outdoors? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

outdoors?

I plan to let Mr. Jim Noodles outside to keep the lake rats away from the house. What is a good age to introduce a kitten to the outdoors? I am afraid that if I do... he will disappear. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I've never actually introduced a cat to the outdoors (I own one cat and he is indoor only) so I won't be much help but invest in a harness for him and introduce him to the outdoors with a harness on (they can pull the collars over their heads quite easily when a lead is attached so that's why the harness is better...but he should still have a collar with tags and a bell). You'll need to introduce him slowly but at least by having him in the harness he'll get used to his surroundings without having him run off.
I know there are people here that have/have had indoor/outdoor kitties and I'm sure they'll be more help!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Curmudgeon

This is not a really good idea for two reasons..

First:
Cats are not "nature's little pest control". They kill many other things, like birds, snakes, voles, lizards, frogs ...These are native animals that are essential to a good ecosystem. Most of these things are easier to kill than rats and mice, so THESE are what your cat will really be preying upon. Not what you intended...

Cats are non-native predators. Many native animals don't have very good defenses against this type of predator. They are an ecological problem all over the globe, but a very large one in the United States.

Second:
... if you really care your cat, you'll keep him as an indoor kitty only. There are many, many, MANY bad things outdoors that can kill and injure cats. There are cars, cruel children, cruel adults, diseases like feline leukemia, parasites (both external and internal), and other cats which will try and kill or maim your cat.

Talk to most vets or people who work in vet offices. Ask them how many injured cats they see. Ask if they are indoor or outdoor...

Ask what the lifespan is of an outdoor cat compared to an indoor cat.

Ask yourself why you wanted a cat? Is it because you want a pet?, ..or did you hope for a pest control device?

If you want a cat, you should get one, they are awesome pets ...I have one on my lap right now.

However, if you want something to kill pest animals, get some traps. They are much more humane ...both for the rat, and for the cat.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Wink

Before this turns into a debate thread about indoor/outdoor cats, there's already a thread for that HERE.

Rhonda

Tags
indoor cat, outdoor cat