Panning for ... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Panning for ...

Poo.

This is one of the many techniques I have tried to use to get hubby to take SOME part in kitty box scooping.

I tell him, "It's like panning for gold, except this gold is only excepted by WC Pankki (Bathroom Bank) and your only reward is a clean fresh smell."

He didn't buy it.

I also tried NOT scooping, thinking this might *ahem* encourage him to do it himself. Nope. He just lit candles when he went into the bathroom and holds his nose.

Should I just admit defeat and accept that my hubby will never "pan for poo?" I should have married a gold miner--at least the instinct to pan for SOMETHING would be there!

On a more serious tone, do any of you have ANY methods you use to try and encourage your significant other to take part in the litter box duties? All suggetions are welcome! At this point, I'm even tempted to try a cattle prod!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Adolescent Pup

get pregant lol that was they only time mine did it lol

lori

wife to keith

mom to nicholas (8), andrew(6)

dogs kodiac, barker, gizmo

cat oddball, louie, cami
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klburen
LOL. ya tha's one way!

When I was a kid, I was very lazy for cleaning the kitty litter, so my kitty used to go poop else where in the house. My Dad woudl smell/find the kitty callings left on the floor, and that's when the yelling started. What did I learn from this experiance?
If I don't clean the box, dad yells and me, BUT then he goes and cleans it

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klburen
Well, sometimes I threaten to make him sleep by himself if he doesn't do what I want, and this usually is a good motivator.

And if I start yelling this always lead to door slamming and this also sometimes "wakes" him up, but I reserve my tantrums for more serious matters.

Maybe I'll get the cat to poo on his side of the bed, and when he finds it say, "Well, you won't help me scoop, so Gerona had to go somewhere else."

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

take a trip to Victoria's Secret. LOL!!

is there something that you help him out with? don't do it for a while!

i totally understand where you are coming from, though. i can neeever get my friend jim to do ANYthing around this house, even though he practically lives here.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

One step at a time ... Just have to train him one step at a time!

I think I might lay off of him for a little while about the cat box because yesterday I had a FIT because he took Seamus outside and came back inside 5 minutes later for Seamus to POO in the house (we're trying to transfer Seamus from paper to outside right now). I was fussing, "I TOLD you this was the time of day for Seamus to poo and you won't stand out there long enough for him to do it! Just because Kirby takes two seconds doesn't mean Seamus is the same way!" I was so angry, you wouldn't believe! Sometimes I will stand out there for 30 minutes or more until Seamus does his business, but I always make sure he goes!

So, I wouldn't let him snuggle in the bed and I was grumpy all morning, which motivated him to take Seamus outside for 20 minutes until he did his morning poo.

It's a shame men take longer to train than puppies. I just have to be patient with the poo thing and work on one thing at a time.

You just have to keep working on Jim! He'll figure it out if you keep working him and have patience! We need a book called A Woman's Guide to Training the Human Male!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

For me it was fairly simple.

My hubby is a Gadget Guy. If it does anything automatically he's in on it all the way lol.

Soooooooo.......

For Christmas I bought him a LitterMaid

http://www.littermaid.com/
(BTW watch the video lol)

He ADMIRED the litter box for almost a month after that.

The first day was a hoot... "AHhhhhhhhhh that's the box. Look honey it's working! Check it out...no poopoo in the sand...." etc lol

After the first month it got a bit old as he moved onto new gadgets but no one seems to have a problem picking up the lil poo catcher on the box and tossing it in the trash.

My son picked up the chore of changing the sand though lol

It was a good start though

- Deb

Last edited by PicOlio; 08-08-2004 at 10:39 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Miss New Booty

We have this totally awesome thing called the litter robot!!!!

http://www.litter-robot.com/

However... my cat Snuggles decided he didn't like the covered box so we aren't using it right now since we moved, but the thing is so cool! Dena got one, too! Her cats love it!! They are pretty pricy, but my other 2 cats did great with it and it was worth the money. We only needed to do a scrub down cleaning once every few months and emptied the bottom about once or twice a week. Snuggles just doesn't like the cover, some cats just hate it! We are going to put it back in the room eventually, with a regular box for Snugs.

Brad does the litter duty here.

Pihlaja, I hope he starts to help you out with the boxes!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
The first day was a hoot... "AHhhhhhhhhh that's the box. Look honey it's working! Check it out...no poopoo in the sand...." etc lol

BTW, Pihlaja, I looove your new title.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 10:13 PM

Yes I have litter duty and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my litter robot. I used to have a litter maid and I hated it. Tossed it in the garbage after a year. The litter robot I empty once a week and clean it once every couple of months. The best part about it is the cats always go into nice clean litter so it makes us all happy.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm actually very lucky because Mike is the one who cleans the litter box. If I happen to be right there when the cats go, I'll do it, but Mike usually is the one who scoops. I'm not sure why he does it besides the fact that he wants it done quickly! The only suggestion I have is leave it so he has no choice but to clean it out!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
BTW, Pihlaja, I looove your new title.
I'm Pawtalk's poo panner now.

Dena and kittygurl, when the litter robot was delivered to you, was the package very large (and heavy)? I'm thinking that the next time Sami and I go to the states to visit my family, we just might order that and bring it back to Finland with us (since they don't ship international). When I first saw it, I was tihnking, "Oh my stars, what in the world is THAT!?" But after reading about it, it actually seems like a good option for us (I will just have to start saving my euros ).

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 07:43 AM

The package was pretty large but not too bad weight wise. You might want to consider ordering it well in advance of your trip to the states because it takes about 3 weeks to get it. They hand build them or at least they did when I bought mine. You also want to make sure that you try it out before you go back to Finland in case anything is wrong with it. Good luck!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

I always yell at Dan for not helping scoop the box. Every once in a while he'll do it, but it's mainly me that will help with the cat. I don't mind it though, as we have the flushable litter and I can scoop it, flush it and be on my way. Plus, the litter is Arm and Hammer, so it's not stinky like some of the other stuff I've purchased in the past. But, I think in order for me to get another cat, I'll have to do all the work.

Karen

[

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Miss New Booty

Yup Dena is right! The box was pretty large, but it didn't seem too heavy! The cats sure loved checking it out!!! They say to leave it there for a bit for them to *check out* and see what it is.

Oh that would be so cool, I hope you can get one! Keep us posted on if you do!!! Isn't it the coolest looking thing!!!!

~* Jackie *~

Tags
kitty litter, litter box