Is this plant poisonous? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Is this plant poisonous?

Does anyone if Dracaena sanderana (a.k.a. "Lucky Bamboo") is poisonous to cats? Its the stuff that looks like bamboo and is usually sold in a pot with oriental designs on it, or in a glass container with rocks and water. I bought one and I know that Ollie is going to chew on it. He chews on everything so I need to know if I should put it where he can't reach it. I checked out the list on A.S.P.C.A.'s site and couldn't find it, but I did see another kind of dracaena on there so I'm worried. Does anyone know if its safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

According to this list it is.

'Dracaena Sanderiana ("Lucky Bamboo")'

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jade. I thought it might be since its in the dracaena family.
I'll find another place for it where he can't reach it. I noticed it also said golden pothos on the list. I have a pothos plant but I think its called a marble pothos. He chews on it all the time and nothing happens. Should I remove it anyway since its in the pothos family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

This page has just pothos listed, which I can only assume means the entire family. It's related to the Philodendron, which has calcium oxalate crystals as it's toxic part.

Stephanie

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'll move that one too. I had no idea that pothos were toxic.