Pet Cremation-What do you think? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Pet Cremation-What do you think?

Hi Everyone,

I lost my 16 year old Golden Retriever when I was 21 years old. It was devastating and I still get misty-eyed thinking about her.

I am now 29 years old and I want to offer cremation services that weren't available to me when my dog passed away.

Please help me realize my goal by answering a few questions:
**I apologize in advance if any of these questions are unsettling.**

1. If your dog passed away, how would you handle the disposition of your pet? (Burial, Cremation, Leave it up to my vet)

2. Would you consider placing your pet in a pet cemetery?

3. Would you prefer to have your pet euthanized at home or at a vet's office?

4. What kind of grief materials or counseling would be useful to you?

5. Would you consider pre-planning a cremation for your pet?

6. How much do you think is reasonable for an individual cremation? (Your pet would be cremated alone and returned to you in an urn.) a) $50 b) $100 c) 150 d) $200 e) $250 f) $300+

7. Are you a man or a woman?
8. How old are you?
9. What kind of pets do you own?

Thank you so much for any kind of information. I really want to help pet owners with the heart wrenching grief that comes from the loss of a pet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Newborn Pup

Cremation is a great memorial for pets!

My name is Paul, my wife and I have been involved in rescuing animals for over 15yrs. In that time we have kept many of our rescues, we currently have 4 urns with remains of our little ones! One of the remains are that of a pit bull that had been abandoned in our town, she had pups in a wooded area, i was able to find the 2 that survived and re-home them but Lucy, I named her that when i started trying to trap her, would never trust me after I took them.

I tracked her and watched her for seven months with the help of other animal rescue organizations but we could never get her. She was hit by a car one cold January morning and died. The person who hit her was kind enough to leave her body at animal control and they gave her to me. Shamrock Animal Foundation paid for her cremation and sge will always be with us!

It cost us $125 for each cremation and they give the ashes back in a little bag in a cremation box that has the pets name and cremation date on it. We open it and put our a little something in with them, a family pic, a rose or something they enjoyed!

Good Luck, cremation for pets is a wonderful way to keep them with us!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Playful Pup

I always have my dogs cremated. It helps me deal with the loss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Newborn Pup

I cremated my old dog and have its ashes by a picture of it on one of my shelves. It's a nice reminder of one of my favorite old pets, but it's certainly not for everybody; some people may not want a frequent reminder of their deceased pets.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 PM
canis lupus familiaris

1. Your vet will always have your animal cremated. Its standard practice. I'd like to bury my animals whole because it is cheaper. I'd like to wrap them in an organic blanket and give them back to the Earth.

2. No I would not do a burial plot. I don't have anything against them but I'd rather have their resting place be somewhere they like. It isn't 100% legal because most people chalk their animals full of chemicals which could seriously harm the environment. I don't. If I had a cancer pet, they would likely go in a plot.

3. I would rather wake up to an animal that has passed in their sleep. I'd rather do it at home because animals can become frightened at a vet hospital, especially when their owners aren't there. My first euthanasia was a cancer cat who was sent home. While she was dying, she still tried to love on her mom. Mom couldn't handle watching her die and sent her to the back to be put down. She didn't have much energy but she stared down the exam room door where her mom was crying. Animals often don't close their eyes when they die, having their last emotions plastered onto their face.

4. I just need to cry. Nothing makes me feel better than to cry. I believe in reincarnation so I know they will be back. Maybe we will meet again.

5. If I knew they were going to die soon and planned out for the future, yes I would pre-plan it. It can be expensive and I will likely spend more for my eldest son that I have had for almost 13 years now. 13 years...we grew up together and he has been with me through the toughest of times (oh those teenage years.) I have planned for some stuff even though I don't expect him to go.

6. Expense depends on a lot of things. Individual cremation gets more expensive with the type of urn. Cancer cat's mom spent $700 for an individual cremation with a gold urn and stones.

7. I'm a lass
8. 22
9. I currently have dogs and cats

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Oh and also consider that some cremation services offer different sorts of ashes. The first vet clinic I interned at only did ground (the fine stuff you throw into the water or something.) Some offer regular ashes.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

1. If your dog passed away, how would you handle the disposition of your pet? (Burial, Cremation, Leave it up to my vet)
We have the most awesome company here that offers this service.....Both my dogs were cremated

2. Would you consider placing your pet in a pet cemetery?
No, they are home with me

3. Would you prefer to have your pet euthanized at home or at a vet's office?
Wherever it is required at the time. My last girl was 5mths rushed to vet but sadly did not make it, brought her home and the company sent out their van to pick her up. She was treated with utmost respect the entire time!

4. What kind of grief materials or counseling would be useful to you?
The company that did my dogs gave me reading material and talked to me about it all

5. Would you consider pre-planning a cremation for your pet?
Maybe

6. How much do you think is reasonable for an individual cremation? (Your pet would be cremated alone and returned to you in an urn.) a) $50 b) $100 c) 150 d) $200 e) $250 f) $300+
I paid AU$300+ for each of mine (pricing is by pet weight). They came in a beautiful redwood box with a photo placed in it, a cremation certificate, hair and pawprint in a lovely booklet (with poems), a teddy bear. Absolutely beautiful!

7. Are you a man or a woman?
Woman

8. How old are you?
40+

9. What kind of pets do you own?
Dog, cats, mouse, fish

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Playful Pup

I tried pet cremation when bubba died last month,the basic cost of private pet cremation averages from $150 to $300, depending on the size of the pet.I consulted in Peternity(dot)com for the urn and the treegivers, I plant a tree in my own garden for "remembrance."

Top-Quality, Reliable and Fashionable
and
-PetStreetMall.com

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Newborn Pup

I'm nether for nor against pet cremation. I know many people who have done it, me personally have never done it as I prefer burial.
Cost would all depend on the size of the animal.

Tags
cremation