Part 2, litter box - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Part 2, litter box

Ok, well most of you know about Snuggles not liking the covered box, etc. Here is that thread! lol

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...threadid=14383
Ok, well my idea of closing off the closet worked for awhile... then a puddle outside of it! Now, he keeps peeing and it's against the wall board going through the side, through the cracks in the carpet, impossible to get it out! Does that make sense? It happens atleast once a day. It's not spraying, just next to the wall and puddles on the floor. I don't know what to do, if this was our house we would surely be tiling, and as it is, we have to redo the carpet when we move out. I have used vinegar, Smple solution, Nature's miracle, and just when I think he stopped, he starts again. Now, when I go to my parents house in West Palm, I have my 3 cats and Gabby sharing 1 box on a TILE floor. NO pee on the floor there!!!!!!!!! So, I am gathering this is just in the carpet and the smell won't come out. We have the normal uncovered box in there and the litter robot. Do you know my vet said 2 boxes per cat is the "rule of thumb" Am I supposed to have 6 boxes!?!?! He said I might need 3, but I don't even have room for a 3rd and I have no where else tile to move my current boxes!The robot is self cleaning and we scoop the other one every other day, (its clay litter) I talked to my vet about this, and he said it could be behavioral... he gave me a script for Elavil, a behavior modifying drug for him to try out. I haven't gotten it yet, b/c at my parents house when I was there, he wasn't doing it. I don't know if that will help, but I am gonna get it soon to try. Is there anything else I can do to get this awful smell of cat urine out of the room!?!?! Ohh it's soo strong! I don't know if I will ever be able to get it out of the cracks by the wall.. **sighhh**

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 08:47 PM

Yikes! Cat pee on wood, ooh not good. Can you try putting a plastic carpet runner on top of it? I don't know if that will work. Hmmm... I think it does sound behavioral. He needs a shrink Jackie! Maybe if we all take our 'problem' cats together we can get a group discount?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Pigsterz! A group discount!!! Well, you know like the border at the bottom of the wall? Baseboards!! That's the word I am looking for! It's like all in those cracks right there! Is it white vinegar or regular vinegar, or it doesn't matter which kind? YES I thought of a runner.. that was my next idea! My moms idea actually! Well, I tried that linoleum OVER the carpet deal, and that worked for a bit, until he peed there and it soaked through and was on the other side... then the room smelled like cat urine and linoleum! LOL! And I can't get the smells out of the closet, either. Since I leave that shut, ( my idea that worked for a bit) it's so stuffy!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I have been very fortunate when I had cats.They all used the litter box.I don't know if baking soda would work but it might be worth a try.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

omg Jackie I don't know what I would do at this point. The group discount sounds good to me... I can bring my puker?

I'd fill that script, although I know it's not going to be cheap - but it just may work!

I agree with Pigsterz, it does sound behavioral. Habitual? Call it whatever - but I do think it sounds like some kind of habitual behavior. OK - was that the most redundant statement or what?

Poor Snugs - poor you and Brad! That is a really impossible smell to deal with

I wish there was some kind of magic to just make him stop doing it and have the smell go away too!

[center]

[
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:24 PM

Guys I can totally sympathize with Jackie on this one. When we had Spanky and lived at the other apt, he did it in the dining room area! And boy he picked every single spot in that area, and always along the walls. So the baseboards got soaked. It was really icky. We never ate in that room and never invited any friends over.

Jackie - for the smell, do try baking soda. And how about those air purifiers like ionic breeze or something? That might help for you & Brad? Or how about me & Deja pitch in and buy you a bunch of clothespins for noseclips?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Pigsterz , I think we should do that

I love my Ionic Breeze! I have 2 of them - one in the family room where everyone and every pet hangs out and one in my bedroom. I think they work great. Baking Soda is a great idea- I hadn't even thought of that - since it's powdery it's possible you can sprinkle and saturate the baseboards getting it behind and into any cracks, etc... and it will hang around there maybe soaking up any moisture and absorbing some of the smell?

Hrrrm- I think I even have some old nose-plugs somewhere! The real dorky kind with the thick rubber strap that goes around your head - oh how sexy you both would look wearing those!!

[center]

[
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

LOL you guys! Nose plugs! I need some of those! Yes, I think I will give baking soda a try! In between the cracks of the wall, sprinkle it in there, that should help! I had some Arm and Hammer baking soda carpet sprinkle pet stuff (did u get all that!? ! ) and it made the room smell awesome, have to get some more of that, too!
Ughh Pigsterz, that sounds exactly what Snugs is doing in the kitty room!!!!!
Linda- Yes I want to get one of those Ionic Breezes/air things as well! Or some type of air/ filter thingie! We have been checking into those, also to limit the too' dust in the house also!
Thanks guys I will try the baking soda!!!! (or the noseplugs! hahaha! )

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 12:09 PM

I have one suggestion. Some of our customers have told us that cats that would habitually go outside the litter box began using it consistently when changing to a litter called Cat Attract. This litter is infused with a scent that attracts cat to use the box. Their website is www.preciouscat.com and has a lot of good information on it. I would like to add that we have no affiliation with this site or their product, but quite a few of our customers have told me that this product got their cats using the Litter Robot consistently, so I wanted to pass it along.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Ohhh Thank you so much Lauren!!! I will have to check this litter out!!!! I see from the site, it looks like they carry it both at PetCo and Petsmart, so I will go check it out!
He is still peeing, the whole corner by the wall/ closet is stained. I tried baking soda, it helped a little, then he peed right on it! I am opening my window every day so it smells better in there. Every time I see urine on the floor, I soak it with Simple Solution and leave it soaking, I later went over the stains with my steam cleaner, helped a little. Now, just getting by the floorboards is the problem. It's just soaked so much in the carpet, thats where he thinks he is supposed to go I guess! Brad did see him though, the other night, go pee in the regular box! Yay!
Thanks again for that link, Lauren!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 09:25 PM

Jackie, it's time you take Snuggles to see the Pet Psychic! Maybe he can channel why he insists on peeing on the carpet. LOL.

Oh, another thing that I tried is putting aluminum foil on the spot. *Supposedly* cats don't like the crinkly-sound that foil makes when they step on it. I've also tried putting cayenne pepper on top of the foil because cats don't like that peppery smell. These are just ideas I'm throwing out. They never worked for me. Spanky just kept peeing right on it.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:01 PM

There is a new product on the market that is completely environmentally safe and non toxic and is used to eliminate odor (including skunk) They claim that it is industrial and commercial and has even been used to clean up oil spills. It is called Petrotech Order Eliminator. I'll have to search around to see where it is available. They introduced it at at pet supply trade show last year and everyone I have talked to says it works really well. Since I have purchased it I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:35 PM

Here is a link to the company site and it lists the stores that it is available in by state or you can buy it directly through them

http://sea-yu.com
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Pigsterz! The Pet Psychic! ROTFL!
"Snuggles says he is peeing on the carpet b.c he feels like it!"

Thanks so much for the suggestions... Should I put foil all over the corner area of the carpet? Hey anything is worth a try!! How can I get it to stay put on the carpet?

Ohhh thanks Dena! I'm so gonna check that out!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Yay I checked online Dena, and they sell the spray at Pet Supermarket, so I don't even have to order it! Will be going to get some of that definately! Did you say you have this spray, but just haven't used it yet?

~* Jackie *~

Tags
kitty litter, litter box