Panting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Panting

How often do your cats pant?
Pixel pants more often than any cat my boyfriend or I have knownm but we've never had a cat as active as Pixel either. It's something she's always done (she's 10 months) but I'm wondering if it's a problem.
When we first got her, she had an URI so I thought that's why she panted so much. After she got spayed we were really careful not to wear her out so much. But now that she's back to her active self, she pants all the time, after a few minutes of running and jumping.
Is that normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No.

Any time a cat is open mouth breathing, at the ER clinic we recommend they come in right away. I'd have her checked by your vet for a heart problem or other issues such as asthma.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Miss New Booty

I agree with Steph, something doesn't sound right, Natasha. I wonder if Pixel could have asthma? Snuggles has asthma, but in all honesty, I don't think I've seen him pant from it. Hmmm.. Is there any wheezing or coughing going on? Snuggles was doing a more like a hacking cough and I could hear him wheezing in his lungs. I would definately get it checked out by the vet. Keep us posted.

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 02:48 PM

Just to chip in, our cat only pants when he's extremely stressed out. When he's going to the vet and about to have a panic attack, he'll be panting, drooling, the whole 9 yards. I'd agree with getting him checked out.

Clover, Australian Shepherd Mutt

Loki, Shorthair Feline Terror

Gizmo and Mogwai, Guinea Pigs

Tailchaser and Scuffledig, Devil Gerbils
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

My cat only has panted while we were waiting in the car together and it was 80 degrees my car is dark green so it got really hot she was ok when she was outsie and cooled down i also put water on her and put the ac on. Is that panting somewhat normal?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well she was likely panting because she was overheated. Unless overheating is considered normal, I'd say no. But as a reaction to being overheated, yes.

Quote:
SIGNS OF HEAT STROKE
Signs of heat stroke are intense, rapid panting, wide eyes, salivating, staggering and weakness. Advanced heat stroke victims will collapse and become unconscious. The gums will appear pale and dry. If heat stroke is suspected and you can take the animal's temperature rectally, any temperature above 106 degrees is dangerous. The longer the temperature remains at or above 106 degrees the more serious the situation. If you return to your car or the area in which the animal was confined and find your pet seems to be highly agitated, wide-eyed and panting uncontrollably... start for the nearest animal hospital right away with the air conditioning at full blast.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/hs.html

Stephanie

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Well as soon as she started pantying i put her little harness and leash on her and we went outside, then when the ferry came in i had to go int the car and i jsut started pouring water on her and turned on the ac to max and she sat on my lap where i blew right onto her, she didnt like that but i didnt want her to get sick. It scared me! but she only pants when she gets too hot.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 11:14 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

my cat tobbie used to pant when he went outside, but since i stopped takin him outside in the middle of summer, he hasnt panted in about a year or so... he used to pant and meow when we went for car rides but now he just goes into the back seat and lays down like the dogs do
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Part of the Pack

My cat Simba pants when he does his laps around my house or my room every other week. So this isn't normal? He goes to the vet twice a year and they haven't told me anything about it. He also pants sometimes when he's going to the vet and when I did tell the pet nurse there she said it was normal because he was stressed but I didn't ask about him doing it when he's running around.

My babies...

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Sonny panted when I took him vet coz he was scred but never have I seen them pant any other time

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my cat only pants when she goes in the box to go to the vet...its stress for her

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thanks for all of the input and advice, everyone.
i was really hoping to hear that i was just over-reacting
instead, i will be calling the vet.
pixel pants from stress, too. actually, she pants the most when we take car trips. that's the only time it has really scared me, because she wheezes and her paws get clammy.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Galina only pants after a LONG work out in the living room with her chasing the magical "feather-stick."

I never thought of it as anything serious because the panting only lasts around 2 minutes or less and afterwards, she's fine.

But with Pixel doing it so frequently, I would probably go with Jade's advice and have a vet see her.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:37 AM

Egg is also 10 months old and pants for about 1-2mins after play time if its warm, she lays on the cold wood floor pants abit and then comes back for more after a few mins rest, i haven't been concerned but let me know the outcome in case there's something to worry about

Tags
animal hospital