoors full time was a good thing. Now she won't go anywhere near an open door.

I'm betting you will have an easier time than we did because your cat is already used to being indoors. It might take awhile for your cat to adjust to having children around. Hobo would hide when my nephew and niece were here, now she goes running over to them because she knows they'll pet her.

Rhonda

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:16 PM

Yup, it has been done and you can do it. Our cat Moose when I was growing up was our neighbor's son's cat who was mostly outdoors. Their son was in the military and when they moved to an apt that wouldn't permit pets they gave him to us since we've basically adopted him & he was spending more time at our place than theirs. We kept him as indoors/outdoors for the longest time. Then my parents moved to another house that was on a busy street and they had to make him into a full indoor cat. He wasn't happy at first, but he did settle down and get used to it. Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:40 AM

If a cat has plenty of room and windows to look out of then you should have no problem.... We recently took in a 2-3 year white male cat that has pretty much been living on the streets for his entire life, and let me tell you as long as King George has his throne (cat tree) and windows to look out of he is perfectly content.....

Tags
feral cats, indoor cat, male cat, outdoor cat