piercing pets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

piercing pets

ok, so i got in a bit of trouble for resurrecting the old thread "Gothic kitten"

so i'm reposting it to see if anyone who's new would like to weigh in on the story.. and if someone can show me how to put a new poll up on the subject that would be awesome~!

here's the link to the story; http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...2/kittens.html

this started in 2008 when the tip off, some local news stations just picked it up two days ago too because she's almost done her time.

this is the most recent article; http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...38-504083.html

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Betta Bomb

There you go!! Keep it recent

How she met "requirements" to resume grooming is beyond me! Anyone can hold a brush and clippers and become a groomer these days by the sounds of it -_- gross.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

yeah i don't think anyone's paying attention though... >.< oh well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 AM
It's all for them

The second link did not work but I found this story dated March 2010

http://citizensvoice.com/news/woman-...ppeal-1.653105

Quote:
Three of the confiscated kittens had pierced ears, one's tail had been docked and one had a rubber band around its tail, which was later amputated.
This is how she was amputating their tails, by putting rubber bands around them to cut off the circulation until the tail died. I wonder how many kittens suffered from that before she was caught. I wonder how many developed infections and died. I wonder how many suffered.

This woman is SICK and I can't imagine anyone who values their pet at all being willing to put her back in business.

Not only is piercing a kitten's ear a painful dangerous thing that can cause serious injury and pain to the kitten, she is appealing to a market that, if they want this kind of thing, are, pardon me for judging, more likely to abuse the animals.

It's SICK. It's on the same level as Vick and his dog fighting ring, she is no better than he is, and like him, she feels no remorse and will go right back to abusing animals if she can get away with it.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 AM
It's all for them

<edit> the link posted by the OP worked the second time I tried it
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

ahhh, yeah.

i mean honestly, i don't approve of pet piercings. there are a handful of people who have pets with pre-existing holes due to injury or illness that people have said "hey this would look kool let me try it"

http://www.holytaco.com/25-hardcore-pets/

there's a guy in this with a cat who he did NOT pierce. the cat had a wound that just so happened to be able to fit a small stud. i thought it was cool, this is NOT the same as purposefully piercing your cats ears.

i think that this woman was an idiot. i think maybe because i have seen pet piercings and tattoos before when i was much younger it didn't ever occur to me that it was animal cruelty although i just always knew that i would never do it. (btw i think some of those images are photo shopped)

do i think she did it to be closer to her pets, new i think she is a stupid b*tch who took advantage of her kitties and people of a counter culture. Her kittens looked really miserable, and i don't get why the docking of the tail was necessary. i could go on and on about how this woman was a ****.

however, i'm not as likely to think all people who pierce their pets are evil. would i do it? no way! my babies are beautiful without it.... but if my dog had a whole in his ear and i had a stud that would fit it... i would think about it...

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Betta Bomb

Wow, I hate to think those pictures are real?! Who would pay to have their animal sedated for a tattoo?!?!? I'm pretty sure the pigs are used as artists train :/ Unfortunately. The dogs looked SO ugly, what a sin. I dont think its hardcore, to me it shows what kind of an insecure whoos the owner is. As for the goldfish, that looked pretty real but wtf? The tattoo on the fish was definitely real because its done sloppy. Kissing gourami's in pet shops that are pink, green and blue are dyed the same way as are many other tropical fish like tetras. This is insane!! No way would I ever condone this behaviour!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

actually there used to be a gallery on BMEzine that highlighted this kind of thing, its been going on for a long time. there were about 2500 pictures of pierced and tattooed pets... however after this woman got busted its gone. Now they have an opinion piece up about how piercing your animals is evil.

hmmm i wonder... what changed their minds? new editors? idk

that's the funny thing. people have been doing this for years but never with intention of selling their animals for profit. i wonder what happened to all those pictures...

what do you think?

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Betta Bomb

They must be kicking around somewhere, probably when someone bad ruins something of sport (Dog fighting, tattooing etc. . .) it suddenly negatively appeals to the masses and once they make it unpopular then anyone accused of housing pro-sport things become targeted by the people who love the animals. Its a cycle but remember how revolutions start Dog fighting used to be popular in the states but because dog lovers were horrified at the practice they made it uncool and cruel in mass numbers until the government made it illegal.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
They must be kicking around somewhere, probably when someone bad ruins something of sport (Dog fighting, tattooing etc. . .) it suddenly negatively appeals to the masses and once they make it unpopular then anyone accused of housing pro-sport things become targeted by the people who love the animals. Its a cycle but remember how revolutions start Dog fighting used to be popular in the states but because dog lovers were horrified at the practice they made it uncool and cruel in mass numbers until the government made it illegal.
yeah, but i don't think just taking down the pictures is addressing the issue. i wish i could talk to some of these people who tattooed their pets and actually ask them what were you thinking?

yeah, but i think that's a matter of perspective. they still do it in other countries, and cock fighting is still legal in the us too.

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

It's illegal to pierce or tattoo animals just for the heck of it here.
The link with "hardcore pets":
Some of it looks like photo manipulation, but most looks real.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

In earlier times, getting pets small tattoos as a form of ID was actually pretty common - back before microchips where around. Usually it was just a very short set of numbers or letters, usually put in a spot like the inner thigh or ear on a dog for example. You can register your dogs tattoo code into a directory the same way you can register microchips. There are still some people who use these types of tattoos as a form of ID for their pets.

Breeders of certain animals still use tattoos regularly to ID animals as well. Actually, one of my rabbits has a tattoo in his ear. I rescued him and he had it when I got him. Rabbit breeders and showers commonly place tattoos in the inner ear as a form of ID. I'm not positive, but I think it might be a requirement for show rabbits.

Some animal shelters actually give animals a small tattoo, usually in the ear or on the stomach/groin, when they neuter or spay the animal. That way, it's easier to tell that the animal is fixed if it's ever picked up again. Especially for females, it can be hard to tell whether an animal is fixed or not without using more expensive/invasive procedures such as an ultrasound or exploratory surgery. When my sister found a stray dog, we knew she was already spayed because she had a green line tattooed on her stomach - which is what the local shelter does when they spay females in her town.

I'm not saying that I support tattooing all over your pets body like in some of those pictures - but I can see it's uses as a form of ID. When I was debating whether or not I wanted to get my dog microchipped, I actually considered getting him tattooed as an alternative to a chip. I don't see too much of a difference personally between inserting a device under my pets skin, and a very small tattoo. Some vets will give the tattoo while your pet is already sedated for a neuter or other procedure.

Here's a picture of my Barnaby's tattoo.

It's on the inside of his ear. It's not really noticeable unless you already know it's there and look for it.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 12-14-2010 at 05:07 PM.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
is a little "special"

Those tattooed pets look really disturbing, if those pictures are indeed real. I obviously wouldn't pierce my pets, but if there was an already existing hole... Well, I might be tempted to add some bling, LOL!

Personally, though, I don't think that tattooing small animals for identification is that bad of an idea. When it comes to rabbits and other stray small animals that are found, most people dont think to check for a microchip- It isnt very common for animals other than dogs or cats to have them. A tattoed number in their ear or something would be more noticable.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh, for identification I guess its okay if the animal is already sedated. Branding as identification should be banned. And on the topic of having them already sedated, my cousin (I learned) "rescued" another cat last year [she's technically a hoarder but has oddly disconnected herself with me and Lisa] and while the cat was down getting spayed she requested it get a tattoo of a bunny in its ear as id. This blew me away and I think its ugly and unnecessary. A line or spot tattoos as id are fine but it crosses the bridge when you want to get 'creative' with it, In my opinion.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Usually ID tattoos are a set of numbers or letters, something you can enter into a database easier.

I don't really have a problem with "creative" ID tattoos as long as they are small, recognizable, and were done humanly. If they work as ID, then that's what counts. What's the difference if the tattoo is a set of numbers, or a bunny, as long as it works for the intended purpose. The only problem I see, is I'm not quite sure how you'd be able to enter a more creative ID into a database as easily as you could a short set of letters/numbers.

I actually read a story a few years back about a cat that was reunited with it's owners thanks to a small "Hello Kitty" ID tattoo. Not personally my style, but apparently it served it's purpose as ID. I wish I could link to the story but it was so long ago now that I couldn't find it again.

Tags
animal abuse, cat, piercings