Over weight cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Question Over weight cat

How do you know when a cat is over weight. Trinity is healthy, her coat is shiny and soft, she eats. but im starting to worry that she might be getting a little over weight. Is this bad? is there a way for me to prevent this in the future if its bad? I can feel her ribs when I pet her, and they dont feel fatty so i guess thats good but it says that theres supposed to be a little dip up in her tummy and i cant figure out if her legs or if she has alittle beer gut. I cant get pictures to show you because my camera is in Poulsbo but maybe on sunday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Adolescent Pup

Here's a article on feline obesity toward the bottom of the page is a chart that shows and explains cat weight from thin to obese.

Hope this helps

Diane~ owned by~ 7 cats, Chuckie, Spyder, Winnie, Stormy, Crystal and Francine
3 ferrets, Shoops, Rocky and Jazzy
and a hermit crab, Zoidburg
RIP Roo 1989-2005
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my cat is fat...lol shes just huge...shes 2 and 16 pounds, shes been on all kinds of diets lol but its just her I guess...

when we got her she was nearly all bones she was 8 weeks and weighed 4 pounds...so I guess I over nurtured her at that time lol, the vet is astounded everytime I bring her in

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I have what someone caledl a mini cat.. shes not big at all shes long. The person whos renting out our house was a vet tech for a while and he told me shes not fat shes perfect. Shes little big bone he he said she was dence. No idea what that means. So i think shes ok. Oh and she has a lot of exstra skin also dont know what that means.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

How old is Trinity? I've heard that extra skin means they're still growing...don't know how true that is though.

Chuckie is 18 pounds, I was sure he was overweight, but the vet said he's just a big kitty, not overweight.

Diane~ owned by~ 7 cats, Chuckie, Spyder, Winnie, Stormy, Crystal and Francine
3 ferrets, Shoops, Rocky and Jazzy
and a hermit crab, Zoidburg
RIP Roo 1989-2005
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

shes 11 months... 8 lbs at least maybe 9. my mom says shes the size of a new born baby

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Glowing New Mommy

oh please.. my cat is fat! hes 11 months old (a year next month on the 16th)... this kitten has to weigh at least 11 pounds... i dont know how he got so big! his sister probably weighs 6 pounds and she eats more than him
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

My cats have a bit of belly sag, but that occurred after they were spayed. Weight wise my vets have always said they were in perfect shape (and one even marveled at Gerona's strong muscles). And they still have a waist.

Of course, their bellies do jiggle when jiggled, but not when they walk.

I'm guessing some belly sag would be normal in spayed and neutered cats?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Newborn Pup

Get the vet to check the cats weight. An Overweight cat is not a good thing as it can cause all sorts of health problems and should be acted on. Most vets have good advice in reducing your cats weight.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

I personally would like to know what the whole basket belly thing is about... My kitty hasnt been fixed yet but she still has a slight amount of access skin that hangs from her tummy and jiggles when she walks ... I have a theory that it might be stretched skin from having worms when she was really young. When we got her she had them and with it the typical pot belly as an side effect of round worm but now they're gone but she looks... uhm.... jiggley.. I dont know, I just call it the basket belly. I had a male cat when I was younger who had the same thing and he also had worms as a kitten. I've considered it being the breed but my male kitty was a tux and cricket is part tabby, part tort calico... so yeah. I dont know.

To you, it's a pet.
To me, it's an adopted child,
who is short, hairy,
walks on all fours and has a speech impediment.

Pomeranian (Sadie)
Papillion/Pomeranian (Pepper)
Collie/Wolf (Lobo)

Bangal/Tabby(Cricket)
Corn Snake (Ruby)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

My boy Michael has Huges fat bags...well that's what we call them...He's between 3-5 (we got him from the humane society so were not sure his exact age) and there's these two "bags" that hang down practically to the floor...they really look like big giant man boobs or something. He is difiently over weight...but we only feed him once a day, and he's on the "weight control" formual food...the vet said we're doing all we can, besides purchasing a kitty tread mill...lol...I guess he just wants to be a fat cat.

But Ariel if the Vet says she's okay I wouldnt worry about it, maybe she's just a bigger cat..

~Misty~

Tags
humane society, male cat, vet tech