Peeing outside of litterbox - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Question Peeing outside of litterbox

One of my parent's cats, Ivy, frequently urinates outside of the litterbox. She is in the box but as she is urinating, she lifts up her bum and the urine ends up outside of the box. This started happening after she got fixed and she is now 10 years old. Would an enclosed litter box help this problem? My mother just had hip surgery and it is a pain for her to clean up the wall and the floor everytime Ivy urinates outside of the litterbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Fluffy Chimphead

they can try a covered litter box but some cats just don't like them for some reason. I know my cats love having the covered litter box but that is becuase of where the litter box is. we have it in the bathroom and cats tend to be private animals and like to do their business in private. My brother tried the coverd litter box and his cats hated it. they can try it but no promises.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 04:58 AM

My cats dislike a covered litter box too but it might be worth a try in your case. Also can you maybe buy a bigger normal style litter box or do you already have the biggest? Maybe a bit more room might give her the space she requires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 06:40 PM

I was wondering how big the box is myself. Also, they sell those booda dome litter boxes, where they literally have to walk in and around to get to the litter pan.

Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box Supplies for Cats
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Miss New Booty

Denise, I would definately suggest your mom try a covered litter box for Ivy, too. And it sounds like from what you are describing, she's just kind of missing the box because she stands so high up on the side (not deliberatly peeing on the floor or wall), so I think a covered box would help. Some cats really don't like them (like my Snuggles lol) but it's worth a shot, ya know?
The booda dome looks cool. But then again, we spent $300 on a self cleaning covered litter robot 3 years ago that Snuggles decided he didn't like and started to pee on the floor..

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the responses. It is the way Ivy situates herself when she is in the box. My mom said she gets in the box length wise but as she is peeing she turns herself around and has her butt right on the edge of the box and like I said, she raises her butt in the air as she pees. What a pain! The box they have is the biggest size available and it doesn't do a **** bit of good. I will tell my mom to try the enclosed litterbox.

I was actually thinking of getting a cat at one point but after hearing all the stories of how they have problems with spraying and not using the litterbox, I think I will take a pass. And no offense to anyone that has a cat. I think cats are awesome but I wouldn't take the chance of having a cat that has problems like that.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

I had a similar problem with my cats, exept it was with littler, not urine. They whould dig and dig and dig in the box till the litter was flowing over the edge. So I bought a covered box with a swinging door, but they wouldn't use it, so I took the door off and now all is GOOD! Definitely try it and let us know if it all works out!

Tags
covered litter box, litter box, litter boxes, litter pan