Pixel's Boyfriend - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Pixel's Boyfriend

Ok everybody, please help me figure out what to do about this!
Soon after we moved in here in August, I started seeing this cat around during the day. I figured it was a neighbor's cat, and he was actually pretty small still. Well, then one night at about 3am (my boyfriend works 'til 1 so we're up late) he comes up to the window to see Pixel. So we think it's cute but not much else. Well, gradually he's been coming more and more often, and getting more and more comfortable with us so he stays longer and longer. We thought he looked pretty healthy because he's big and fluffy, but that might all be hair, I dunno.
The thing that worries me is that we see him at least 3 nights a week, real late like between 1 and 5 am and it has been really cold here. It just doesn't seem like people would let their pets out that late, and it's all apartment buildings here, so no kitty flaps. Plus, there's still snow on the ground, and if you see a white spec on his face in this pic, it's actually a tear of eye goopies that was frozen all down his face.

So what do you guys think? Is he someone's cat, or is he looking for a new home?

Oh, and he doesn't have a collar. I was thinking about buying one and seeing if he'd let me put it on him and attaching a note that says "What's my name?" or something. Do you guys think that's a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

what i did when i found a purebred dog (obviously belonged to someone) is i made a little "found" flyer. maybe you could take him in with you (serperated!) and put him in the bathroom and make a flyer on the computer and put it all around and in the laundry room, etc. if he has an owner in the apt's, they are bound to see it. just put one on your door and on the posts around the different stair-wells. if it were summer-time i would maybe suggest just putting the flyers (with a "is this your cat?" thing on it), but if it is snowing, then i would take him in (at least at night). it's much too cold for him to be out there.
you can also take him by a shelter or vets to see if he's microchipped, just in case.

good luck! you may just have another cat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 05:32 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Jane gave some awesome advice about what to do. I think you should take him (her? ) in--at least for now--since no kitty should have to tolerate the cold weather. And he would probably greatly appreciate a warm meal.

Just be sure to keep him separated from Pixel in your apartment. Keeping him in the bedroom or bathroom is fine. You don't want them together in case he may have parasites or a disease that you don't know about and can't find out about until he's been seen by a vet. If you do decide to keep him (you never know--it's possible!), I would have him recieve a full check up by a vet before you start introducing him to your little lady.

Until then, flyers would be a great idea. And making a call to your local animal shelter could be good, too, to see if anyone has reported a missing cat that fits his description.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for all the great advice, and especially for supporting the idea of bringing him in! I need all the help I can get in convincing my boyfriend!

I'm definitely going to try to get him to come inside and then make some posters.
Right now, he's much too scared. He'll only come within about three feet of me, and if I make the slightest movement, he's out of there. But I think I'm gonna pick up some flea shampoo just in case...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

Also be very careful of yourself. You never know if hes a wild cat and has rabies, so make sure you wear thick leather gloves to prevent a bite Be safe!

Psst...I have baby ringneck doves for sale! Pieds and an albino! Contact me for availability and pricing! Shipping can be worked out!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'll be careful!
I haven't gotten him yet, though. The kids around here are constantly partying on the weekends, so he tends to stay away from all the noise.

I went out there with a bowl of food in my hand the other day and he was just about to eat out of it when my next door neighbor walks by. And of course he starts complaining about me feeding the cat because then he's going to come back for more. And then he proceeds to tell me that this cat has been hanging out on his porch for months. So what's the difference? Argh.
Anyway I'm only feeding him until I can get him inside and find him a home.

Tags
animal shelter, local animal shelter