Overweight cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Overweight cat

HI everyone,
A couples of month ago I got a cat from the shelter. She is VERY lovely and get along really well with my 2 bunnies

She's kinda overweight, we bought her food for overweight cat. but What else can I DO? It seems like she made have had kitties before we got her.

She always has dried food available, she doesn't want to eat wet food.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'd phone the vets about, ask advice

An rud is fhaich a dheanamh, 's fhaich e a deanamh ceart!

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the **** alone.

It's great to get back to nature. But instead of taking off all you clothes and running down the high street, why not 'become' a fruit? To achieve this, put some weird floaty music on, lie down, relax and say to yourself, "I am an apple. I am an apple. I can feel the wind brush against me as I hang in the tree." In no time at all you'll find that the worries of the day will melt away, and your only concern will be whether you're about to be turned into a pie.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:57 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Sounds like a vet visit may be in order to be sure not only how overweight she is but that it's not caused by a medical problem. As diabetes, etc can develop. They will also be able to probably let you know if she's had a kittens or not. Has she been spayed? I know my little one really packed on the pounds after we had her spayed and I not only had to get weight control formula food but cut back on how much she ate. I further had to try to encourage alot more exercise out of her with play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:30 AM
Miss New Booty

Good advice above, I would maybe contact your vet and see what he/she reccomends. Do you have other kitties? I have 3 cats and my one cat Smokie is on the hefty side, my vet said he was borderline to need the weight control food, but I'm not sure how he would get that and not eat my other kitties regular food since they all eat together. Hmmm or maybe you could try feeding her at certain times, instead of leaving food out? So you know exactly how much she is eating. Some kitties overeat, too. I don't know what food you are feeding, but I know some foods might have fillers, etc in them that could cause weight gain, too. My bag says to feed about 1/4 cup, 2 times a day.
Keep us posted and that's awesome you adopted her! She sounds like a sweetheart!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow thanks for the advices

Yeah she's been spayed, i;ll make an appointment to the vet. We saw one a couples of months ago and said she was just obese

Thanks a lot everyone
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:55 PM

If she's just a little pudgy, I wouldn't worry about it. Cats and animals are like people--some of them are simply just a little overweight. But there is a point where it gets excessive.

Tags
vet visit, wet food